Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
Can I create my own "Collection" Icon for the PW

I don't keep hundreds of books on my swell new Kindle Paperwhite at one time, so I enjoy the "Cover View" mode, even though its only in black and white, and does not look as nice as an iPad television ad. However, all of my "Collections" look the same, save for the Title Text.
Has anyone looked at creating a set of alternative designs for us to use so that not all collections look so similar?
My searching to date has not revealed any creative efforts toward this admirable goal, which remains completely overlooked by Amazon.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Err I think I saw a batman one maybe somewhere on here before...
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
@twobob the batman design was an interface change not having seperate icons for each collection. So changing the home icon, the light icon etc.

@SquiddOhio I've not seen anything which would allow that, in fact I've seen remarks somewhere which said it isn't possible, but I can't remember the reason given.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah yeah I found it really late last night (page 7ish of the threads) should have noted it. thnks.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquiddOhio View Post
I don't keep hundreds of books on my swell new Kindle Paperwhite at one time, so I enjoy the "Cover View" mode, even though its only in black and white, and does not look as nice as an iPad television ad. However, all of my "Collections" look the same, save for the Title Text.
Has anyone looked at creating a set of alternative designs for us to use so that not all collections look so similar?
My searching to date has not revealed any creative efforts toward this admirable goal, which remains completely overlooked by Amazon.
You could probably replace the "background" icon for collections - they would all have a different icon (different from "now"), but they'd still all have the same new icon with the collection name "on top". No, don't ask me where these icons are, go find them yourself

... If you really want to have distinct, user-defined icons for every collection, you're in for some MAJOR effort. It's not impossible - almost nothing is - , but it's going to be a LOT of work. Poke around in the obfuscated classes, find the place where the collections background image is loaded, and then produce a binary patch which replaces the logic, so that it loads some different image (possibly depending on the collection name, or some configuration file, etc.). A horrible amount of effort, for a minimal gain. (Of course, that's my personal opinion - feel free to do it if it's really important to you )
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Thanks to all for those posts. Fortunately, this is not very important to me at all, although the variety and the convenience would be a nice touch.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
sumpin
Enthusiast
sumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to behold

Device: down to just a PW4
I took up the challenge of @ixtab and was able to hack a different image than the default by doing the following:

I replaced icn_Collection.png in /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/app_utilities.jar with an image of my own that was also 216x330 24-bit PNG.

Heck, anything's better than the default images amazon provides!
sumpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur

Thank you.
I agree with sumpin that if it's considered "impossible," then that's just a challenge.
The image replacement suggested could be helpful to me, and although I know what a PNG image is, and how to size one, and even how to create one, I am lost about where to find the default image. I can't find anything like that on my Kindle, and I am looking at all the files and all the "hidden" folders (I think).
Could you give me another nudge in the right direction?
You may assume I have a PNG image of the correct size, and that I can give it any filename as needed - what do I do next?
Thanks.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
twobob

could be an embedded resource. next step: decompile sources and see what you find
Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #10
sumpin
Enthusiast
sumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to behold

Device: down to just a PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquiddOhio View Post
Thank you.
I agree with sumpin that if it's considered "impossible," then that's just a challenge.
The image replacement suggested could be helpful to me, and although I know what a PNG image is, and how to size one, and even how to create one, I am lost about where to find the default image. I can't find anything like that on my Kindle, and I am looking at all the files and all the "hidden" folders (I think).
Could you give me another nudge in the right direction?
You may assume I have a PNG image of the correct size, and that I can give it any filename as needed - what do I do next?
Thanks.
@squiddohio
FILE: icn_Collection.png
LOCATION: embedded within /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/app_utilities.jar
ACCESS VIA: jar (a *nix utility similar to tar)

As @twobob hinted, it's not a file you'll find using 'ls' or 'find'.

(By the way, there's another file in there with a similar name that's used for the icon when you pop up the edit/properties dialog for the book/collection on the Kindle. I identified which was which by putting different images-- at different resolutions, of course, thanks Amazon!-- in the jar file.)

Last edited by sumpin; 12-14-2012 at 07:26 AM.
sumpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #11
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur

Thanks.
I'll let you know if I have any success with new icons.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
centhena
Enthusiast
centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite
Hiya. I just found this thread and am also interested modifying the "Collection" Icon for my new paperwhite. It's horrible. Amazon's really letting me down with their lack of options for collections yet again...

To be sure I understand what's been found out so far:

Once my new Kindle is jailbroken I"ll be able to access it's files once in side the files i'll need to look for

"FILE: icn_Collection.png
LOCATION: embedded within /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/app_utilities.jar
ACCESS VIA: jar (a *nix utility similar to tar)"

So I'll have to play around with Java code to make changes. And the only thing I can change is the Collection image from what it is now to some other standard image, unless I want to go in a write a whole complicated bunch of code that will cause the program to seek out a different image depending on some collection specific data like the title perhaps. Then perhaps have a folder where collection cover images all go named after their collections to make life easy...

That really does sound like a lot of work. I'm fond enough of personalization to actually care enough to do this. I'm just not sure that my limited knowledge of Java is sufficient.
centhena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #13
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by centhena View Post
So I'll have to play around with Java code to make changes. And the only thing I can change is the Collection image from what it is now to some other standard image, unless I want to go in a write a whole complicated bunch of code that will cause the program to seek out a different image depending on some collection specific data like the title perhaps. Then perhaps have a folder where collection cover images all go named after their collections to make life easy...

That really does sound like a lot of work. I'm fond enough of personalization to actually care enough to do this. I'm just not sure that my limited knowledge of Java is sufficient.
If you are able to make sense of raw Java bytecode, and to write a patch for JBPatch, then it is (because that's exactly what you would have to do).

ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #14
centhena
Enthusiast
centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite
Hmmm... probably not.... knew I shouldn't have dropped my Java class lol

edit: hehe... class... sorry unintentional pun... hehe

Last edited by centhena; 12-27-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: to giggle at my unintentional pun...
centhena is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, paperwhite