Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
"Honest Reviews Only" - Do you want to smack this author?

Would a professional author solicit reviews by asking for "Honest Reviews Only"?

And, if you were a spammer, would you actually listen to such a demand?

My personal opinion is that I want to slap that author upside his noggin' for admonishing me to send him an 'honest' review. In my opinion, this is the mark of an amateur, one who is so desperate to get a review that he or she resorts to silly demands.

What's your thinking about this? Please, only honest responses.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I think it's a great idea and what everyone should do!

Oh, you wanted only honest responses. Damn.

I might remind the occasional person that I know directly that I did ask for their opinion so they should be open about their reactions and not feel that they have to hold back. But asking someone to be honest is almost a declaration that they would otherwise be dishonest. Even if you happen to think that's true, it's generally considered impolite to actually say it.

As for saying such things on the Internet: I would suggest that, even putting aside the lack of faith implied, it is unnecessary. Most of the anonymous people on the Internet don't seem to have a lot of trouble with honest reviews of someone else's work - sometimes to the extreme. And, added to that, it starts to sound a little desperate.

But, no, I don't want to slap them on the noggin'.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Wouldn't an honest review be one that said whatever you thought of the book, whether good or bad? I would read that as meaning he wants negative reviews if you think it's crap, rather than leaving a dishonest one that said it was great.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:07 AM   #4
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I try to review as many books (that I read) as possible -- especially for unknown, new and "Indie" authors. That actually does amount to quite a few.

I only give "honest" reviews, but if I can't give at least 3 Stars -- or whatever constitutes a middle ground review -- I usually don't post a review.* Unless I feel that I was somehow misled or cheated.

I've never had an author directly ask me for a review. I would find that a bit "off-putting." On the other hand, I might be willing to provide editing and critiquing services ... if we could agree on a fee.

* I did, in fact, just write up a 2 Star review. It was for an Edgar Rice Burroughs book -- The Cave Girl. I didn't consider it nearly as good as his other work, and I doubt that I damaged his reputation any.

Last edited by cromag; 09-08-2014 at 03:42 AM. Reason: inserted missing asterisk.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I try to review as many books (that I read) as possible -- especially for unknown, new and "Indie" authors. That actually does amount to quite a few.

I only give "honest" reviews, but if I can't give at least 3 Stars -- or whatever constitutes a middle ground review -- I usually don't post a review.* Unless I feel that I was somehow misled or cheated.

I've never had an author directly ask me for a review. I would find that a bit "off-putting." On the other hand, I might be willing to provide editing and critiquing services ... if we could agree on a fee.

I did, in fact, just write up a 2 Star review. It was for an Edgar Rice Burroughs book -- The Cave Girl. I didn't consider it nearly as good as his other work, and I doubt that I damaged his reputation any.
Well he has been deceased since 1950 so it's a moot point. Myself I think I'd be offended by such a header especially if I'd given a review of a particular author's work before as (to me) it would be saying that they felt I hadn't been honest in my reviews in the past.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2014, 02:36 AM   #6
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post

I did, in fact, just write up a 2 Star review. It was for an Edgar Rice Burroughs book -- The Cave Girl. I didn't consider it nearly as good as his other work, and I doubt that I damaged his reputation any.
When I see people who have twice the ratings than reviews, e.g, I always used to think that they don't have the time. I didn't reckon with a policy as such. I write reviews for all my ratings, but I never read self published or "desperate" authors' work.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
[...] but I never read self published or "desperate" authors' work.
Do you equate the two?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote