Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-15-2008, 01:42 AM   #76
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladdin View Post
I finally made it work...

I don't understand all of it (I'm not a programmer...), but what I do understand is that I must use a new model file "BookCreator.dot" right from the zip archive each time I want to make it work. I can't use a simple model, I must use a new one, so it's what you said on another message (silly me...) :

In fact, I must open the BC template by double clicking on the Windows Explorer (it doesn't work when I create a document using the template within Word), then make my book (the Import button, or simply type my text) and save. Then the "lrf" button works...

I must use a new model file "BookCreator.dot", because if I don't save the changes on the model when asked (even if I saved my book on a separate file), I get an error. But the next time I use this saved model, it doesn't work, I get errors...
This is odd. It sounds like the BookCreator template is getting saves and getting corrupted. Try making your BookCreator.dot file R/O so that it cannot be saved over. This will save you time having to extract the File every time you wish to create a book.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:59 AM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How do I change the amount of paragraph indents? I've changed the tab setting and I've even converted the tabs into spaces and I still get indents that are too large.

Also, I want to set a base font that is not too small. I tried doing a --base-font-size in the advanced and that did not work.

If these two issues could be fixed, this would be a very nice tool. Thanks.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-15-2008 at 05:06 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #78
Saladdin
Enthusiast
Saladdin is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
This is odd. It sounds like the BookCreator template is getting saves and getting corrupted. Try making your BookCreator.dot file R/O so that it cannot be saved over. This will save you time having to extract the File every time you wish to create a book.
Yes, that's what I did... But now I still must save a copy when asked to save the changes of BookCreator.dot (and delete it after because it won't work anymore...) otherwise the ebook isn't created. Not a big deal, that'll do !

Thank you for this good tool !
Saladdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #79
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Jon
You did not mention where you are having the problem ePUB, LRF, or within BookCreator. I’ll take the shotgun approach and answer for all the platforms.

Question 1: Font size setting
For ePUB/LRF you do not have to use ‘--base-font-size’ there is a GUI setting. (See attahced thumbnail image )

For ePUB/LRF
To change the default font size use the “Base Font “, located under the “Page Layout” tab. The default size is “8”, change it to your preferred size. I believe you like 10?

BookCreator
To permanently change the font size on BookCreator.(until the next upgrade).
1) Open up BookCreator.dot via the “File|Open…” menu option
2) Navigate to the BookCreator.dot file
3) Right click on the “_1 Text” Style located under the “Styles and Formats” and selected the “Modify…” menu option.
4) Depress the <Format> button and select the “Fonts…” menu.
//Once the font changes are made save and close the file.

Question 2: Paragraph indentation:

ePUB
It seems calibre’s ePUB seems to have some issues with CSS created from MS Word/BookCreator. The result is calibre ends up using it’s default CSS. The only workaround at the time is for the user to pass in their CSS commands under the “Additional Parameters” edit box.

LRF
For LRF calibre is very good at using the stylesheets so changes must be made in Bookcreator .

BookCreator
To permanently change the font size on BookCreator.(until the next upgrade).
Note: Paragraph settings are unique to each style. So you will have to repeat for each style you want to modify.
1) Open up BookCreator.dot via the “File|Open…” menu option
2) Navigate to the BookCreator.dot file
3) Right click on the “_1 Text” Style located under the “Styles and Formats” and selected the “Modify…” menu option.
4) Depress the <Format> button and select the “Paragraph…” menu.
5) Change indentation section
//Note: The Left/Right edit boxes change the whole paragraph. The Special section changes the first line indent among other specialized paragraph features
See attached thumbnails for visuals

=X=
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LRF_Page-Layout_Fontsize.png
Views:	618
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	17899   Click image for larger version

Name:	BC_Paragraph_setting.png
Views:	619
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	17900  

Last edited by =X=; 11-15-2008 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling
Old 11-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #80
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Thanks for the help, +x+.

I did figure it out: since I am using 64bit Vista, the path to the Calibre files was wrong. I have to point to Program File (x86). Duh:-)

Thanks again!
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #81
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
Im not sure how stupid I am being, but once I have opened up bookcreator in word, nothing appears to be happening?

There is no indication where to select the styles or gui, to conver a file?

I dont get it.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:56 AM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Thank you very much =X= for the help. I'll give it a go sometime soon and let you know how I make out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #83
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhudston View Post
Im not sure how stupid I am being, but once I have opened up bookcreator in word, nothing appears to be happening?

There is no indication where to select the styles or gui, to conver a file?

I dont get it.
You should get a look similar to the screenshot on the first post (without the text ) (link). If not there is something wrong.

You know a picture is worth a million words. Open up the Bookcreator.dot file as you mentioned then post the screen capture here.

=X=
Old 11-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #84
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thank you very much =X= for the help. I'll give it a go sometime soon and let you know how I make out.
Great! Glad I could help.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:29 AM   #85
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finally, Finally, Finally found a tool that works on a Windows Vista Machine in Word 2007, and can convert my writings initially in DOCX to LRF for the Sony Reader.

Wicked, thanks
Old 11-18-2008, 10:29 AM   #86
mjhudston
All round good egg

Oh and the origional fault I had, was down to the security settings, so appologies for that - Am I Bad.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:02 PM   #87
tesseract420
tesseract420 is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-500
Hi, I'm having problems with Book Creator.
Mac OS X Tiger. I'm using Word 2004 (VB enabled, unlike latest version). Latest versionof Calibre.
When I click on the .dot file, I get a message saying: "Could not open macro storage."
The next message is: "Compile Error Expected: Identifier"
Then three windows open up: one VB project window, another VB Kernel window, and what looks like a tree of VB folders.

Any suggestions?
tesseract420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:34 AM   #88
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract420 View Post
"Could not open macro storage."
Before we solve the other problems. This one has to get resolved. This sounds to me like a security problem. Make sure you drop the macro security or sign the template.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #89
Roberts324
Mad translator
Roberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enough

Device: eBookwise 1150 reader, Samsung E60 reader, SAMSUNG N150 netbook
Hi,

So far, I have been unable to create an ebook for my EB1150. I tried to find a manual of sorts that would tell me, for instance, where to install the BookCreator.dot file; I have first tried a directory of its own, then I relocated it in the directory where impbuild.exe it.

When I use the "IMP" button, I select the directory where I want the .imp file to be, but apparently no .imp file is created - nor is one found by an explorer file search...

Can anyone please help?
Roberts324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #90
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
I am havong a similar problem mentioned in an earlier post. I am using BC 2.52, Vista 64, Word 2007, and Calibre 4.103.

I am sure I have the path set properly to Calibre, which in my case is C:\Calibre.

I go through all the steps just fine and hit the LRF button to create my LRF file and all seems to go well, but I can never find the LRF file - as if it was never created. It is very frustrating as BC seems to be an excellent program. Help please.
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote