Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-10-2009, 12:49 AM   #1
yunie_
yunie_ began at the beginning.

Device: none
need your recommendation on reader

im an avid reader of self-help and business books so i need a reader that is,

1) Reads PDF well. and i need your opinion if 6" is really good and sufficient to read PDF files.

2) able to make notes, but my concern is if making long notes on the reader is easy at all as compared to writing the notes on a paper.

your recommendations will help me!

Last edited by yunie_; 05-10-2009 at 12:53 AM.
yunie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:00 AM   #2
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
If you're reading full sized A4(?) PDFs, you may want to consider the new Kindle DX with the bigger screen and ability to read PDFs. I believe it's built in keyboard can also be used to make notes.

The problem with 6" screen readers and PDFs is that while some can read them, graphics come out bad, and the text can either be really small or formatted poorly when you magnify it.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2009, 01:08 AM   #3
yunie_
yunie_ began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaldo View Post
If you're reading full sized A4(?) PDFs, you may want to consider the new Kindle DX with the bigger screen and ability to read PDFs. I believe it's built in keyboard can also be used to make notes.

The problem with 6" screen readers and PDFs is that while some can read them, graphics come out bad, and the text can either be really small or formatted poorly when you magnify it.
how about the 505 tt re-size fonts? the text will be good enough eh?
yunie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:11 AM   #4
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I have a 505, and like I said above, the problem with 6" screen readers and PDFs is that if you're trying to view a PDF with fullsize pages, then graphics come out bad and text is usually really small, and when you magnify it, it can come out poorly formatted. If it's a PDF formatted to a 6" screen, it looks great, otherwise, it does not.

If you need to read PDFs formatted for a full page of paper, you need a screen that's as big as possible.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:52 AM   #5
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunie_ View Post
im an avid reader of self-help and business books so i need a reader that is,

1) Reads PDF well. and i need your opinion if 6" is really good and sufficient to read PDF files.

2) able to make notes, but my concern is if making long notes on the reader is easy at all as compared to writing the notes on a paper.

your recommendations will help me!
Generally, how well the current crop of 6" diagonal eBook readers handle things is mostly a factor of what's in the PDF. If it's mostly text, and I would think business books are that way, then you're possibly OK with something like the Sony PRS readers, which at current levels do a reasonable job of splitting things up and have native PDF support. But 6" is ultimately, pretty small for a technical book, so something bigger, like the iRex DRs or the upcoming Kindle DXs, will do much better. No real substitute for pixels, when you need them, so you might need the bigger screens.

Notes on the reader is doable, but having a keyboard makes that somewhat easier, which favors the Amazon offerings. If you're just bookmarking, or making notes by copying or highlighting, they mostly all will do that much. Obviously, something like a PC with a real keyboard has advantages there, or a tablet PC if you like to scribble.
pwjone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2009, 08:03 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
According to its User Guide, the Kindle DX does not allow notes in PDFs.

The iLiad and DR1000S from iRex handle PDFs well, and take handwritten notes via a stylus. They are expensive though, with poor battery life.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
I concour, you need the Iliad or the DR1000S from Irex.

Good shopping,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote