Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by davepharos View Post
so, actually, if the number of items affects it, I should try the first steps of not using subfolders with the same number of books. I was just testing with one
It may be that there is a particular file in that set of files the Kindle doesn't like. Try doing a mobi to mobi conversion inc alibre before sending them.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #17
davepharos
davepharos began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
20 items

I unchecked subfolders, sent the .mobis, and they did not show up. One book showed up under docs
davepharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:14 AM   #18
davepharos

20 files, converted to azw3, put in sub directories, they did show up
Old 10-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do a mobi-mobi conversion and then send the 20 mobis. They might show up in that case.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:49 AM   #20
davepharos

Ok, it's late, perhaps I'm crazy, perhaps just tired and confused, but now no matter what I do they show up. Currently have them all loaded as mobi's in author sub directories, and everything is showing up.

/sigh

Guess we shall have to see if anyone else weighs in on the matter.

Thanks for your speedy help on this, I appreciate it.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:57 AM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It might be that the Kindle simply took a little while to index the newly added books.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:13 AM   #22
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It might be that the Kindle simply took a little while to index the newly added books.
I think you may have something there... I just moved a single book (converting from EPUB to MOBI) and it showed up fine, although not with a cover. This was a book that I was reading on my Sony T2, so I wanted to go that same place on the Kindle Paperwhite. A search for text kept reporting that nothing was found and that the book was not indexed yet. After several attempts and about 1/2 hour later it finally worked...

So it may be that the Kindle takes awhile for it to update newly added books. On the Sony you can see that a process is occurring after a disconnect from the computer, but there is no such indication on the Kindle.
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #23
tjsoundguy
Enthusiast
tjsoundguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire / Touch /Paperwhite
Hi!

I just connected my new Paperwhite to my Mac, & transferred 3 books from Calibre without incident. The ONLY thing that is out of the ordinary, is the lack of covers for the transferred books.

I'll keep playing around with transfers after I put the kids to bed.

TJB
tjsoundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #24
saxondawg
Connoisseur
saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

I have a Paperwhite. I transfered more than 1,000 mobis and they seem to show up just fine. Indexing does not seem to be happening, though--whenever I search for a line of gibberish like xcsgez, it shows the same number that are still not indexed. Normally I should see it progressing through the files steadily by now.

Plugins, unsurprisingly, don't work yet (Kindle Collections and page numbers). At least, I don't see any page numbers though, come to think of it, it DID tell me what page number I was on under GO TO. It just doesn't display that page number as far as I can tell. But I haven't played with the device much yet.

As Kovid says, I hope Amazon will minimize the silliness. They do the big things well, them get crazy on some of the smaller things, such as making you remove dmr to left-justify your text. Why not allow people to have that decision on Amazon books?
saxondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #25
saxondawg
Connoisseur
saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Also, my Paperwhite does seem to show my books as "books" and not docs. They do use the Cloud and Device designations. Under Cloud, everything is "My Items."

Under Cloud, all of my items show up as Books except a .pdf, which shows as a doc.

Hope this is helpful. Any other questions?
saxondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Good so it looks like the driver basically works. No need to restrict it to not create sub-directories.

Regarding the covers, someone with the device is going to have to figure out where the thumbnails are stored so that the driver can be modified to upload the covers. Another alternative is to use the "Share not sync" option when converting MOBI files. (This is likely the same issue as described here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....or-android-etc
Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #27
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
I've had good luck moving the mobi files over but am also not seeing the covers unless I use the "share" option. Now it gives me the annoying "Personal" banner at the bottom and now shows in docs rather than books but I can live with it. Interesting thing is that when the cover does not show in the book list it does show when I long press on the book to go to the options screen. Anyway, will use the "share" option and hope for smart people to figure out if there is a better way
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #28
tjsoundguy
Enthusiast
tjsoundguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire / Touch /Paperwhite
In another thread, someone said that the covers are in \system\thumbnails.

I'll try & look as well...
tjsoundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #29
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yes system/thumbnails is where the cover files are placed on the Touch, and that is where calibre uploads the thumbnails. If they aren;t being picked up by the paperwhite, then something must be different.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #30
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
Mine loaded just fine this morning, syncing via the Reading List plugin (~500 books). I am curious, however, as to what is the code that governs whether or not the embedded cover shows up...
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote