Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #481
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSmarties View Post
Does anybody sell something like the Amazon Kindle Lighted Leather Cover for the Sony PRS-T1?

I really like the idea of a light that sucks juice from the reader itself, rather than having to worry about buying AAAs...

Ridiculously expensive though, I know.
Thankfully no. But if you don't want to have to keep buying AAA batteries, you can get the following eneloop charger and batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Eneloop-...op+aaa+battery

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #482
MCSmarties
Enthusiast
MCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thanks for the quick reply, JSWolf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thankfully no.
Why "thankfully" Other than price, what don't you like about it?

Also, I know about rechargeable batteries, I've been using them for years.

I just like the idea of a case with a built-in light that you never need to worry about - it just works, all you need to do is charge your reader and you're good to go.

(I have a PRS-T1 - my first ereader ever - on the way but haven't gotten it yet. Making the wait easier by looking for all the things I could do once I have it, and that includes getting a case! )
MCSmarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #483
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply, JSWolf!

Why "thankfully" Other than price, what don't you like about it?

Also, I know about rechargeable batteries, I've been using them for years.

I just like the idea of a case with a built-in light that you never need to worry about - it just works, all you need to do is charge your reader and you're good to go.

(I have a PRS-T1 - my first ereader ever - on the way but haven't gotten it yet. Making the wait easier by looking for all the things I could do once I have it, and that includes getting a case! )
I don't like it because having the light draw power from the reader battery means you'll get less life between charges and you'll need to charge your reader more often causing the life of the battery to drop before it's time. my reader's battery will last longer if I'm not drawing power from it to power a light.

As for the eneloop batteries, they are not the same as the rechargables you are used to. They charge about 1500 times and they are very slow to drain so you don't have to worry about not having power in them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #484
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I've been using the Duracell "Stay Charged" rechgargeables, which also last for miles longer than normal rechargeables, and can be recharged I think 1000 times.
And you can use a 1 hour charge.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #485
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
no lighted case drawing power from kobo reader.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:04 AM   #486
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
I was in Best Buy looking for something else and thought I'd mosey on over to the e-reader area and found one black lighted case for the T1 on clearance for $21.99 so I snapped it up . I'd rather have red but I can live with it. I've missed out on a couple red ones on eBay; I figure if I eventually get one on eBay I can sell this one here along with the brand new, never-out-of-the-box lighted cover for the 505 and a hardly used good-as-new Book Armor case, both of which I've been meaning to list for awhile!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:17 AM   #487
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I have 3 clamp on lights for my e-readers they are ok. LED light strapped to head will also work.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #488
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I've been using the Duracell "Stay Charged" rechgargeables, which also last for miles longer than normal rechargeables, and can be recharged I think 1000 times.
And you can use a 1 hour charge.
If they have a white top they are actually eneloops just rebadged, I love the eneloops myself but sometimes it's easier for me to find the rebadged ones that both duracell and energiser sometimes use.

One thing I would say is the one hour chargers aren't ideal for keeping the batteries for their full lifespans but I can certainly see the convenience and it's not like the batteries are madly expensive to replace.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #489
MCSmarties
Enthusiast
MCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud ofMCSmarties has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
I was in Best Buy looking for something else and thought I'd mosey on over to the e-reader area and found one black lighted case for the T1 on clearance for $21.99 so I snapped it up
Do you mean the standard lighted case from Sony or a third party-one? $22 for the former one is indeed sweet!

@JSWolf, carpetmojo: Looks like I'm still stuck with yesteryear's technology then! Thanks for the heads-up, I'll keep it in mind.
MCSmarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #490
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was in Best Buy looking for something else and thought I'd mosey on over to the e-reader area and found one black lighted case for the T1 on clearance for $21.99 so I snapped it up . I'd rather have red but I can live with it. I've missed out on a couple red ones on eBay; I figure if I eventually get one on eBay I can sell this one here along with the brand new, never-out-of-the-box lighted cover for the 505 and a hardly used good-as-new Book Armor case, both of which I've been meaning to list for awhile!
Quote:
Do you mean the standard lighted case from Sony or a third party-one? $22 for the former one is indeed sweet!

@JSWolf, carpetmojo: Looks like I'm still stuck with yesteryear's technology then! Thanks for the heads-up, I'll keep it in mind.
Yes, it's the standard Sony cover with light, indeed a sweet deal! I like it a lot; it's very comfortable to hold, the only drawbacks are that there's no place to store the stylus securely (I can hook it on the outside spine area which is fine at home but not if I take it when I leave the house) and the fact that there's no strap to hold it closed securely (once again, if I leave the house) if I want to put it in my purse something can get to the screen rather easily. I guess I'll have to look for a simple hairband or similar which, come to think of it, could also help to hold the stylus in place.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #491
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
Quote:
the fact that there's no strap to hold it closed securely (once again, if I leave the house) if I want to put it in my purse something can get to the screen rather easily.
MarciaCat, I carry my T1 in the lighted case in my handbag. I just make sure that the spine is up, and I'm careful when putting it away to ensure it stays shut. I haven't had any problems as long as I do that! I will say though, that I prefer handbags that have multiple pockets, rather than one 'main' pocket.
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #492
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
My case doesn't have a fastener/clasp either and I use a black hairband elastic from the Dollar Store to keep it closed when not in use. Just tight enough to be secure in case I drop my reader and prevents anything from touching the screen accidently while in my purse...and the style I chose looks pretty good too. 3/$1 with several different colour choices .
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #493
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
My case doesn't have a fastener/clasp either and I use a black hairband elastic from the Dollar Store to keep it closed when not in use. Just tight enough to be secure in case I drop my reader and prevents anything from touching the screen accidently while in my purse...and the style I chose looks pretty good too. 3/$1 with several different colour choices .
That is what I've done too & it works fine.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #494
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Re: the last few posts regarding the Sony cover. I too got one with the light when they were on sale. I am happy with it also, but like you've all mentioned, need to invest in a hair band to keep it closed, and keep the stylus also. I don't usually carry it around with me, but once in awhile I do, and want to keep it safe.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #495
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegster View Post
MarciaCat, I carry my T1 in the lighted case in my handbag. I just make sure that the spine is up, and I'm careful when putting it away to ensure it stays shut. I haven't had any problems as long as I do that! I will say though, that I prefer handbags that have multiple pockets, rather than one 'main' pocket.
I've tried carrying it that way, it's OK in a smaller or more structured handbag where there's minimal shifting but in the big soft fabric bag I'm using for summer there's always a pen, keys or something moving about like a shark at the bottom of my bag just looking for something to damage and my Reader looks just like a seal to 'em!