Notices

Old 01-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #1
murali1311
murali1311 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Converting android tablet to a dedicated kindle

Hi,

I am not sure whether this is a right forum to ask. but I have this question

I have a old LG Android Tablet and I want to convert it to a dedicated book reader like Kindle. I searched the web and everywhere I am getting link to convert Kindle device to a android tablet but not the vice versa.

Is it really a possible? I know about the kindle app but I want to get rid of android OS and have a dedicated kindle reader.

is that possible?

Last edited by murali1311; 01-06-2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: updated title
murali1311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I seriously doubt that is possible to do.

If you just want to use it as a kindle reader, then delete all removable software from the tablet, put it in airplane mode, and use the Kindle reader software.

Otherwise just buy a Kindle.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't think it's possible. Even if you could overcome the huge hurdle of patching all the kindle firmware/software to work with your device's specific hardware, you'd never* get it registered to your amazon account so that books could be purchased/delivered.

*My use of the word "never" should be taken in a practical sense and not a literal one.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-06-2018 at 12:45 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
What might be possible, would be to install the Kindle reader for Android and to hack at Android to remove all unwanted stuff and nonsense and possibly rig the Kindle reader to launch at boot by default. It wouldn't be a "real" Kindle, but you might be able to get it to be enough of a look-alike to satisfy.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #5
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
You can download the kindle app and no other app so in that way its technically dedicated kindle BUT you may want to just get a fire tablet for its dedicated to all things amazon ebooks, video and such
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Even the Amazon Fire tablets are not “dedicated” Kindles. They are android tablets that are tied to the Amazon universe for entertainment, but also able to connect to the web at large.

Dedicated Kindles are single use e-readers, with e-ink screens. They are only used for books.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:04 PM   #7
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by murali1311 View Post
Hi,

I am not sure whether this is a right forum to ask. but I have this question

I have a old LG Android Tablet and I want to convert it to a dedicated book reader like Kindle. I searched the web and everywhere I am getting link to convert Kindle device to a android tablet but not the vice versa.

Is it really a possible? I know about the kindle app but I want to get rid of android OS and have a dedicated kindle reader.

is that possible?
Install the Kindle app and use that. It's really all you need to do. You might turn off Wifi or put it in airplane mode so you won't get interruptions. People read on tablets with the Kindle app all the time. I do that on my Android phone when I'm away from home.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:33 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I seriously doubt that is possible to do.

If you just want to use it as a kindle reader, then delete all removable software from the tablet, put it in airplane mode, and use the Kindle reader software.

Otherwise just buy a Kindle.

The above advice is your best solution.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #9
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
You should be able to remove or disable all the other apps and just use the Kindle app. BTW the Kindle app has lots of nice features.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #10
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Even if you could make all of the software modifications needed to get the Kindle firmware to run an your device it would be an inferior experience to just running the Kindle for Android app on it.

Regular Kindle firmware has many limitations that are dictated by the e-ink screen such as black-and-white display of covers and internal images, having to page through lists of books/pages instead of scrolling, and lack of animation (Kindle in Motion).
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android-to-kindle, kindle, kindle os