Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-26-2017, 05:36 AM   #1
vdp
Enthusiast
vdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle DXG
Question Contrast/readability of the 13.3" Max Carta display

I, like many others on this forum, am excited about the Max Carta reader. I wonder about the quality of the display, though. I own a M96 Plus device, and while the hardware and the software are OK-ish(the SW is buggy and unpolished but still usable), the display itself doesn't feel nearly as comfortable as Kindle DXG for long reading. It's hard to pin down the exact reason, but I think it's mostly due to the yellowish hue of the white and the reduced contrast. It's also glossier, but I don't think this matters so much. When compared side-by-side with a Kindle DXG the difference in contrast and the readability is very obvious. Don't know if this degradation is a necessary price to be paid for supporting stylus input, but if that's the case the trade-off doesn't work for me.

So in short my question, to people who have multiple devices handy, is how the 13.3 inch Max Carta reader compares with other devices in terms of contrast and overall readability? If someone can compare this device's display with a Kindle DXG and/or Onyx M96 that would be great.

Last edited by vdp; 05-26-2017 at 05:39 AM.
vdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:31 AM   #2
androidlad
androidlad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.androidlad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.androidlad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.androidlad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.androidlad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.androidlad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.androidlad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.androidlad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.androidlad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.androidlad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.androidlad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paper White
Contrast is the about same as Kindle Voyage, pleasant creamy white and inky black. Definitely better than DXG which uses previous generation panel.

Combined with Regal refresh it's quite a joy to use.
androidlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Just bought a Max Carta, what is Regal refresh?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #4
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Regal waveform technology dramatically reduce the need for full page refreshes after a few page turns. Less ghosting, one can flick turn more than 100 pages before the display needs a full refresh.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is that something I can install on it, or does it require different hardware?
Advert
Old 06-13-2017, 07:41 PM   #6
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Is that something I can install on it, or does it require different hardware?
It is E Ink's firmware feature for associated E Ink panels.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:41 AM   #7
vdp
Enthusiast
vdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
I noticed that you own several readers from different makers... How do you feel about the Max Carta's screen compared to these other screens?
What @androidlad said sounds promising..
vdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Well, first it is huge, so large text books that have been scanned to PDF looks fine and the annotation possibilities are promising. Refresh can occur when you might not expect it and that can cause some trouble if you are in the process of selecting text or other task.
My train for buying it is outdoor usage, those using it indoors might find the bright background a tad greyish, but I'm fine with it.
If that is a concern is recommend a comparison with the new Sony.
Small size books also look better because of zoom, it maintains that ratio when changing pages. Don't know if something like that is didn't on scanning method though. The books I have though are very easy to read.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:57 AM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
It is E Ink's firmware feature for associated E Ink panels.
Thank you, I think I discovered it going through all the setting screens. The manual is unfortunately more confusing than enlightening.