Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Question Is it possible to add metadata as a page in the book with a program ?

I want to add the metadata of a book, as the first page, because it is a bit difficult to turn an epub around and watch the back to see where the book is going about.
I can do this with Calibre but I find it a bit rude.
Sure I can open the book with sigil and add after the cover the info.
But is there a program ELSE then Calibre what can do this ?
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Hi,

my Calibre plugin does exactly what you want: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188619

Alternatively, there is a stand-alone version of the underlying library: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180065
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
Hi,

my Calibre plugin does exactly what you want: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188619

Alternatively, there is a stand-alone version of the underlying library: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180065
Tried it, but it seems to do nothing.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The following things might be an explanation:

0) not updated Calibre
1) your EPUB file does not validate or it has a DRM
2) your XHTML exlibris page has some problem (have you tried using one of the supplied samples?)
3) there is a bug in exlibris that your book triggers.

If the latter is the case, if you want you can send me the EPUB file so that I can look at it and maybe fix the library.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
Nick_1964
Bookworm

0= I did every time and it is 0.9.12
1= None of my books has DRM
2= There you understood me wrong
3= No

I ment: I have the metadata added to calibre, but it's not in the book, it is only the description in Calibre that I want to convert as a page to the book.
There are no exlibris pages in the book, there is no metadata in the Book, only in Calibre.

I try again: I want to add the details about the book, that I downloaded and added into Calibre like a catalog, and send the description to the book as a readable page.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I don't have the ex-libris plugin, so I am not sure what it does.

Calibre will do what you want during a conversion. It can add a "jacket" near the front of the book. I think it is put as the first page after the cover. For an ePub, the "Modify ePub" has an option to add the jacket without doing a conversion.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:04 AM   #7
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

Calibre will do what you want during a conversion. It can add a "jacket" near the front of the book. I think it is put as the first page after the cover. For an ePub, the "Modify ePub" has an option to add the jacket without doing a conversion.
I will look again, because with Calibre, whatever I shut off, converting epub to epub add blanc lines in some places, I have seen the Jacket option, but not without conversion, I will seach again, the Jacket looks perfect ( font is a little big).. but with conversion it change things so I have to find the option without conversion, thanks.

/edit that plugin works perfect, just never seen the "jacket" option, it does exactly what I want !! ( you have enough karma points but I added 100) only little problem that the title and things in Calibre looks different then in the book, I like that "logo" but in the book it's not a little picture but plain txt, but further.. Thanks !!

Last edited by Nick_1964; 01-03-2013 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Solution
Old 01-03-2013, 04:12 AM   #8
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
0= I did every time and it is 0.9.12
1= None of my books has DRM
2= There you understood me wrong
3= No

I ment: I have the metadata added to calibre, but it's not in the book, it is only the description in Calibre that I want to convert as a page to the book.
There are no exlibris pages in the book, there is no metadata in the Book, only in Calibre.

I try again: I want to add the details about the book, that I downloaded and added into Calibre like a catalog, and send the description to the book as a readable page.
With the exlibris plugin, you can access calibre metadata and replace them into an XHTML page you set up like this:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
    <title>EX LIBRIS</title>
</head>
<body> 
<h1>[%calibre-title%]</h1>
<h2>[%calibre-author%]</h2>
<p>[%calibre-comments%]</p>
</body>
</html>
Old 01-03-2013, 05:13 AM   #9
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
With the exlibris plugin, you can access calibre metadata and replace them into an XHTML page you set up like this:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
    <title>EX LIBRIS</title>
</head>
<body> 
<h1>[%calibre-title%]</h1>
<h2>[%calibre-author%]</h2>
<p>[%calibre-comments%]</p>
</body>
</html>
The above mentioned by davidfor plugin does it all, creates the jacket page, insert it, without manually set up a page, only "problem" is that the Sony doesn't show the graphical "sticker" with name and title but shows only the txt, I dont want to insult you but it is more easy.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #10
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

No problem, glad you find a solution to your needs.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:45 AM   #11
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
No problem, glad you find a solution to your needs.
I still keep yours to, thanks for the sportive reaction.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

And I remove all jackets using Modify ePub.. It's just a page I don't need and don't want. It takes me less time to dump the jacket then it does for you to add it. If I was going to give it out on the net, I'd first remove the jacket and then distribute.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #13
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And I remove all jackets using Modify ePub.. It's just a page I don't need and don't want. It takes me less time to dump the jacket then it does for you to add it. If I was going to give it out on the net, I'd first remove the jacket and then distribute.
So you can see the difference between users, I love the jacket because there is no way to turn an epub and read the back to see where the story is about, my only problem is that the sony devices don't show the jacket's the way they are displayed on the screen and for me whatever I do, If I use the conversion there are always blanc line's inserted,while I put those options off, with the plugin there are not. But bottom line is, we both use the plugin
I must say that in most Dutch books there is no jacket at all.
On my behalf I hate the justify and the ident things, I want my books lined on the left and no stretching.
And I noticed that the 64 bit version of calibre don't use the DRM plugin ( or don't use it properly since 0.9.12 ) so I had to switch back to the 32 bits version.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
whatever I do, If I use the conversion there are always blanc line's inserted,while I put those options off, with the plugin there are not. ...
And you select the "Remove spacing between paragraphs" in "Convert individually -> Look & Feel"?

Or are you finding blank lines inside paragraphs? (there's not much you can do about that converting from some formats, but it shouldn't be an issue converting from EPUB )
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote