Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-06-2020, 11:21 AM   #16
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
They have an email site for customer suggestions.
Maybe a campaign to inform them?
I asked them about ebooks around the time the final volume was published. They like the idea but their agreement with Zelazny's estate is for print books only.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:35 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Here's the original Lancer covers for the Elric paperbacks I own, which pre-date the DAW books:
I like those. Don't think I've seen them before. For my money, the best Elric covers were the Robert Gould ones. Michael Whelan made him too fit and muscular.

That's Elric, to me.

The trade dress for all the Michael Moorcock books at this time were beautiful.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^ Yes, there's a certain ethereal beauty to those covers, which I've often seen at used book stores.

The Lancer covers, on the other hand, remind me that I'm about to encounter a Jack Vance novel - something like Cugel The Clever, or maybe something from Zelazny's character Dilvish The Damned.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-10-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:00 PM   #19
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Many times, a publisher likes to have a distinctive look for the cover art on their books. For many readers, the cover art is the thing that catches their eye. I've certainly bought more than a few books as much because the cover art as anything else. I personal preferred the DAW Michael Whelan covers for Elric, but I will certainly admit that the character in the cover art is a whole lot more cut than the character described in the books. But then again, typically the female in the fantasy novels tended to wear a lot more clothes than they are shown wearing on the cover. For some reason 14 year old boys tend to like that sort of thing.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:15 AM   #20
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Many times, a publisher likes to have a distinctive look for the cover art on their books. For many readers, the cover art is the thing that catches their eye. I've certainly bought more than a few books as much because the cover art as anything else. I personal preferred the DAW Michael Whelan covers for Elric, but I will certainly admit that the character in the cover art is a whole lot more cut than the character described in the books. But then again, typically the female in the fantasy novels tended to wear a lot more clothes than they are shown wearing on the cover. For some reason 14 year old boys tend to like that sort of thing.

Probably boy-men from ages 8 - 110 (or older?), more likely.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:58 PM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I personal preferred the DAW Michael Whelan covers for Elric, but I will certainly admit that the character in the cover art is a whole lot more cut than the character described in the books.
For me, the later covers attracted my eye because the lead character seems so much frailer and looked more sinister than your typical fantasy hero.

I also think they are more in spirit with what is inside.

Quote:
But then again, typically the female in the fantasy novels tended to wear a lot more clothes than they are shown wearing on the cover. For some reason 14 year old boys tend to like that sort of thing.
If my extensive study of van art and Boris Vallejo paintings has taught me anything, those interests don't stop at fourteen.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:14 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If my extensive study of van art and Boris Vallejo paintings has taught me anything, those interests don't stop at fourteen.
But—hopefully—we get a bit more subtle about our interest.

Though I must admit to preferring Chesley Bonestell to Boris Vallejo.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:18 PM   #23
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

Frazetta.
And not just for the fems.
His martian menagerie is still the baseline for me.

(I suspect the JOHN CARTER art crew drew a lot of inspiration from him.)

Mind you I bought a lot of Whelan books.
Grey Morrow I didn't run into often but he too was great.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-10-2020 at 07:22 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:45 PM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Frazetta.
And not just for the fems.
His martian menagerie is still the baseline for me.

(I suspect the JOHN CARTER art crew drew a lot of inspiration from him.).
I love Frazetta's art. Vallejo on the other hand, always seems cheesy to me.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:55 PM   #25
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I love Frazetta's art. Vallejo on the other hand, always seems cheesy to me.
Vallejo varied. Some of his covers were great but others were subtly off, composition-wise.

He could be very dynamic on some, like his Six Million Dollar man.

Frazetta was just invariably great, especially in composition.
In everything, there's a pecking order.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-10-2020 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:37 PM   #26
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
[Link Deleted]

For what it's worth, when I tried to follow that link I got a malware warning from my antivirus. Screen shot attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MalwareWarning.png
Views:	138
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	176320  

Last edited by Kindleing; 01-10-2020 at 10:34 PM.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:29 PM   #27
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleing View Post
For what it's worth, when I tried to follow that link I got a malware warning from my antivirus. Screen shot attached.
I had no problem but I'll delete.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:11 AM   #28
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, whoever is behind Amber Ltd is doing a poor job. They do not have enough of a presence to show that these are legit.
There is no requirement that someone show they are legit, that is the base assumption. The requirement falls onto the person who is saying they are not legit to prove so. Simpy being a small company with a small presence does not (should not) call your integrity into question.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:39 AM   #29
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
There is no requirement that someone show they are legit, that is the base assumption.
Sadly, when buying online I don't think that is true.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:45 AM   #30
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

If we know what's good for us, we do when the wife/significant other is standing there!
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote