Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
Books disappear from Kobo iPad app

Can anyone explain why my Kobo iPad app empties all my content when I tap ''Refresh''?
I am always signed in correctly. I have bookmarked my book and closed it. then tapped ''Refresh'' so when I open my Touch I can sync to where I got to on my iPad.
This has happened to me three times so far. The last time it wouldnt liven up the ''Download all'' arrow so I have re-installed the app.
I can't find anything about this in the Apple section or the Kobo section. I can't think what I am doing wrong but there must be something as no-one else is experiencing this issue.
Thanks for any clues.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
it's to do with the way iOS 5 manages memory and auto deletes app data

this might explain things a bit more

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&highlight=ios
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Thanks very much for that PaulSlater. The thread implies the problem is fixed but I am running the correct IOS and Kobo App 5.3. Yet I am experiencing the issue that has been fixed. Is it because of iCloud storage? That bit lost me.

Last edited by Orn8one; 03-13-2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

it's also lost me a bit, i have icloud but have the allow apps to use it turned off

From what I have seen on mine, it is a memory issue with iOS 5, when the device is running out of RAM it should auto close unused apps, for me this doesnt seem to work very well, so when the device runs out of RAM the kobo app crashes (other apps crash also) causing it to reload the library

the only way I have got mine to not keep crashing (been fine since beginning of the year)

double tap the home button (this shows all apps suspended, using minimal ram and are the ones the OS should close auto if more ram is needed)
press and hold one of them till they wiggle, then hit the minus against them (this fully closes the apps)

closing my apps this way has made my device for all apps much more stable, and very rarely get any issues

check settings->general-about->diagnostic & usage data->diagnostic and usage data

this shows the error reports, if you see a few about low memory this looks like the cause (if you look at them it shows which app crashed)
Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
lessthanyouthink
Connoisseur
lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad / iPhone / Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orn8one View Post
Can anyone explain why my Kobo iPad app empties all my content when I tap ''Refresh''?
I am always signed in correctly. I have bookmarked my book and closed it. then tapped ''Refresh'' so when I open my Touch I can sync to where I got to on my iPad.
This has happened to me three times so far. The last time it wouldnt liven up the ''Download all'' arrow so I have re-installed the app.
I can't find anything about this in the Apple section or the Kobo section. I can't think what I am doing wrong but there must be something as no-one else is experiencing this issue.
Thanks for any clues.
Hi Orn8one, it sounds like your issue is one we've fixed for our latest update, where refreshing your library while connected to an unstable network could result in your books disappearing. The update is going through App Store approval and should be live soon. Sorry about that!

– Charles
lessthanyouthink is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
paulsalter
Fanatic

sounds good getting an update, any other changes in the new version you can tell us about
Old 03-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
lessthanyouthink
Connoisseur
lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
sounds good getting an update, any other changes in the new version you can tell us about
Nothing I can really mention, but there are some good improvements included
Old 03-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
Orn8one
Groupie

Thank you PaulSalter. I am fairly sure my RAM is always ok. I use the ''home double tap etc'' and rarely have more than 4-6 apps open at one time. My iCloud back up is only 193MB. I am frugal! The latest KOBO crash report is as follows:
Incident Identifier: EE46EFB8-D410-47B5-B587-92236A00D1AE
CrashReporter Key: 5602edf9c7e2274d5567a534420d75da2b3cc606
Hardware Model: iPad2,1
Process: Kobo [3684]
Path: /var/mobile/Applications/F39646D1-16A6-46A1-B3AE-ADE69A93126E/Kobo.app/Kobo
Identifier: Kobo
Version: ??? (???)
Code Type: ARM (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [1]

Date/Time: 2012-03-12 11:51:40.343 +0400
OS Version: iPhone OS 5.0.1 (9A405)
Report Version: 104

Exception Type: 00000020
Exception Codes: 0x8badf00d
Highlighted Thread: 6

Application Specific Information:
Kobo[3684] has active assertions beyond permitted time:
{(
identifier: UIKitBackgroundCompletionTask process: Kobo[3684] permittedBackgroundDuration: 600.000000 reason: finishTask owner pid:3684 preventSuspend preventIdleSleep ,
identifier: UIKitBackgroundCompletionTask process: Kobo[3684] permittedBackgroundDuration: 600.000000 reason: finishTask owner pid:3684 preventSuspend preventIdleSleep ,
identifier: UIKitBackgroundCompletionTask process: Kobo[3684] permittedBackgroundDuration: 600.000000 reason: finishTask owner pid:3684 preventSuspend preventIdleSleep
)}
Which is not a language I speak! But the last 'Low Memory' crash was October 2011 so I hope my problem will be fixed in the update.

@ LessThanYouThink. Thank you Charles, your news is encouraging. It is possible I am on an unstable network as I am in a hotel. Though it seems stable. The other network where I have experienced these crashes is stable for sure. Strangely my husband's iPad has never had the 'Disappearing Kobo Library' until today. if you have any further thoughts please share them :-)
Old 03-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
lessthanyouthink
Connoisseur

Since it sounds like your issue is happening while the app is still running (and refreshing your library) it won't be memory or crash-related… let me know if you're still seeing it once the new update is available, but I think it will definitely clear it up .
Old 03-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
Orn8one
Groupie

Thank you, I hope so. We took the Kobo route because of the app and the sync option. You are quite right the books disappeared when I had finished reading, bookmarked and then 'tapped' REFRESH. They all shoot upwards on the screen as if they are being sucked away!
Old 03-14-2012, 05:04 AM   #11
paulsalter
Fanatic

not sure if it will make any difference to your issue, do a check for updates on your iOS

the above shows you are using 5.0.1, 5.1 was released last week
Old 03-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
Orn8one
Groupie

Thanks, I've got 5.1 waiting but thought it would be safer to do it when I am back beside my computer. Shouldn't be a problem I know but I am dependent on my iPad when away
:-)
Old 03-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orn8one View Post
Thanks for any clues.
Something quite similar happened to me today on the Kobo Android app:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172238
Never has happened before.
Just guessing: Maybe there's a limit of parallel activations?
On Kindle, lots of books only allow for 4 activations.
My issue only happened, when I installed the Kobo app on my newest tablet. Maybe one app too many?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:07 AM   #14
Orn8one
Groupie

One of the bright Kobo sparks will have to tell us!
Old 03-24-2012, 02:42 AM   #15
Orn8one
Groupie

My books all got sucked up again lat night.....any news on the app update? