Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
Bryanhoop
Bryanhoop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Smile Don't sync covers

Is there any way to prevent Calibre from syncing covers to my Kindle? I have quite a large collection and space is getting tight on my Kindle 4.
Bryanhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not put covers separately on Kindles, as long as you use Send to Device. in calibre.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:15 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please don't hijack someone else's thread to ask an unrelated question - it's very impolite. Start a new thread.

Thanks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
Bryanhoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre does not put covers separately on Kindles, as long as you use Send to Device. in calibre.
Ahhh, so I would likely need to delete the first page in my e-books that display a cover on my device. Gotcha. I had just assumed Calibre was adding them to the e-books on sync or metadata update.

Which leads me to a question: the size of the folder contents where I store my e-books is ~1.1GB. This includes the cover art and calibre metadata files, so I would assume that the actual disk space of just the ebooks would be much lower.

However, when I sync my books to my 2GB Kindle, it takes up virtually all of the space (30 MB remaining). I realize that only ~1.4GB is available for ebooks but I would expect much more space would be available.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How big is the "documents" folder on your Kindle? The Kindle has a fair amount of overhead for things like its index files.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
Bryanhoop

The documents folder is only 1GB. The search indexes folder is 330MB! Holy smokes, is that normal? I never use the search function, so this seems like such a waste.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:41 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That sounds about right. I currently have 585 books on my Kindle. My "documents" folder is 445MB, "Search Indexes" is 181MB. ie, indexes are 40% of the size of the books.

Last edited by HarryT; 12-20-2011 at 03:46 AM.