Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
gokalp
gokalp began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 700
Thumbs down E-ink screen closeup and anti-aliasing

I was reading some ebooks while I was waiting some sample preparation to finish up. Being the curious fellow, I wondered what the e-ink screen really looks like when zoomed in. And I though I should share this with my Mobileread fellows.

So here is the close up of the word "of":

You can clearly see the capsules with the black ink. With some electric field, one can manipulate the ink, turning the pixel black or white.

I was wondering about the anti-aliasing on the screen, and whether we can turn it off. Based on this picture, I think it is something inherent, as the e-ink screen does not really seem to have traditional pixels...

Edit: I do not know how I selected that thread icon
gokalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
jbruce
Connoisseur
jbruce has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 700
I was wondering this myself with some of the font experiments from the other thread (if the reader is anti-aliasing text).

Which may be to simulate ink-bleed - like a printed page would have, and the mac currently does (I might be reaching for the logic) - but I do think the reader is capable of not anti-aliasing text. Zooming in the image attached - seems to generate no anti-aliasing. And, none of the navigational/annotation menus seems to be anti-aliased.

Click image for larger version

Name:	color_test.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	706.6 KB
ID:	25577

However, I have not seen anywhere in the settings for the reader a place to turn this on or off.

J

ps. not sure how the LRF/LRX files are encoded; so, not sure how easy/difficult it would be to have this as a firmware update.
jbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
Thumbs up The Future cometh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokalp View Post
....You can clearly see the capsules with the black ink.....as the e-ink screen does not really seem to have traditional pixels...

Clearly, eInk "pixels" should not be confused with the
digital version, but if used as a descriptor the analogy
would be the same.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote