Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #46
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF&F Reader View Post
Yeah, not impressed with the new homescreen. It's cluttered and now takes one more click to access everything in 'settings'. The main carosel should be (and always should have been, IMO) the shortlist. Having two carosels is pointless. Using up my bandwidth to advertise books to me is worse than pointless.

If I encounter any bugs in this FW at all I will be reverting to 1.9.14
----------------------------------

If you wanted to...how does one revert back to 1.9.14? By having to do a factory reset?
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #47
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
You do know that one of the choices in that bar at the bottom is the shortlist, right?
The shortlist is what came up when we updated my husband's KT. I thankfully did not see any book recommendations at all. I have not bought very many kobo books, and his KT is still using my personal account, so he didn't get any of that.

I was a little worried at the "recommended" being a euphemism for "advertising", but thankfully have not seen that in his KT yet.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #48
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moolyn View Post
How do you establish a Shortist? I would prefer that to having previews grouped in with my library but didn't know another way to keep a wish list. My new desktop options just include Recommendations, Featured and New Releases.

I don't mind the storefront look so much on the Kobo Desktop, especially if I could use it to follow the prices and keep track of books on my wish list. However, from what I've read, I really don't think I'd like the new homepages on the Touch.

If I keep my device on Airplane Mode, will that prevent this new version from loading? Version .14 downloaded just recently when I turned the wireless on and I'm quite happy with it.
-----------------------------------------------------

You establish a Short List by pressing on the heart shaped icons to the left of the book(s) until they go dark and thereby highlight. It is those books that you darken the hearts, that become your short list. I use my short list to bring up all the purchased Kobo books I have on the reader. Keeping them grouped like that---makes for a fast change up.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #49
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF&F Reader View Post
Yeah, not impressed with the new homescreen. It's cluttered and now takes one more click to access everything in 'settings'. The main carosel should be (and always should have been, IMO) the shortlist. Having two carosels is pointless. Using up my bandwidth to advertise books to me is worse than pointless.

If I encounter any bugs in this FW at all I will be reverting to 1.9.14

How does one revert back? I haven't been able to find an online copy of the 1.9.14 firmware like you could before, and the "double press" menu bug I reported a few posts above is driving me nuts.

Thanks
The REAL Joe
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #50
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
Strange. I do not see this behaviour. At all. Key presses take maybe a second to register but that's about it.

François
Well, at least one other person reported exactly the same thing as what I see, so it can't be me alone!

Cheers
The REAL Joe
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #51
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
Well, at least one other person reported exactly the same thing as what I see, so it can't be me alone!

Cheers
The REAL Joe
------------------------------------

I don't see your issue either. But, my M.O. is to not tap but press-and hold until I see a reaction from the screen. Works every time....
Old 12-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #52
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
How does one revert back? I haven't been able to find an online copy of the 1.9.14 firmware like you could before, and the "double press" menu bug I reported a few posts above is driving me nuts.

Thanks
The REAL Joe
Here is a link to a zip file for 1.9.14 firmware release.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #53
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Hey Joe, once you revert try updating once more. I know the shortlist not sticking was a bug in the first version of 1.9.16, but they've fixed that so your double tap issue may go away too.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #54
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
Not happy that I can't get to my shortlist straight away from the main menu like I could in 1.9.14.

I really don't like that bar at the bottom either. I really want an option to remove it.
Actually you can get to it even faster: set your bottom carousel to "shortlist" (it should stay even when you go to other pages, turn off the Kobo, go into a book etc -- if it doesn't downgrade to 1.9.14 and reinstall the 1.9.16) and on the right hand side there is a button called "SHOW ALL" and it will instantly open your shortlist.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #55
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
Taming and Reader Paradice, thanks for explaining what the Shortlist is.

Previously, when I went to the home page on my device, a screen with five books purchased from Kobo appeared briefly then changed to a screen of five books I was actually reading or had opened. Now that I know what those hearts are for and have blackened the ones for books I am reading or plan to read soon, I have just one home screen.

I thought the Shortlist was on the new Desktop, as an alternative to the Recommended, Featured and New Releases on the right side of the screen. I think it would be very useful if Kobo included a option here so that people could assemble a Wish List as well.
moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #56
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
What's this "recommended" crap?! I didn't buy the "with offers" version of the kobo. If they start forcing advertisements on me I'll be the first to switch to kindle or sony.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #57
robko
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
What's this "recommended" crap?! I didn't buy the "with offers" version of the kobo. If they start forcing advertisements on me I'll be the first to switch to kindle or sony.
Shows up across the bottom of the homepage. You can change it to only ever show your shortlist instead so you don't have to ever see the recommendations.

EDIT: seems to still be a minor bug that means that rec's are showing up again after sync (i.e. shortlist isn't persistent). This behaviour wasn't there in Beta.

Last edited by robko; 12-24-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #58
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Shows up across the bottom of the homepage. You can change it to only ever show your shortlist instead so you don't have to ever see the recommendations.
Of course, odds are that it won't stop the device phoning home to tell them what you've got so that they can update their recommended lists for you, even if you don't see them (and if you use the desktop, you can't turn 'em off). Worse, it's sending info off to Google Analytics when it does. The only way to go is revert to 1.9.14 and never connect your Kobo to the desktop software or allow it out of airplane mode...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #59
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
I see a big difference between Kobo telling me about books they sell that I might actually be interested in and ads for toothpaste, tube socks, and blue jeans--but that's me. Ultimately, I decided (after really blowing off some steam that sounded very much like yours in the beta group) that if the recommendations morphed into something that seemed closely aligned with my actual interests and I had the option to display the shortlist and not see anything else, I could live with it.

It took me awhile, btw, and what sealed it for me was seeing the recommendations get better and the ability to have the shortlist persistent.

Last edited by taming; 12-23-2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: grammar
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #60
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
The recommendations are forced to appear on my Android phone and 5 of the books listed are already in my library. It's useless and I don't need them nosing around in my books to tell me what I might like. I have a feeling they're snooping at non-kobo books as well.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote