Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
Patuba
Patuba began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Converting Mobi or HTML file to Epub

I have successfully made a mobi book for the Kindle. It is one big HTML file that works fine on the Kindle. I have tried converting to to Epub with Calibre and Sigil so I can sell it for the Nook. I am having a lot of formatting issues doing this.

The issue is mainly with images. They do not stay in the page and flow over to the next page or they mirror themselves on several following pages. Does anyone have an idea on what is going on?

Also, when I'm reading the book in Nook for PC it will not allow me to turn back pages in several spots. For example when I am on page 33 I can turn page to any page 1 - 32. However when I am on page 34 it won't let me turn page to pages 1 - 33 and it just chimes like I'm at the beginning/end of the book. Does anyone have any ideas?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have spent most of the weekend working on this with nothing to show for it.
Patuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The formatting in mobi is different than in ePub. However, I think that Sigil should be the best choice. Just load the HTML and finetune there. However, please keep in mind, that when the image does not fit in the screen, it will be placed on the next page. Mirroring is something else. That should not happen.
Is there a chapter change at those pages where you can't turn back? It should work though.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
Patuba

Thanks for the reply!!!!

I have been working in Sigil and am trying to figure it out. It did a good job of converting the old HTML tags I used to XHTML. The mirroring issues is still happening, I haven't figured that out.

The image going onto 2 pages is only with larger images. I am trying to figure out how to get the Nook to render images properly. The Kindle will automatically scale the image down to fit the screen, it doesn't seem like the Nook will do that. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, it usually happens around the end of sections where I can't turn the page back but oddly, not at the very end of the section, sometimes it's 1 or 2 pages away from the end.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:57 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Could be that something in your stylesheet is confusing the Nook. You have to scale the images either manually or put it in a svg-wrapper. I can't really tell you much about the wrapper, that is usually copy-paste for me. However, the wrapper can rescale.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
Patuba

I've got the image size and mirroring issues resolved. I'm still having an issue where I can't turn back pages in certain areas of the book. Anyone have ideas on that one?
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I think the first thing to do would be to test your ePub in different readers. Try it in the reader that comes with calibre, and try it in Adobe Desktop Editions on your PC. This will show whether there's an issue with the way the ePub works with the Nook software or something more serious.

Have you broken the ePub into separate xhtml files at the Chapter breaks? That's always a good idea.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
Patuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Have you broken the ePub into separate xhtml files at the Chapter breaks? That's always a good idea.
No, I haven't and that was the problem. I was using page breaks to control the flow of text. It didn't like that. Thanks for the help, now I just have to separate all the text into different files.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
If your chapters start with something like
<h1 class="chapterhead">...

Do a Find/Replace with Find:
<h1 class="chapterhead
Replace:
<hr class="sigilChapterBreak" /><h1 class="chapterhead

Then click on Tools->Split on SGF Chapter Markers.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote