Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
WarGhSt
WarGhSt began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Crashing during highlighting

So ever since I bought my T1 last December I've dealt with crashing during highlighting, causing me to reset the device as a result. This has been happening with every version of firmware. Just recently got very fed up with it so I reformatted the device and factory reset.

Thought I had fixed the problem but unfortunately I was wrong. So I've been contemplating sending it in to see if they can fix it.

With the factory rest the original books were reloaded onto my device so I've been trying to replicate the crash in those but it's not happening.

My question is: What in an EPUB could cause the highlighting/definition grab crash my device? If I could pinpoint it, I might save myself the process of having to send it to Sony. Should I just send it in? I only have a month left on the year-long warranty.
WarGhSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
When you say "crashing" what do you mean? do you get a message?
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
I have been having the same issue lately. I went to the trouble of resetting to factory defaults and then formatting the memory and reloading my books.

I am beginning to believe it may be the ePub I am reading at the moment. It is a commercial ePub that I used Sigil to change some of the formatting on and removed unused styles (of which there were many). I will try to run the ePub checking to see if I have any problems. But I will be following this thread to see if you find anything.
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
WarGhSt
WarGhSt began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
"When you say "crashing" what do you mean? do you get a message?"

Actually, with all the times it's locked up on me I've only gotten a message about the reader program needing to force close once, and that was after I posted this thread.

Because I never got the message before I'd always have to use the hard reset with the pin-hole.

Anyways, I called up Sony and since it was out of the 3 months parts and labor warranty I had to pay $29 to get a brand new one sent to me with a return-address shipping label to send my old one back when the package gets here.

Obviously I'm hoping I don't have any issues with the new one but I'll have a brand new Parts and Labor and One Year Warranty to work with as it's a new device.

In the mean time, I've been reading good old paperbacks of the books I was already reading.
WarGhSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
That "force close" message is an android message akin to the old windoze blue screen of death.... it has popped up an odd time on my t1 as well usually when I am playing around with collections so don't be surprised if it pops up again.. it doean't usually require a reset... btw the reset you perform with the paper clip is a soft reset same as a power re-cycle... good luck with your new reader
bla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
highlighting crash, prs-t1 crashing