Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
PDF annotations (transferable to computer??)

I am thinking of the possibility of purchasing a digital reader. The one I am thinking about is the Sony PRS-700BC (the one with the touchscreen). To be honest, I like the way that digital reader looks. I don't like the style of the Kindle 2 even though it has the newspaper feature which I think is great.

In any case, if I were to get the digital reader, I would use it mostly to read academic PDF files. I know with the Sony PRS-700BC, I can make annotations. However, my question is when I transfer the file back to my laptop (MacBook Air) will the annotations follow the file? For that matter, is the Sony digital reader compatible with Macs?

Thanks,
Thi
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
Hey Thi, what's up?
Short answer is: not exactly
Long answer is here where I posted a similar question a while ago
Cheers
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 12:29 AM   #3
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

el.astrologo, thank you for the response. I read that thread. Very helpful.

This is what I wrote:

Quote:
That's really unfortunate because any teacher of reading and writing will tell you that we don't only read with our eyes but we also read by interacting with the text using "pen". Perhaps the technologists who develop eReaders need to rethink what reading practice is actually like. It's not just glossing the eye over text. It's actually interacting with it in a more physical way in addition to using the eye.
It seems to me that there is some serious, serious misunderstanding on what the activity of reading is. Yes, many of us when reading for pleasure do not interact with the text using a pen but a lot of us when reading for other things need to mark up the text.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
Hey thibaulthalpern, I know what you mean... Whenever I'm not reading for pleasure I fill the textbook with quotes and notes and highlight the important/interesting stuff.

However it seems that there just might be hope according to Server's research on the matter. If you can wait a week (that's when I get my PRS700) I'll do some trials myself and post an update on this
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Thanks, el.astrologo! I look forward to hearing your results!
Advert