Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
AuthorGreg
Connoisseur
AuthorGreg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 2nd Gen, Kindle 7" Fire HD
Problem is, though, other books display without the line breaks. I just don't know what to do about this. Talking to anyone at Barnes & Noble or Nook Press about such matters is, well, hell, you all already know what it's like....

I'd thought that learning how to craft an eBook to exact specs would finally yield me a decent Nook title. I was better off using Word/Calibre with them....

G
AuthorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorGreg View Post
Problem is, though, other books display without the line breaks. I just don't know what to do about this. Talking to anyone at Barnes & Noble or Nook Press about such matters is, well, hell, you all already know what it's like....

I'd thought that learning how to craft an eBook to exact specs would finally yield me a decent Nook title. I was better off using Word/Calibre with them....

G
Question, how does the sample display on the nooks in the store? We know it displays well outside the store.

Also, find someone who bought your book and ask how it looks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #18
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
The Nook (Simple anyway) by default overrides a book's stylesheet with a standard one. (As you may already know?)
I haven't got my Nook here, there is a setting somewhere for enabling the in-file stylesheet. Is this the culprit, perchance?
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But one thing the nook setting do not do is create paragraph spaces where none exist.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #20
AuthorGreg
Connoisseur

I'm headed over there now to try some things out. I hope they don't arrest me for loitering...
Advert
Old 11-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #21
AuthorGreg
Connoisseur

Well, I didn't have to go the store. I downloaded another sample (my book is Return To Middle C, by Gregory Shultz). When the publisher default is selected, everything is fine. Uncheck that box, and anything can happen, including my top margins being completely ignored. I'm going back to check my CSS and make sure I didn't fudge anything up.

Lord....

Thanks to everyone for the help. You're a great bunch!

G
Old 11-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #22
AuthorGreg
Connoisseur

Well, I'm tearing my hair out here.

It looks like the only time any Nook reads my CSS file is when it is either A) set to Publisher Defaults or B) being rendered by the Nook Press online Nook Previewer.

I've torn my CSS file apart, looking for anything that might be the culprit. Adobe Digital Editions renders is beautifully.

I'm about at the point I'm willing to pay someone a reasonable price to check this out, because I clearly don't know what I'm doing. Someone suggested I convert the MOBI to ePub with Calibre, but that really sounds backwards to me. I don't know....

What can I do?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 11-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Instead of paying someone, why not buy a copy of the book to see what it looks like straight from B&N?
Old 11-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #24
AuthorGreg
Connoisseur

I've downloaded the sample and the ePub from the Nook Press console. Would the for-sale version be any different?
Old 11-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #25
AuthorGreg
Connoisseur

Update:

I've figured some of it out.

Having deduced that different flavors of whatever version of ADE (or whatever the case may be) is installed collapses margins when they're declared via "margin bottom", I've gone back into my CSS and have removed ALL bottom margin declarations. It'll take a while for Nook Press to propagate the changes, so I can't report back until Sunday morning or later.

I'm hoping it was just my sloppy CSS. We'll see....

Edit: Still don't know about the line breaks between paragraphs, though. Gotta figure a way out to keep them together through all sorts of weather, as it were....

G

Last edited by AuthorGreg; 11-01-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

A bottom margin of 0 is what will do to keep away the paragraph spaces. That works in ADE v1.7.2 which is an older version of ADE then the nook uses.

There's no reason to remove bottom margins. They do work. They've worked since the first version of ADE. They work in the current version of ADE as well.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #27
AuthorGreg
Connoisseur

Well, in the most recent sample I downloaded of my book from B&N (and I have a Simple Touch with latest firmware), all the bottom margins were collapsed. I mean every single one of them. It was a bloody mess.

I'm beginning to believe no two Nooks are alike.

On the side-loaded ePub, the one that had bottom margins, the bottom margins WERE honored. Yet after Nook Press gets done mangling the very same ePub, the margins collapsed. I cannot figure this one out AT ALL.

Kindles appears to be much more forgiving devices. I have a few, and my stylesheets still have the bottom margins specified -- no problem!

I really don't know what's going on here....

G
Old 11-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

That's Nook Press mangling things, not ADE.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #29
AuthorGreg
Connoisseur

So how does one negotiate the Nook Press mangling? How does one create an ePub that can take the "beating?"
Old 11-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #30
AuthorGreg
Connoisseur

My last message didn't make it up. Oh well.

Anyway, this is from the Nook Press formatting guide:

VIII. CSS/Fonts

When defining styles in the CSS, margins should be set as “pixels”, not “ems”, or “% of ems”. This will optimize the viewing area regardless of selected font or type size.

So I'm going to follow that route.

G