Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-08-2017, 12:39 AM   #1
fivestones
fivestones began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iPhone
Question How to get Calibre 3 running on Raspberry Pi 3 running Raspbian Jessie?

I'm trying to figure out how to get Calibre 3 running on Raspberry Pi 3 with a Dietpi (raspbian jessie) installation.

There was a reference to an Arch Linux binary of Calibre 3 in another thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3545225). Is it possible to somehow use the Arch Calibre 3 referenced above on a RPi if I'm running Raspbian Jessie instead of Arch? If so, how could I do this? I don't want to switch over to Arch Linux because I've got so much already running and configured the way I would like it to be under Raspbian (actually running the dietpi distribution).
If, as I'm assuming, the Arch version won't run under Raspbian, does anyone know if there's some other binary out there that I could use? I've looked for one but haven't found any for Calibre 3. I have also spent some time trying to get it built from source, but I keep running into problems (with the instructions here (https://github.com/kovidgoyal/build-calibre) when I get to the command

Code:
./linux 32
I end up with this error:

Code:
begin: error generating ACI: error writing manifest: json: error calling MarshalJSON for type schema.ImageManifest: json: error calling MarshalJSON for type types.Labels: bad arch "arm" for linux (must be one of: [amd64 i386 aarch64 aarch64_be armv6l armv7l armv7b])
Which I think is because I'm on an arm processor and the command is not for arm?...

I also tried installing the dependencies without that ./linux 32 script, but most of them were not found when I tried to install with apt. I'm guessing they have different names than are listed in the calibre source json file dependencies list (just as having '-dev' appended to them or things like that) but there are so many to get figured out I decided to come asking for help here first.

Anyone, I'd love to run Calibre 3 (mostly for the calibre server) on my raspbian jessie raspberry pi 3. What should I do?

Thanks!
fivestones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:59 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The build calibre repository is not going to work for building on a RPi, it is only for building the official calibre binaries. You would need to build calibre and all its dependencies by hand, using cross compilation for ARM. Or wait until debian releases a calibre 3.x package.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #3
fivestones
fivestones began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iPhone
Ok, thanks for the info!
fivestones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:49 AM   #4
triggerfish
triggerfish began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The build calibre repository is not going to work for building on a RPi, it is only for building the official calibre binaries. You would need to build calibre and all its dependencies by hand, using cross compilation for ARM. Or wait until debian releases a calibre 3.x package.
Is there any news on a calibre 3.x package for raspbian?

Best regards, Peter

Last edited by triggerfish; 01-17-2018 at 01:49 AM. Reason: signature added.
triggerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Jessie will never ever have it. The definition of Jessie is that it is a stable Debian release, which means they do not update software in it.

Either use sid (unstable) or build everything by hand. Or switch distros.
Debian/Raspbian unstable releases are unstable for a reason, they're not guaranteed to work right...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:48 PM   #6
triggerfish
triggerfish began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Jessie will never ever have it. The definition of Jessie is that it is a stable Debian release, which means they do not update software in it.

Either use sid (unstable) or build everything by hand. Or switch distros.
Debian/Raspbian unstable releases are unstable for a reason, they're not guaranteed to work right...
I have no clue what you are saying... Just need to know if it will work on raspbian or not?
triggerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:41 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
https://www.debian.org/releases/

There are multiple versions of Debian. Debian Stable, has calibre 2.75

Debian Testing, codenamed Buster, has calibre 3.15, as does Debian Unstable, codenamed sid.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases#Codenames
Quote:
Releases of the Debian distribution have both traditional version numbers and codenames based on characters from the Pixar/Disney movie "Toy Story" (1995). Sid, as you may recall, was the evil neighbor kid who broke all the toys. Additionally, the codename for the Experimental repository, RC-Buggy, was Andy's toy car, and is a pun on 'Release Critical' and 'Remote Control.'
Do you feel comfortable using sid? If so, then by all means, update to a newer version of Debian!

BUT. If you know enough about Linux to use it, but not to understand the nitty-gritty details or evaluate the stability of a release cycle, do you really want to experiment with the less than perfectly safe versions?

I think the best move for you is to wait until Buster is released, then update to the latest version of Debian. That may take a while.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre 3, raspberry pi 3