Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
Had Touch stolen bought PW2, way to mass download book from cloud?

As far as I can tell I'll have to individually download books from the cloud to get them on the new device, or is there an option I'm missing to mass download them all?

Amazon's cloud interface seems pretty limited, next time I'll back up device on hard drive as well.
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
You have to download them individually, either through the device or the MYK page on Amazon.

Backing up Amazon books on a hard drive wouldn't help (except for samples) because the DRM on the file is connected to a particular device. So your Touch files wouldn't work on the PW2. You should, however, regularly backup all non-Amazon files.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's precisely why many of us remove the DRM as soon as we buy a book, so we can back it up in a program such as Calibre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Just open the archive view on PW and click all the books, you can queue them up and leave it to download. Really your only option.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
You have to download them individually, either through the device or the MYK page on Amazon.

Backing up Amazon books on a hard drive wouldn't help (except for samples) because the DRM on the file is connected to a particular device. So your Touch files wouldn't work on the PW2. You should, however, regularly backup all non-Amazon files.
I should have added, all the thousands of files I had were "personal" documents and notes that I had typed up. For some reason overlooked going to the archive on the device itself which seem a little more user friendly. Thanks
Advert
Old 11-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If they are personal documents, you might find it a little easier to sideload them. Unless you have synced notes/highlights.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
bounce
Zealot

Thing is many of the files that were on the lost Touch were PDF's that I used the kindle free e-mail with "convert" in the subject line to convert to Kindle format. I know I can use Calibre again on these files, but I found the Kindle e-mail conversion to be better.

It's been a while since I've used Calibre, I'll see if it's converting them better now.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Don't forget that downloading a ton of files at one time is a bad idea. Do 20 at a time, or so. Otherwise, it will choke up while indexing all those files.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
bounce
Zealot

Ah yes, I dealt with that on my Touch. I'm surprised that hasn't been addressed better on the Paper white.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Download them using Kindle for PC.
Set up Calibre using Apprentice Alf's Unnamed Tools so DRM will be removed.
Import all books into Calibre from the My Kindle Content folder.
Side-load.
Profit.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

calibre conversion is always improving, I assume.

You could try the official kindlegen, which is what Amazon uses anyway. Might need to use KindleStrip if you do, though, since it can cut the size of a kindlegenned book in 3 by stripping out all but the KF8.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
If the books are in Kindle cloud, they're already in a Kindle-supported format, I assume. No conversion necessary.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

It might take longer to download them all.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Three times now with three Kindles I have taken the following steps:
1.Open your old Kindle on Calibre.
2.tag your sideloaded books or any legitimately purchased books from which DRM has been removed for personal reasonsh which you have on the old kindle.
3.plug your new kindle to Calibre and copy over the books that you tagged.
4.copy to new kindle.
5.download from Amazon any purchases that you do not keep of-line.
6.On new kindle import collections using your new kindle from your old kindle.
7.For me 90% of the side loaded books and downloaded books are automatically put into the correct collection. Rest you do by hand.
Good luck.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote