Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
joelleaman
joelleaman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (keyboard)
Text markup for .azw

Hello

I've been experimenting with sending documents to my Kindle 3 via my ...@kindle.com and I noticed that Amazon uses some sort of markup to format a text document in the .azw file it sends you.

For example,

Quote:
*single asterisks*

_single underscores_

#single hashes#

1. Bird
2. McHale
2. Parish

* Red
* Green
* Blue

- Red
- Green
- Blue
will be formatted to
Quote:
single asterisks
single underscores
single hashes
  1. Bird
  2. McHale
  3. Parish
    • Red
    • Green
    • Blue
      • Red
      • Green
      • Blue
It does not automatically format the text "Chapter 1" as a chapter start.
It also does nothing with basic html tags such as <b>bold</b> <i>italics</i>.

Does anyone know what markup the Amazon conversion service uses and where I can find a full list of formatting marks?

Thanks

Joel
joelleaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
joelleaman

I've sent an email to Amazon asking the above questions. I'll wait and see if I hear anything and let you know when/if I do.
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
It looks similar to "Markdown" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown) and/or reStructuredText (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReStructuredText)
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
joelleaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
It looks similar to "Markdown" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown) and/or reStructuredText (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReStructuredText)
Thanks dwig. It seems to me to be mostly like Mardown but with customisations for certain things like not using double * or _ for emphasis and using # for bold. It doesn't recognise ### Header 3 for a third level header.

I just wish I could find some documentation on it.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
AZW is Amazon's name for their MOBI format. Check the MOBI documentation.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
AZW is Amazon's name for their MOBI format. Check the MOBI documentation.

Dale
The OP is inquiring about documentation for the input format (TXT with markup) and not the output format (AZW, MOBI, ...)

Amazon has a daemon which converts emailed TXT files to AZW for delivery to your Kindle. This daemon appears to respect some markup in the source TXT but there doesn't seem to be documentation, or at least easily discovered documentation, for the markup supported by the daemon.

Last edited by dwig; 11-17-2011 at 08:25 AM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote