Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-23-2017, 12:25 AM   #1246
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
Thank you so much for those information sir!

B.Baalaji

Last edited by baalajimaestro; 05-25-2017 at 12:36 AM.
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:06 AM   #1247
LordDunlow
LordDunlow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The K2, DX, DXG are all still showing fw2.5.8
The K3 still shows 3.4.2 (I think they already fixed that one. )

The K1 seems to have gotten an emergency update from 1.2 to 1.2.1 and I unpacked it with kindletool -- it updates /opt/usr/java/lib/security/cacerts
That is all.
I just pulled my Kindle 2 out to use and discovered it wouldn't connect because of this update. I'm running 2.5.8 jailbroken. Any chance I can just add this file somehow or do I have to uninstall everything, then do the official update?

Thanks!
LordDunlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2017, 08:34 AM   #1248
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDunlow View Post
I just pulled my Kindle 2 out to use and discovered it wouldn't connect because of this update. I'm running 2.5.8 jailbroken. Any chance I can just add this file somehow or do I have to uninstall everything, then do the official update?

Thanks!
Uninstall everything and then install the 2.5.8 that Amazon now has posted for your K2.
It includes changes to support TLS in addition to the changes reported above for the K1 (more than just the certificates file).
Amazon did not update the version number when they rolled last year's update into the 2.5.8 firmware package.
So don't be fooled by the fact that the one they have posted and the one you are running are the same version number, they are different contents.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:52 PM   #1249
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Sorry to bring this thread up being so late...
But thanks to everyone who made that possible! I received a bargain PW2 today and it was absolutely effortless to jailbreak the device. I studied a bit about the code and it's very interesting.

Also, a remark; thinking I screwed up my KUAL install because it wasn't showing up (in fact I only had to put it in the Documents folder!), I factory-reset the device a few times after the jailbreak and tried to re-run it. Interestingly enough, it said that it failed but I found out how to install KUAL properly and it worked fine. Also installed kterm and KOReader, both work fine, no problems.
Did I mis-read something, but don't Kindles undo the jailbreak when a "factory" reset is done? Because mine appparently did not...

EDIT: after investigating, it turns out that the Kindle would be one of the first-gen PW3s if I look up the serial number... It seems that it has been marketed as the PW2 with a 300 ppi screen version. Is it still a PW2?

Last edited by NiMa; 02-12-2021 at 09:26 AM.
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:50 PM   #1250
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Depends on the sequence of events. A single factory reset can be recovered (with a couple of reboots, topped by a hotfix refresh just to be safe). A factory reset back to back to an official update will kill it.

Also, check the S/N to stop guessing the exact model. There never was a 300dpi PW2 .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2021, 05:07 PM   #1251
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Depends on the sequence of events. A single factory reset can be recovered (with a couple of reboots, topped by a hotfix refresh just to be safe). A factory reset back to back to an official update will kill it.

Also, check the S/N to stop guessing the exact model. There never was a 300dpi PW2 .
OK, so this confirms my suspicions, thanks! I read a couple of news articles about that and they all said that Amazon was selling the PW2 with 300 dpi. So they probably mixed up models...
EDIT: but the model number on the device is DP75SDI ... are you sure there never was such a version?

And for the jailbreak, I must have done 3 factory resets after that and it was still jailbroken (and it is still now). Also, I rebooted two or three times after each factory reset to see if nothing was missing or was broken. But KUAL, kterm, USBNetwork and KOReader installed just fine and I have root access to the Kindle. So maybe it is specific to the jailbreak involved?
Also, what does a "reset" does? Does it just remove the files in /var/local + /mnt/us and it ends there?
EDIT: is there a way to prevent the Kindle from updating away from 5.6.5 other than airplane mode? I don't need the lab126 services to be running, I'd just want to get an Alpine chroot running on this thing...
anyways thanks for the reply, and I hope that soon I'll have a better understanding of how the device works now that I've got one, as I do with the Kobos

Last edited by NiMa; 02-12-2021 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:19 PM   #1252
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMa View Post
EDIT: but the model number on the device is DP75SDI ... are you sure there never was such a version?
Model numbers are much murkier than the device code encoded in the S/N, but, as I happen to have a PW2, I can definitely assure you that that's a PW2 .

