Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-27-2020, 08:44 AM   #1
jackj
jackj began at the beginning.

Device: Various 6" Kindles; Kobo Glo HD
Kobo Clara HD or Libra H2O?

I've used 6" Kindles since they first came out, including most recently a PW4. They've met my needs well, which is mostly getting free books from my public library through OverDrive. I've also owned a Kobo Glo HD since that model was released, purchased primarily to sideload books my my library's Cloud Library service, which doesn't work with Kindle.

I hadn't used the Kobo for over a year, but just got it out for a book I can't get from OverDrive. I forgot how nice it is. It's a little sluggish and the default dictionary is too limited (I assume I can upgrade it, tho), but I like just about everything else about it, especially adjusting the brightness without going to a menu.

But I wish I could get books directly from OverDrive with it, which apparently only the newer models can do. Yeah, sideloading is possible there, but I had Adobe Digital Editions with a passion, as it causes me nothing but grief with authorization hassles.

I've been happy with the portability of the 6" readers, so I'm pretty confident the Clara HD will work well for me. But I'm tempted to splurge the extra US$50 for the Libra, mostly to see if I like the bigger screen. Waterproofing doesn't mean much to me, and I don't need page buttons. I also own four 6" readers already, so adding a fifth seems excessive.

Anyone tried the Libra only to wish they'd saved some cash and gotten a Clara to better fit in a pocket or an overstuffed bag?

The screen issues on the Libra are only a slight concern for me. I'm not super picky about even lighting, though I'm sure the worst of the Libras would have disappointed me. I think I can live with the darker edge.

Also wondering if anyone has a recent shipping time for purchases from Kobo.com to the states (Indiana, in my case). I understand they ship from Toronto. I'd rather buy from them than Walmart, but not if it'll take more than a couple days extra.

Thanks!
jackj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:41 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I recommend you look at Indigo.ca. They have the Libra listed at $199 which comes to under $150 USD. They also had a pop-up saying if you signed up for what I'm sure is their spam list, they will give you 10% off of a $50+ order.

As for choosing between the two, I can't help. I've always stuck with 6" readers. My only reason for looking at the Libra is the waterproofing and buttons and you already said those don't matter much to you.

I don't think the Libra is all that much larger than the Clara due to the smaller bezels on three sides of the screen. Maybe someone that has both could post a pic of the two side-by-side.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2020, 11:55 AM   #3
jackj

Thanks for the tip on Indigo. I went ahead and put the Clara in my cart (I guess I'm leaning toward being cheap), but unfortunately it looks like the 10% promo doesn't apply to electronics. Darn.

And yeah, the Libra screen isn't that much bigger. I'd love to see them side by side, especially in person, but it doesn't look my local Walmarts stock them.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #4
jackj

Just following up here, in case anyone from the US looks into Indigo. After I put in my address, it switched to US dollars at $139, plus $18 shipping, so considerably more than kobo.com our Walmart. I do remember that I purchased my Glo HD from Indigo, though, and it was the cheapest option at that time. But not now, based on my experience.

Still, I appreciate the tip ZodWallop. Always looking to save a few bucks if I can.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:26 PM   #5
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
side-by-side photos here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3886389
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2020, 02:28 PM   #6
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I own both. Both are really good. I tend to use Libra H2O. I purchased through Walmart. The same device it just has Walmart banding at startup
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:32 PM   #7
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackj View Post
Thanks for the tip on Indigo. I went ahead and put the Clara in my cart (I guess I'm leaning toward being cheap), but unfortunately it looks like the 10% promo doesn't apply to electronics. Darn.

And yeah, the Libra screen isn't that much bigger. I'd love to see them side by side, especially in person, but it doesn't look my local Walmarts stock them.

Libra is much better in the hands. The extra inch makes a HUGE difference.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:14 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

And now you can remove the Clara HD from your cart. I have a Kobo Aura H2O with a 6.8" screen and there is no way I would by a Clara HD as my main Reader. I like the larger screen. I think you'd enjoy the larger 7" screen over the smaller 6" screen. So please do yourself a favor and go for the Libra.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:36 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I purchased through Walmart. The same device it just has Walmart banding at startup
You can easily remove the Walmart branding. I did.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:44 PM   #10
mtreader
Connoisseur
mtreader began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Nova 2, Kobo Clara
How do you remove the branding?
mtreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:02 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
But I wish I could get books directly from OverDrive with it, which apparently only the newer models can do. Yeah, sideloading is possible there, but I had Adobe Digital Editions with a passion, as it causes me nothing but grief with authorization hassles.

I've been happy with the portability of the 6" readers, so I'm pretty confident the Clara HD will work well for me. But I'm tempted to splurge the extra US$50 for the Libra, mostly to see if I like the bigger screen. Waterproofing doesn't mean much to me, and I don't need page buttons. I also own four 6" readers already, so adding a fifth seems excessive.
If you buy any Kobo that supports Overdrive you can check out the book on Overdrive with that new Kobo, and then you can download and read it directly on your old Kobos as well (without ADE). So, if you bought the Libra, you could check out the book on it and read it on your Kobo Glo HD if you wanted to (maybe the Kobo Glo HD would be your "traveling reader"). I've got an Aura 2 (mostly for that purpose of using Overdrive). Even my Kobo Mini can read the book checked on the Aura 2.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:40 PM   #12
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
I hadn't used the Kobo for over a year, but just got it out for a book I can't get from OverDrive. I forgot how nice it is. It's a little sluggish and the default dictionary is too limited (I assume I can upgrade it, tho), but I like just about everything else about it, especially adjusting the brightness without going to a menu.

Thanks!
With regards to the dictionary, please make sure to read some of the threads in the Kobo forum regarding dictionaries.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:53 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtreader View Post
If you mean branding on a Kobo it's simply a matter of editting a text file on the device that specifies an affiliate.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:16 PM   #14
HLS
Wizard

Quote:

Do a search here. it was posted before. I do not remember how off hand but it was easy
Old 04-27-2020, 07:30 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Connect your Kobo to your PC, tell Windows or Mac (or Linux) to show hidden files and go into the .kobo (with the dot in front) directory. There you will find a file named affiliate.conf. Edit that with a text editor (not a word processor) and change affiliate=walmart to affiliate=kobo.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote