Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
eastbayarb
eastbayarb began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Any way to separate books/documents into catagories or folders?

Just got my Kindle and it's a very nice device. I got it for school, work, and book reading (wikipedia is a nice feature as is the dictionary). I want to have a separate folder or catagory for school, work and books. Is this possible? When I put content into the documents folder, all of them are all on one list and I would like to somehow separate them.

thanks!
eastbayarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The only option at present is to use a SD card. Then you can separately show content in Kindle memory, on the SD card, or both.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #3
swwarrio
swwarrio began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
"The only option at present is to use a SD card. Then you can separately show content in Kindle memory, on the SD card, or both."

Please tell me how to do this. As far as I can tell, the only time I have this option is in the Content Manager. This does not appear as an option when selecting titles from the Home page.
swwarrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swwarrio View Post
"The only option at present is to use a SD card. Then you can separately show content in Kindle memory, on the SD card, or both."

Please tell me how to do this. As far as I can tell, the only time I have this option is in the Content Manager. This does not appear as an option when selecting titles from the Home page.
You are correct; that option is only available in Content Manager. Categories or folders is pretty much the #1 wish list item for Kindle owners.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
turtlemom
Hatch
turtlemom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I began to obsess on this from the moment I had more than one page of Kindle home content. Alphabetizing isn't much help, nor is separating journals/blogs etc from books by making them invisible in the contents shown. I can think of at least 6 folders I want for content listing. Within each folder I'd like the option of how to organize, by date/time added, alphabetizing, read/unread, source ... maybe even combinations. I'm sure everyone has thought of their needs.

It's so basic! Surely Amazon will respond at some point, I hope with a software upgrade or some kind of computer function that could be emailed to the kindle or transfered by usb. I'm not going to buy a new reader after only having the present one for less than two months.

Does anyone think that emailing Amazon will help spur them to add this basic but important feature?
turtlemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Although there is no way to use folders for organizing the books on the Kindle, I keep my books organized on my hard drive(s) using folders named for the source of the file. As I download a file, I update a spreadsheet with the name of the file, author/title (which isn't always provided in the file name), genre, source, and optional description. For books which are part of a series, I create a text file listing the books and reading order.

For example, I downloaded all 7 of the Tom Corbett, Space Cadet books from Feedbooks. I created a text file with info on the series taken from Wikipedia and the names/dates of all the books to remind myself of the reading order (TomCorbett.txt). I transferred the books and the text file to the Kindle. As I finish a book, I add an annotation to the text file. I also put a highlight around the title of the book I'm currently reading. (That's because I read books #1 & #2 in April, started #3, then wandered off to read other stuff. I will return later, but the highlight in the text file works like a bookmark to help me "keep my place".)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemom View Post
Does anyone think that emailing Amazon will help spur them to add this basic but important feature?
It won't hurt.

I believe that they know that Kindle users want a more functional way of organizing the content that is on the device. But it never hurts for new owners to contact them. It emphasizes that this is a near-universal desire and not just something that is only wanted by early adopters.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:38 AM   #7
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
This too has become my second major complaint about the Kindle (after those danged big buttons on the sides). Seems like it should be really easy to solve since Kindle uses folders. Why not at least let us use nested folders in the documents folders - a great mystery to me!

I'll definitely follow up and put in my request to Kindle (although from looking at the posts on the Amazon Kindle site it seems like a black hole)

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote