Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #46
havaloc
havaloc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I think it could short out connections, which isn't good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judith009 View Post
Do you think there's any danger in leaving the screw to roll around in there? Is there any reason to get a rattling kindle exchanged?
havaloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:16 AM   #47
Got2LoveGadgets
Got2LoveGadgets began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Both my faulty units have been the wifi version. I'm surprised how lightly Amazon are getting off with this fault especially when you think how popular the device is. If this fault was in say the new Ipad there would be total uproar
Got2LoveGadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #48
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2LoveGadgets View Post
Both my faulty units have been the wifi version. I'm surprised how lightly Amazon are getting off with this fault especially when you think how popular the device is. If this fault was in say the new Ipad there would be total uproar
I agree with you about the iPad thing, but also the customer service from Amazon is way better than that from Apple. Amazon shows that it respects it's customers, whereas Apple shows that they just want money. For example, many times when an iPod gets a bad bug, we hear no comment from Apple for months. They won't even recognize the problem. (The antenna issue with the iPhone 4 was different because it was so highly publicized by their competitors, that they were forced to make a statement). Amazon, on the other hand, is very willing to admit when there is a problem, and they are always on the customers' side, and they try to release bug fixes asap. Whereas we see that amazon is exchanging these units without causing trouble, Apple is always ready to lay the blame on the customer whenever possible. At least that's my experience of them. Amazon's great customer service policies are one of the reasons why I chose the Kindle over any other brand ereader.

When a company respects their customers, the customers respect them back.

Last edited by judith009; 09-06-2010 at 07:54 AM.
judith009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #49
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
You guys got me worried. Has it been officially confirmed that only the wifi version has this problem? How many units are affected?
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #50
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
No rattling but sensitive to motion

Mine doesn't rattle but after I took it to Church it started to do repetitive resets until I allowed to rest flat on a table for half an hour.

It appears it is sensitive to motion. I also have a WiFi. When I had it in motion, it was vertical in my jacket pocket. Horizontal position at rest seemed to end the problem.

Amazon is sending me a replacement to be here on Wednesday, Sep 8, 2010.

I hope the new one doesn't have the same problem. I was bragging about it in Church but lost all the effect when it kept resetting.

From this thread it appears ALL the first shipments of WiFi's had this problem.

My Serial Number starts with: B008A0A003

My Software version is: Kindle 3.0 (515460094)

Please post the first 7 digits of your serial numbers and software versions. It may connect a lot of dots.

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-06-2010 at 10:32 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #51
Rave
Rave began at the beginning.

Lol, what's the problem? Open the Kindle, remove the screw and put it back together. You can't do anything wrong...

Watch Daves video, if you don't know how to open a Kindle 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD-wPmowR-Y

Good Luck
Rave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #52
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I have a Kindle 3 with 3G. Serialnumber starts with B00AA0A. Software 3.0 (515460094). Also ordered one very early. No rattles or other trouble. Couldn't connect to PC at first, but after contact with Amazon (excellent service) and reset by holding the on/off button for 15 sec. everything works perfectly. Loaded about 300 books via Calibre.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #53
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I was bragging about it in Church but lost all the effect when it kept resetting.
That's what you get for bragging in Church! LOL
Old 09-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #54
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lucky you

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
I have a Kindle 3 with 3G. Serialnumber starts with B00AA0A. Software 3.0 (515460094). Also ordered one very early. No rattles or other trouble. Couldn't connect to PC at first, but after contact with Amazon (excellent service) and reset by holding the on/off button for 15 sec. everything works perfectly. Loaded about 300 books via Calibre.
You have B00AA instead of the unlucky B008A for the first 5 digits of your serical number. Plus, you have 3G instead of WiFi.

You're in great shape. The rest of us are under water. You paid 50 bucks more but money DOES TALK.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #55
judith009
Groupie

My serial number also starts with b008a, same firmware version, and mine is also rattling (i'm the OP). I was one of the first to order a K3, having placed the order within 2 hours of the anouncement. I wonder then if it's only the b008a units...

Forgot to mention: Mine is Wifi only. Also, are we sure that all of the wifi units don't start with b008a? Because otherwise that would mess up our data...
Old 09-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #56
sirmaru
Wizard

B008A - Bad Lot??

Quote:
Originally Posted by judith009 View Post
My serial number also starts with b008a, same firmware version, and mine is also rattling (i'm the OP). I was one of the first to order a K3, having placed the order within 2 hours of the anouncement. I wonder then if it's only the b008a units...

Forgot to mention: Mine is Wifi only. Also, are we sure that all of the wifi units don't start with b008a? Because otherwise that would mess up our data...
That makes two of us. B008A looks like the bad lot. I just hope my replacement isn't part of that lot.................

See if the first 10 digits are: B008A0A003

I really do want to brag about it again in Church. LOL.

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-06-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #57
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
Quote:
From this thread it appears ALL the first shipments of WiFi's had this problem.

My Serial Number starts with: B008A0A

My Software version is: Kindle 3.0 (515460094)

Please post the first 7 digits of your serial numbers and software versions. It may connect a lot of dots.
I have one of the first shipment wifi Kindles, same software version, serial number starts the same - no rattling at all here. It has crashed, but that's if I use the browser to enter secure sites, and I don't need it to do that.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #58
sirmaru
Wizard

Try taking a long walk with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinath View Post
I have one of the first shipment wifi Kindles, same software version, serial number starts the same - no rattling at all here. It has crashed, but that's if I use the browser to enter secure sites, and I don't need it to do that.
Try walking a mile with it in your pocket. See if it resets when turning it on after the walk.

If I leave mine resting horizontally at home, there is no problem. After the walk to Church it went bonkers for a few hours.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #59
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
You know that B008 is the prefix for Kindle WiFi right? It isn't a "bad lot" as you're claiming that every Kindle WiFi on the planet is broken. Even the 3G+WiFi models are all B00?A0A so this isn't conclusive at all.

Until there are more identifying details for this alleged problem, you're just causing people to panic for no reason.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #60
Rave
Rave began at the beginning.

Quote:
After the walk to Church it went bonkers for a few hours.
Maybe you shouldn't go to the church and read a good book instead...
Rave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loose, rattling