Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-13-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
geoelectric
geoelectric began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Getting Mobipocket authors to display correctly on Kindle

I just downloaded BAEN's Free Library (I owe them a fat donation) and spent a couple of hours with mobi2mobi stamping the files with proper title and author metadata.

Normally, when you download content from Amazon, the Kindle displays the author as First, Last but sorts as Last, First. With the mobipocket files I've stamped and added manually, it's sorting as displayed, so First, Last.

I guess I can restamp the files as Last, First, but I'd prefer to have them wholly integrated in the library. Anyone know if there's another EXTH category or something I can use to get them to display First, Last and sort Last, First?
geoelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
geoelectric

Never mind, may have answered my own question. Looks like the Kindle automatically turns around Last, First into First Last on display, so I need to restamp that way.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoelectric View Post
Never mind, may have answered my own question. Looks like the Kindle automatically turns around Last, First into First Last on display, so I need to restamp that way.
That was kind of a nice functionality. I do not think there is a EXTH data field for another sort order. I think that epub can contain a sort key in the meta data so when we have epub readers we might have this functionality.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Does the Kindle not maintain a cache of book files it has found on the device? Where does it store bookmarks and history and so on? On the SONY you can edit the metadata in the cache to have it show up however you want (that's what libprs500 does).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:20 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I don't know about the cache, but I do know that bookmarks are stored in a seperate file for each book.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Does the Kindle not maintain a cache of book files it has found on the device? Where does it store bookmarks and history and so on? On the SONY you can edit the metadata in the cache to have it show up however you want (that's what libprs500 does).
The Gen3 store bookmark in a special data file one per book. I do not think there is a reason to cache the meta data information since it is stored uncompressed and unencrypted in the first record of the file. It is as fast to read that data as to read a cache.

But maybe I just have missed a global cache file. I will look for it sometimes...
Old 01-16-2008, 03:00 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't know if the Kindle works the same way, but all other versions of the MobiPocket Reader create a file "bookname.mbp" (ie a separate file for each book). This file stores your current reading position in the book, user annotations, bookmarks, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does the mbp file also contain metadata? i.e. title and author?
Old 01-16-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
geoelectric

The Kindle creates mbp files, too. As far as anyone can tell, it really is a mobipocket reader, with Amazon mobipocket files having the funky AZW extension.

I didn't look in them for metadata, since I didn't have a handy mbp editor hanging out. There is no exposed way to edit the metadata "cache" though. Restamping the books with mobi2mobi --author "last, first" did what I wanted.

I have some batch files quick and dirtied now that will go through a tree of book files and stamp all the authors based on the directory names they're in. Once/if I get those cleaned up a little, I'll upload.

Last edited by geoelectric; 01-16-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Does the mbp file also contain metadata? i.e. title and author?
It seems to contain the title but not the author.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I find it hard to believe that the kindle doesn't maintain a list of books it has found somewhere on the drive, after all if it didn't, every time it was rebooted it would have to scan everything again, making reboot times unnecessarily long, but maybe it's on a part of the drive not exported via USB or it's in encrypted form somewhere.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that the kindle doesn't maintain a list of books it has found somewhere on the drive, after all if it didn't, every time it was rebooted it would have to scan everything again, making reboot times unnecessarily long, but maybe it's on a part of the drive not exported via USB or it's in encrypted form somewhere.
Can't you just scan the books you need for the display? A global cache has to be updated and you have to write code for detecting new files and when files are removed so if you can get good performance without it it is an advantage not to have a cache.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:59 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The linux kernel has filesystem notify support, so you would be notified everytime a file/directory is changed and you could rescan it and update the relevant portions of the cache. Seems to me like a much more efficient system than scan on demand.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:23 PM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The linux kernel has filesystem notify support, so you would be notified everytime a file/directory is changed and you could rescan it and update the relevant portions of the cache. Seems to me like a much more efficient system than scan on demand.
Do you know about applications that uses this notify support?

I still think that your solution leads to more complex code and more possibilties for strange bugs. If I designed a system I would avoid a cache if I could.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Most linux filemanagers