Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-26-2008, 02:14 AM   #1
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
New Covers available for Cybook

I was just over at the Bookeen site and noticed that they have several new covers available, all of which actually allow for easy access to the navigation button and have a cut out for the indicator light. There is a basic black cover for the usual $39.95 US, and $74.95 US.

Has anyone seen these new covers in person? Would it be worth it to shell out another $40-75US for a more customized cover? I gotta say I'm tempted. Everytime I put my Cybook back in it's cover, to read in bed with my clip on light, I keep looking up at where the indicator light is and seeing only brown pleather.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why do you want to see the light, as a matter of interest? As far as I can tell, it doesn't give you any "useful" information other than when you're charging the machine.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2008, 04:14 AM   #3
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Well, I use to light to check if I have pressed the button strongly enough for the Cybook to register the command.
When you press a button, the light becomes green.
So when the page is long to change, I check to see if the change page command was actually registered and is taking a bit of time or if I need to press again.

Except that sometimes, the light comes on, but no page change occurs even after a few seconds so I still have to press the button again ...
Am I the only one that has seem such a behaviour ?
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:39 AM   #4
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
Has anyone seen these new covers in person? Would it be worth it to shell out another $40-75US for a more customized cover? I gotta say I'm tempted. Everytime I put my Cybook back in it's cover, to read in bed with my clip on light, I keep looking up at where the indicator light is and seeing only brown pleather.
Only if you want the "genuine leather". They should have addressed the navigation button hole problem first, in my opinon.
No one else is complaining about it but I'm getting quite frustrated - I even started to take CyB out of the cover while reading...

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:12 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
Except that sometimes, the light comes on, but no page change occurs even after a few seconds so I still have to press the button again ...
Am I the only one that has seem such a behaviour ?
No, you are not the only one.

I have another use. When I read PDFs, if I press the button and the light stays green for some seconds, I know that the Cybook is going to crash, so I look at the page number to return to it after the reboot.

Unfortunately, in the library screen it sometimes takes a few seconds for the light to come on after a button press, so I still have to wait for a while to see whether the button press was registered or not.
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
Well, I use to light to check if I have pressed the button strongly enough for the Cybook to register the command.
When you press a button, the light becomes green.
So when the page is long to change, I check to see if the change page command was actually registered and is taking a bit of time or if I need to press again.
This is the same reason I look at the light. Sometimes I'm not sure if a button press has been registered. If the light is green at least I know I hit the button hard enough to register. If the light goes out and the page doesn't change I have to hit it again anyway. This doesn't happen as much with the new firmware though.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Oh, some of those are beautiful. I don't think I can justify the price, but I want to be able to
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:17 AM   #8
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur
Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: CybkG3; iPads; Kindle PW2, Fire; NookGlow; KoboGlo, Aura HD, Aura One;
I just ordered one of the new black covers for my Cybook (after reading here about the differences from the old cover, which I hadn't noticed; thanks y'all!). The price from BooksOnBoard is $29.99, and just $4.00 shipping (Priority Mail in the U.S.). Quite a bit better price than from Bookeen direct. (BooksOnBoard.com is also where I ordered the Cybook itself from. Not only did it include a case, cable & a/c adaptor, but I was happy with the price & speed of delivery as well.)

Even though my original cover is only about a week old (as is my Cybook), what I've wished for is a hole through which to view the little light, as others have mentioned, and more space around the page-turn button assembly. So I'm hoping to be quite happy with the new cover! (Just ordered it about an hour ago.)
Mikeyboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:36 PM   #9
Justy
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyboards View Post
I just ordered one of the new black covers for my Cybook (after reading here about the differences from the old cover, which I hadn't noticed; thanks y'all!).
Let us know what you think of it when it arrives!!!
Old 06-30-2008, 09:29 PM   #10
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur
Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Okay, I just received the new-style black cover for the Cybook from BooksOnBoard. Here are my impressions (compared to the brown cover), though I've only had my mitts on it for about a half-hour...