Quote:
Also, I rebooted two or three times after each factory reset to see if nothing was missing or was broken.
And that's precisely how you make sure a factory reset doesn't permanently hobble the JB, so, no mystery there.

Quote:
Does it just remove the files in /var/local + /mnt/us and it ends there?
Yep, much like the "new" factory reset on Kobo.

Quote:
EDIT: is there a way to prevent the Kindle from updating away from 5.6.5 other than airplane mode?
There's an OTA block button in the KUAL helper extension, it's mentioned in the instructions.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:35 PM   #1253
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
Model numbers are much murkier than the device code encoded in the S/N, but, as I happen to have a PW2, I can definitely assure you that that's a PW2 .

And that's precisely how you make sure a factory reset doesn't permanently hobble the JB, so, no mystery there.

Yep, much like the "new" factory reset on Kobo.

There's an OTA block button in the KUAL helper extension, it's mentioned in the instructions.
thanks for the KUAL extension, I didn't see that while searching through the forums. I'll go check that out ASAP.
edit: I've looked at the script that does that and it does the usual update.bin.tmp.partial trick. I read that it didn't work with some firmwares. Will it work with 5.6.5?

But I've checked the RAM with free -m and it seems to have 512mb inside...
The display is astoundingly beautiful, maybe better than some of my Kobos (although my Glo HD's defunct screen would have been pretty similar) and it is indeed 300ppi, as it states in the welcome screen with the "Get started" button and as I can state with my own eyes.
I might get some serial equipment to see if I can (try) to have some fun downgrading the firmware or upgrading it the way I want.

thanks again!

Last edited by NiMa; 02-12-2021 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:09 PM   #1254
melksnor
Goodest E-Reader
melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 500 / Kindle 5th / Kindle PW4
Quote:
here's a link to the news article I found: https://goodereader.com/
There's your problem. That site is known for making up stuff. You can't trust anything on there.
melksnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:28 PM   #1255
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by melksnor View Post
There's your problem. That site is known for making up stuff. You can't trust anything on there.
yeah maybe... but some are true.
removed it from my post.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:48 PM   #1256
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
But I've checked the RAM with free -m and it seems to have 512mb inside...
That would confirm my "model numbers are meaningless" comment above. Check the S/N.

The PW2 only had 256MB of RAM (and a 758x1024 212dpi screen), and its screen should *technically* have been on par with a Kobo Mk. 6 (e.g., typically, a Glo HD). In practice, it'd have been better than the Kobo, because Amazon was very much trouncing everybody at driving those screens. Kobo managed to catch up w/ the Mk. 7 series, though.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-12-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:03 PM   #1257
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
That would confirm my "model numbers are meaningless" comment above. Check the S/N.

The PW2 only had 256MB of RAM (and a 758x1024 212dpi screen), and its screen should *technically* have been on par with a Kobo Mk. 6 (e.g., typically, a Glo HD). In practice, it'd have been better than the Kobo, because Amazon was very much trouncing everybody at driving those screens. Kobo managed to catch up w/ the Mk. 7 series, though.
ok, it is definitely a PW3 then.
thanks!
Old 02-12-2021, 10:23 PM   #1258
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Check the S/N.
I mean, I don't know how many times I'm going to have to repeat that?
It's the very first thing the sticky asks you to do, there's a reason for that.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:56 PM   #1259
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
I mean, I don't know how many times I'm going to have to repeat that?
It's the very first thing the sticky asks you to do, there's a reason for that.
Yes, I checked it beforehand but I was not sure about the model number. It clearly showed that it was a PW3 but I didn't know what to think...

Tags
jailbreak, jailbreaking