Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 01:36 AM   #1
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Arrow Digital bookstores for Academics and Scholars

I want to start compiling a list of digital/online bookstores that have a "good" selection of books for academics and scholars, especially those in the arts, humanities, and social sciences.

So far, I have found the following to be somewhat decent:

• ebooks - www.ebooks.com
seems to have a good selection of academic books but it isn't always the cheapest price
• Sony bookstore - bookstore.sony.com
seems to have a fair/good selection of academic books and once in a while, the prices are better than ebooks.com
• Amazon Kindle Store - amazon.com/kindle

• Powells - www.powells.com

• BooksOnBoard - www.booksonboard.com

• eScholarship from CDLIB - www.escholarship.org
from the University of California system. For those who are affiliated to the UC system, use your UC library proxy server or VPN to your UC campus network. This get your more "privileges". I haven't found a way to download the books though, but you can view all of them on your computer screen for free.
• Websites of the various publishers
publishers do not necessarily have the cheapest digital versions available, although if you're desperate this might be an option

[I'll keep adding to the list as I find ones that are appropriate]

Last edited by thibaulthalpern; 03-22-2009 at 09:44 AM.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:26 AM   #2
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Interesting links which gave me a BIG giggle right off the bat. Having a couple degrees in Mathematics I figured I would take a peek at what might be out there for electronic texts. What book comes up first in the list? Differential Equations for Dummies, great woolly jeebus, if you need that book perhaps another course is in order. I KNOW it's a nice review or refresher text if one is rusty but just that title made me laugh because if one struggles at that level, time to look into a different area of study since it is the beginning not the destination of the study of Mathematics.

Nice to see there are a lot more texts out there than when I looked a couple years ago. Thanks for the motivation to look again.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:26 AM   #3
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I'm an anthropologist and we use theories and works from the whole gamut of the humanities, arts and social sciences (depending on what your research specialty is). I'm happen to see some academic electronic books available. I rarely ever buy non-academic books because those I generally read once and never again so I prefer to borrow the general non-fiction and fiction from libraries.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Have you looked at the Kindle store on Amazon? It won't help for non-Kindle owners (although the iPhone is now supported), but, at least when it was first introduced, a large fraction of its lead in ebooks over other sites was "technical" ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Have you looked at the Kindle store on Amazon? It won't help for non-Kindle owners (although the iPhone is now supported), but, at least when it was first introduced, a large fraction of its lead in ebooks over other sites was "technical" ebooks.
Thanks, I just added it. I wish the Amazon Kindle store would open itself up to other devices aside from the Kindle and iPod touch/iPhone. I own an iPod touch but I don't really like to use it to read books. The screen is sooo small.

Tags
academic, arts, humanities, scholarly, social sciences