1) Nice looking, very nice; a great match for the design and color of the Cybook.
2) Seems like it's real leather, as opposed to the PU Leather of the brown one? But I'm not sure. Seems to have more of a leather smell than the other no-smell one.
3) The whole inside is suede (or suede-like) except for the part that frames the front and sides of the Cybook.
4) It feels nice to me. And it feels lighter than the other one, even though I think it's actually heavier.
5) It's about a quarter-inch wider than the other one (when closed), so beware if you have a perfect fitting hard case for your Cybook-in-brown-cover. This one will exceed the boundaries. When opened up for reading, I would say that left flap extends almost a half-inch farther to the left. In other words, none of the extra width is from the right edge of the cover, but rather the left flap that opens, including the extra real estate where it bends.
6) The extra width seems to be at the spine, where the cover bends. Maybe it's so that there's more protective space against dropping, if you dropped it on its spine. (But probably just the way they had to contour the leather). I mean, you could fit a pencil in there between the left edge of the Cybook and the cover; there's that much extra space in the bend of the cover.
7) The magnets that hold it closed are nice and strong, and they close it with a satisfying snap. No problem trying to align it just right when you close it. They're strip magnets (not circular), and instead of being at the outside 2 corners, they're about a half-inch down from the top, and up from the bottom, respectively.
8) The fit of the Cybook in the leather frame is nice and tight. I'd worried that without the extra leather that used to cover the logo of the Cybook toward the bottom, it might be too loose. Not so. (Maybe partially because that suede that's contacting the back of the Cybook grips it nicely.)
9) Having the hole over the upper-right-corner indicator light is very nice. I never have that momentary doubting feeling now about whether a button press has been captured (whether turning it on, off, or turning pages, etc.). At first the hole didn't precisely line up over the light, but I think the case was a bit flattened out from shipping, and now it's resuming its proper shape and lines up nicely.
10) The 4 left-edge buttons are harder to access now; I have to really poke my little finger through the leather opening. There's not quite as much of a cutout at the outer left frame-face as in the brown cover. Though I can push the frame to the right a bit; maybe it will improve slightly as it unflattens and gets used to the shape of the Cybook inside. (And/or I could probably cut out a bit more leather myself.)
11) It seems to me the on/off button is a little bit more protected from accidental contact, when the case is closed especially. I think the edges of the case protrude ever so slightly more than the brown case's do.
12) At the right edge there's much more opening than you need for those 2 volume buttons. Above the buttons there's maybe an extra 1.5 inches cut out, as if they're leaving room for future buttons? Or other models of reader?
13) THIS POINT MAY HAVE MORE IMPORTANCE: Around the main Enter/Page-turn button assembly on the front, there's of course plenty of room now for pressing the left rim of the square (to go back a page), and the upper rim of the square. BUT, the right rim of the square is actually closer to the leather frame than with my brown cover; even less room for my finger/fingernail to get in there and page forward. (Though most of the time I page forward using the bottom rim of the square.) AND, speaking of the bottom rim of the button assembly, that edge has either the same amount of limited clearance as in the brown case, or maybe ever so slightly less clearance, but very close to the same amount. I still find it fairly accessible, pressing the bottom rim with the left side of my thumb; I'm usually holding the Cybook in my left hand. I do wish that button assembly was centered horizontally along the face of the Cybook! (But then it would be hitting the battery, I guess.)
About that right-rim clearance; unfortunately you can't really cut out more leather, because the magnet is implanted exactly there; right at the edge of the leather next to the right-rim of the button assembly. (The magnet's inside the leather, of course, but is up against that edge.)

Overall, I think I'm going to like this cover better than the brown one, but will certainly keep the brown one handy (if only because the brown one allows me to fit it inside a couple of the close-fitting hard cases I've been trying out.)

Sorry for the length of this entry, but I wanted to share all aspects of my findings about this cover! (By the way, I'm perfectly happy with the price, speed of delivery, and service of BooksOnBoard.com. They came through again for me, as they did with the initial Cybook purchase. I also notice that this is the case they include now when you purchase the Cybook from them. Also note that they give you $25.00 of reward dollars; I assume they still do that, when you buy the Cybook. You can use those on anything you buy from them, dollar-for-dollar.)

Last edited by Mikeyboards; 06-30-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:42 AM   #11
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur

Two further notes on the newer black Cybook cover compared to the earlier brown one:

1) I think there's less bothersome light reflection off the black leather that frames the screen, when I'm using my l.e.d. book light for reading, than with the brown cover. The black cover seems to be less glossy than the brown cover (though I'll confirm this tonight when reading before going to sleep).

2) When my Cybook is encased in the new black cover, I've now realized (by looking at it horizontally from the vantage point of the bottom edge) that there's a slight arching of the front cover (that covers the screen when closed). This was probably designed to protect the screen better, by inserting a bit more space between the screen and cover, and providing springiness as a further protective measure. (Could even help if you accidentally drop it, perhaps).

I think that's why the overall cover is wider, because instead of having a spine that wraps around the left edge of the Cybook and lays the cover flat over the screen area, that spine extends out to the left a bit more, and is somewhat more pointed, which lets the screen cover kind of angle over the edge of the Cybook and arch across the expanse of the screen. Then finally the more powerful magnets anchor the right-hand border of the cover in place, helping to preserve the arch, and securing the cover more tightly in case you do jar or drop it.

Sheesh, it's hard to describe this in fewer words; sorry about that! And these features I'm referring to are kind of subtle, but I do think it was an intentional design to help protect the Cybook and its screen.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:18 AM   #12
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Strange. Your black cover description doesn't fit the one that came with my new Cybook. Mine is "M-Edge". Is that the one that comes with all Cybooks? Shouldn't be? Is it as good as the default one?

Edit: Here's mine:
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:59 AM   #13
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
That's nice and neat, Over. I quite like that. The one that you buy from irex for the Iliad is a little bit too much like a big leather Filofax cover for my liking, though I'm sure it's to the liking of others. It's just that for me it makes a hardback size out of what I'd prefer to be trade paperback. Still, it's nice and protective I suppose. (Harry, if you're reading, yes, I know I could have bought a Cybook instead if size was an issue ).

Cheers,
Marc (now somewhere around this forum there's instructions for fashioning your own...[goes looking behind the forum Lounge and in all the corners])
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:23 AM   #14
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur

[QUOTE=Over;207201]Strange. Your black cover description doesn't fit the one that came with my new Cybook. Mine is "M-Edge". Is that the one that comes with all Cybooks? Shouldn't be? Is it as good as the default one?

!! Yes, indeed, yours is different than the cover I bought. On the inside left flap, are those pockets?? Or just stitching? And is that a pencil/pen holder/loop in the spine area? And obviously at the far right that's some kind of closing mechanism. Are there not magnets to hold it closed?

Very interesting, because otherwise it looks identical. From what source was your Cybook purchased?

Last edited by Mikeyboards; 07-01-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:33 AM   #15
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur

Oops, BooksOnBoard has sold out of the covers for the Cybook (at least the covers that are sold separately). So it's not listed on their website anymore at this moment. I emailed them to ask about it, and they said they definitely plan to continue to offer black, brown, and other covers. But they didn't want to get into a backorder situation; they hope to get the option back up on the site soon.

Last edited by Mikeyboards; 07-03-2008 at 12:19 PM.