Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
North19
Enthusiast
North19 began at the beginning.

Device: entourage eDGe, pocket eDGe, kindle
EE browser instability in Dingo

I am so frustrated. I downgraded to Dingo golden, browser seemed ok; spent half an hour with no spontaneous closing, then I tried ermine again: crash crash crash browser.

So I downgraded again to Dingo golden (using knowledge base link: thanks larka and Filark).

Now the browser is crashing again in Dingo. I know I may be able to get stability with dolphin (the older app; hd won't run on dingo), but then I lose the whole integration with e-ink side.

For those of you with EEs, are there workarounds? Or do you just have better EEs and mine is a particularly buggy one? I need this size screen, but I had no idea I'd end up with what feels like a much less stable system than the PE. Honestly right now I wish I'd stuck with the pocket edge.

Last edited by North19; 06-04-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: clarity
North19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
geneven1
Enthusiast
geneven1 began at the beginning.

Device: P. Edge, Kindle, N800-810-900
There are a bunch of browsers. Opera is a favorite and Xscope6 has a good reputation. You can get either of them from the Amazon app store. I liked the Dolphin mini browser.
geneven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
North19
Enthusiast

But is there any workaround to preserve the default browser?

because it's the only one that works with the e-ink side. I can use dolphin, but it won't save websites as epubs and open them in the eink reader for annotating.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
North19
Enthusiast

Also, I'm having trouble with gmail under the default email; I get null errors when clicking the notifications bar.

Last edited by North19; 06-04-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
I have the same problem with the default Android browser on my EE. I found the most stable browser on the EE is Opera Mini 6, which hasn't crashed once. Here are some alternate browsers you can try.

Opera Mini 6: http://www.4shared.com/file/MUQCim95/OperaMini6.html

xScope: http://www.mediafire.com/?ldi2xlmnxcx084z

Miren: http://www.4shared.com/file/XdfiVOIe/cnmirenbrowser.htm
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
paula-t
paula-t began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Boat browser seems to work fine too

The browser unstability is the only bug I find really annoying in Ermine.

Dolphin MIni, which I love, crashes frequently.

Also XScope 6.43, one of the best browsers, also crashes.

Also the resident default Browser, which is very useful because it is the only one supporting full interactivity with the Reader screen.

Same with Opera Mini, which also crashes in my case.
Someone recommended Boat browser as "reputed for stability", and I will
now try to get it and test it.

I have tested them all in Android mode and in not-Android mode, I have tried clearing data, reinstalling, well...

I will continue with my testing anyway and report results as soon as I find a browser which really will endure sustained navigation., while I wait for the Ermine final version. (Don't chuckle while you're drinking coffee or you might choke and, worse, spill coffee over your Edges.)
paula-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
if you could post a log of the browser crash it may be helpful in determining what the problem is. You will need to be rooted(I think), just open up a terminal(I think you can find one under developer->terminal emulator), type "su", then type "logcat -c", then "logcat -f /sdcard/logcat.txt". Then press home, open the browser and make it crash, then go back to the terminal emulator and press down on the scrolly thingy and tap "c" on the keybaord.

I hope this is not too confusing, if you need a more detailed explanation PM me and I'll try and make it a bit easier...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
North19
Enthusiast

But my default browser is unstable even in Dingo. Without it, the e-ink side isn't one tenth as useful....! I gave up Ermine and downgraded and the default browser still crashes. This didn't happen on my PE.

Is there any fix that uses the default browser so that my e-ink can integrate?
Old 06-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
North19
Enthusiast

My edges aren't rooted....
Old 06-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
North19
Enthusiast

Paula, under Ermine, I had good luck with Skyfire; I haven't yet found a download of it for Dingo.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by North19 View Post
Is there any fix that uses the default browser so that my e-ink can integrate?
There are none that I know if, if we learn how to program for the e-ink at some point in time we may be able to add e-ink support to some open source browsers, but until/unless that happens I don't know if there is any easy fix...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Skyfire 2.3 is compatible with Dingo. It can be downloaded at freewarelovers.com

http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/skyfire
Old 06-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #13
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula-t View Post
The browser unstability is the only bug I find really annoying in Ermine.

Dolphin MIni, which I love, crashes frequently.

Also XScope 6.43, one of the best browsers, also crashes.

Also the resident default Browser, which is very useful because it is the only one supporting full interactivity with the Reader screen.

Same with Opera Mini, which also crashes in my case.
Someone recommended Boat browser as "reputed for stability", and I will
now try to get it and test it.

I have tested them all in Android mode and in not-Android mode, I have tried clearing data, reinstalling, well...

I will continue with my testing anyway and report results as soon as I find a browser which really will endure sustained navigation., while I wait for the Ermine final version. (Don't chuckle while you're drinking coffee or you might choke and, worse, spill coffee over your Edges.)

xScope seems to be pretty stable if you change the User Agent from Android to iPad. I have used xScope quite a bit with only minimum crashes. What makes the whole EE thing strange is not everyone is experiencing the exact same things. For instance, I have yet to have Opera Mini 6 crash on my EE, but it crashes for you. However, I have the Mobile view for Opera turned off. Many EE users have reported troubles coming out of hibernation. I haven't had a single time where the EE didn't come out of hibernation. It's all so strange.

Last edited by obsessed2; 06-04-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #14
North19
Enthusiast

I tried re-erminizing (3rd try).

It's much improved now with Ermine and Skyfire; only one crash in three hours. That one crash was just as I got an update notification from AndappStore. Is it possible the crashes are caused by the EE being unable to juggle some types of multi-tasking?
Old 06-05-2011, 12:01 AM   #15
Dumas
Connoisseur
Dumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enough

Device: Nokia N810, enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe
You might have some things running in the background you didn't know were there. There are apps that tell you what's running in the background and you can stop them if you don't need them for what you're doing at the time.
Dumas is offline   Reply With Quote