Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 08-30-2015, 04:34 AM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Has it completely escaped your notice that the OP explicitly stated the laptop in question uses drivers which are marked on the manufacturer website as incompatible with Windows 10?
Or is it simply fun to perform random infodumps in irrelevant threads? We have a thread where you can discuss Windows 10 while being ontopic, you know: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=254824

And I am not going to waste my time discussing the OP's IMHO wise caution with you any more.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:38 AM   #17
downloaderfan
downloaderfan began at the beginning.

Device: Android based
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
laptops/tablets, maybe yes - desktops with mainstream AMD / Nvidia cards are fine, so is the ubiquitous reaktek audio. All of those companies released W10 drivers

but it's easy enough to look in device manager then google your specific audio/video device(s)+ win 10 to check for possible issues.

OP is already at win 8 so will not have any ancient legacy AV stuff ?

the only thing that still bugs me with win 10 is the slow boot up times. when I had the w10 preview on clean install test rig it was booting in ~10 secs. with my upgrades from win 7 / 8 it is as slow as win 7 was, or even slower.
A clean install + having to redo all software would be way too much hassle for me.
Yeah, I don't have legacy softwares, but the thing is, about 70% of the softwares I own haven't been updated for windows 10, so, they might load up fine at first on windows 10, but they might randomly crash in between when I'm working just because they haven't specifically been updated for windows 10. Nothing is certain.

As far as drivers go, I don't think anything can be done if I found that a specific driver doesn't work on windows 10. As I said, lenovo hasn't updated any of the drivers for windows 10. In fact, even on my windows 8, Elan pointing device (The driver for touchpad) was corrupt due to which my touchpad would stop responding randomly. I tried reinstalling the driver, searched the internet, all which pointed me to the same corrupt driver on the lenovo website, which did not fix the issue. Ultimately, I had to buy an external mouse and had to stop using the touchpad altogether.

It's reasons like these why I'm holding back from updating to windows 10 because it will be too much of a hastle.
downloaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2015, 05:07 AM   #18
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Has it completely escaped your notice that the OP explicitly stated the laptop in question uses drivers which are marked on the manufacturer website as incompatible with Windows 10?
And I am not going to waste my time discussing the OP's IMHO wise caution with you any more.
no it hasn't - I was replying to YOUR post and adding a sense of proportion to your claim of driver issues .. ones the internet is loudly buzzing about, all over the place [/I] - which as a non-windows user you are doubtless an expert on.
[ FYI in many, many cases MS have provided their own compatible drivers, which are as good as or better than the manufacturer's originals, so there is no need to wait on the manufacturer getting around to it - if you followed the W10 forums you'd know that ]

A month ago there were over 14m users of W10 already, so it's probably safe to say that the driver issues affect 0.000001% or thereabouts

http://fortune.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-users/

MOving on, I don't recall asking for your opinion anyway. If I needed advice on windows 10 you are so not on the list of folks I'd consult, and this is not the forum I would use.

As for on-topic, IMHO it is somewhat self defeating to be seeking good new software recommendations if locked into an OS (8.0 )that is now 2 generations back. I respect that is the OP's choice, but I would urge re-consideration of the upgrade risks sometime within the next year, if only so as not to waste a free $100 value upgrade key.
You can always roll back again once that is activated - MS register your hardware config so you can then clean install at any future date - the key is good for the lifetime of the machine.

PS this is appreciated: I am not going to waste my time discussing the OP's IMHO wise caution with you any more

Last edited by cybmole; 08-30-2015 at 05:16 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:04 PM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
no it hasn't - I was replying to YOUR post and adding a sense of proportion to your claim of driver issues .. ones the internet is loudly buzzing about, all over the place [/I] - which as a non-windows user you are doubtless an expert on.
Pardon me, I was under the delusion that your reply to me was relevant to the thread. My post was meant to be taken in the context of the OP's case.

Quote:
A month ago there were over 14m users of W10 already, so it's probably safe to say that the driver issues affect 0.000001% or thereabouts

http://fortune.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-users/
Logical flaw #1: The existence of people having upgraded is orthogonal to the issue of whether those people then found themselves with driver issues.
Logical flaw #2: The proportion of people with those issues should not be taken as a justification to dismiss those peoples' concerns.

Quote:
MOving on, I don't recall asking for your opinion anyway. If I needed advice on windows 10 you are so not on the list of folks I'd consult, and this is not the forum I would use.
The why do you feel the compulsion to give other people Windows 10 advice in this forum that you say is not the right forum?

Quote:
PS this is appreciated: I am not going to waste my time discussing the OP's IMHO wise caution with you any more
I decided to respond anyway, at least to your huffiness about how you were really replying to me, and your justifications thereof.
Please feel free to end the discussion here, if as you say it is the wrong forum for it. Maybe get a moderator to move the relevant posts to wherever you think it is relevant, then we can continue to argue in an ontopic environment.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-30-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:39 AM   #20
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
And how is any of that relevant to the thread topic ?
Fyi, if you re-read from the start. the OP is given one and only one good software suggestion - Freda. The developer of Freda posts to say it will meet all requirements IF the OP is willing to upgrade to10... thus the pros and cons of that became relevant. Casting FUD at the general principle of taking the free upgrade was your response....
I am done here. I leave you to exercise your compulsion to have the last word. Luckily, I don't have the same compulsion, or this would become tedious....
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2015, 08:24 AM   #21
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by downloaderfan View Post
Alright, I first thought this would be easy, but apparently I'm not able to find what I want, thus I'm posting it here now.

I recently got an engineering book in EPUB format, and all I wanted was a software which supported the following:

Vertical scrolling instead of paginated
Ability to make annotations

Just these 2, But I'm not able to find any windows software with the above 2 features.

Calibre, FBReader both don't support highlighting
Digital editions, mobipocket don't support vertical scrolling
Coolreader just kept crashing when I tried to open the epub file

If anyone knows a software with contains the above 2 features, plz mention.
I found a program lucidor from another thread.

http://lucidor.org/lucidor/

I have installed it on my Surface 3, and it looks very interesting. It has annotations and vertical scrolling.

It requires that Firefox is installed on the machine.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:33 PM   #22
downloaderfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
I found a program lucidor from another thread.

http://lucidor.org/lucidor/

I have installed it on my Surface 3, and it looks very interesting. It has annotations and vertical scrolling.

It requires that Firefox is installed on the machine.
Ok I did actually come across lucidor like 3-4 days after I started this thread. Since I did so much searching, google now took pity on me and threw a flashcard on my google app which linked me to a website which contained lucidor. And granted I did not mention this feature in my first post because I thought even the most basic epub reader must contain such a feature but I can't seem to find a way to increase text size in lucidor. I can only see an option to adjust margin size. The default text size in lucidor is just too small for me.

And that's the reason I did not mention it here.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #23
downloaderfan

After giving lucidor a second try, I just remembered that all browsers have in-built zoom functionality

Anyway, I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to reply to this thread, tried to help me out and... I think I can put up with lucidor until I upgrade to windows 10 or calibre gets annotations support
Old 09-03-2015, 03:34 PM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

for reporting that you found a solution.

Hopefully calibre will get those annotations soon. At least before next year -- by which time I imagine most Win10 driver issues will have settled down, including yours.