Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 11-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Trollope, Anthony: Can You Forgive Her? Illustrated v1 13 Nov 2012

Can You Forgive Her?, the first book in the Palliser series, is already available as part of HarryT's Palliser omnibus.

This version stands alone, has navigation and a preface, and is illustrated.

Anthony Trollope wrote forty-seven novels and five volumes of short stories as well as travel books, biographies and collections of sketches. The Barsetshire series and the six Palliser or 'political' books were the first novel-sequences to be written in English. His works offer an unsurpassed portrait of the professional and landed classes of Victorian England, often with his own sardonic asides. In his Autobiography of Anthony Trollope (published posthumously in 1883) he described the self-discipline learned from his mother that enabled his prolific output: he would produce a given number of words per hour in the early morning, before work; he always wrote while travelling by rail or sea and as soon as he finished one novel he began another. He became one of England's most successful and popular writers.

Can You Forgive Her? was published in monthly istallments in 1864-1865 and in book form in 1864 (Volume I) and 1865 (Volume II) by Chapman and Hall. The first volume was illustrated by Hablot Browne (Phiz) and the second by Miss E Taylor.

Like many long serialised Victorian novels the plot is complex and sprawling. Most commentators seem to focus on the reactions of 'three strong women' (Alice Vavasour, Glencora Palliser, and Arabella Greenaway) and their relationships. To my mind a more important theme is the power struggle between men and women of the time: 'and it must be acknowledged that he behaved very well... But then, he had his own way in everything. Lady Glencora did not behave very well... But then, she had her own way in nothing.'

As always please let me know if of any errors so I can fix them.

Version 2, 19 November 2012, fixes a typo and blank pages on iPad/iBooks.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub CanYouForgiveHer.epub (3.02 MB, 572 views)

Last edited by AlexBell; 11-18-2012 at 07:24 PM.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
camtosh
Enthusiast
camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo touch
Thanks for this! Can't wait to begin Trolloping.
Btw, I noticed this typo in the intro: “He attempted to enter Parliament as a Liberal in 1968 but was defeated.”
Should be 1868? Or there is another reason he wasn't elected!
camtosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtosh View Post
Thanks for this! Can't wait to begin Trolloping.
Btw, I noticed this typo in the intro: “He attempted to enter Parliament as a Liberal in 1968 but was defeated.”
Should be 1868? Or there is another reason he wasn't elected!
Thanks for pointing out the typo; I really appreciate it - though I 'm very embarrassed at missing it. I'll fix it as soon as I can.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard

Version 2, 19 November 2012, fixes a typo and blank pages on iPad/iBooks.