Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-21-2017, 09:20 PM   #1
Elim
Elim began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best eReader for Light Sensitivity

Due to an eye injury I suffered many years ago, I have fairly extreme photophobia. My eyes are just really sensitive to artificial light and strain easily. I was wondering what the best eReaders on the market were that don't have lit screens (or the ability to turn the screen light off).

Any help is very appreciated!

Thank you,
Elim
Elim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:40 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
All of the Kobo devices with lights can have the light turned off completely. I think the Kindles are always on, but the lowest level is very dim.

The Kobo Aura ONE and upcoming Aura H2O Edition 2 have the ability to change to colour of the light. It is mainly intended to remove blue during the evening. I have no idea whether this would help you or hurt, but if you have a chance to experiment with one, you should.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2017, 11:18 AM   #3
Elim

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
All of the Kobo devices with lights can have the light turned off completely. I think the Kindles are always on, but the lowest level is very dim.

The Kobo Aura ONE and upcoming Aura H2O Edition 2 have the ability to change to colour of the light. It is mainly intended to remove blue during the evening. I have no idea whether this would help you or hurt, but if you have a chance to experiment with one, you should.
Oh! Interesting. I'll defiantly put them on the wish list.

Do you know if there's a difference between Kobo's newer line of Comfortlight Pro vs Comfortlight? I'm just making sure they all have the ability to turn the screen light off.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Or the kindle makes an unlit screen.
It is their Basic Kindle and I think it retails for $80 with special offers/$100 without.
I have the older model and it works just fine for me.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elim View Post
Oh! Interesting. I'll defiantly put them on the wish list.

Do you know if there's a difference between Kobo's newer line of Comfortlight Pro vs Comfortlight? I'm just making sure they all have the ability to turn the screen light off.
Comfortlight Pro has the ability to change the colour to a more red colour and cut down on the blue light. Both can be turned off completely.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing Kobo has that might really help is the ability to adjust the weight of fonts. So if you find that because you aren't using a front light and that you need more weight, you can add weight to the font. There is a patch where you can use the Advanced Font Control (used to change the font weight) of truetype fonts for side loaded fonts. And being able to side load fonts of your choice is another feature Kindles lack.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing Kobo has that might really help is the ability to adjust the weight of fonts. So if you find that because you aren't using a front light and that you need more weight, you can add weight to the font. There is a patch where you can use the Advanced Font Control (used to change the font weight) of truetype fonts for side loaded fonts. And being able to side load fonts of your choice is another feature Kindles lack.
I forgot about that little detail. It is sounding like a Kobo would be better for him.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I forgot about that little detail. It is sounding like a Kobo would be better for him.
And one other thing I forgot to mention is that the larger screen (of the H2O or One) might help if the OP needs/wants a larger font on screen.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
And one other thing I forgot to mention is that the larger screen (of the H2O or One) might help if the OP needs/wants a larger font on screen.
You own the 6.8 inch if I remember right. Does that extra .8 inches make that much of a difference and I am assuming that is measured diagonally?
Old 05-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
You own the 6.8 inch if I remember right. Does that extra .8 inches make that much of a difference and I am assuming that is measured diagonally?
The 6.8" reader has a screen roughly 30% bigger than 6" reader screens.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, the extra .8" does make a noticeable difference. It is measured diagonally. The extra space means I can have larger text before it looks crowded.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:15 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
You are probably 100% correct on this being ideal for the OP.
You are also making me want one.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You are probably 100% correct on this being ideal for the OP.
You are also making me want one.
I really like the screen of the H2O. Also, I like the typesetting. I get kerning, ligatures, & hyphenation. I don't use kepub. I use ePub because I prefer the way ePub text is rendered.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #14
Elim

Wow! You've all gone out of your way to help me out, and I really want to thank you. I've copied down all the suggestions.

I'm currently debating which model I can actually afford, as my budget is under $100 and Kobo tend to be expensive. Their readers look brilliant, just a little too pricy. Fingers crossed a good deal pops up soon.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:09 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The problem is that a Reader that's going to be suitable is going to cost. Your budget isn't going to get you anything that's going to do. So (IMHO) you will need to up your budget. Given that you have an eye injury, you would be best to save up for a Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2. The larger screen and other features that are useful will help you be able to better read.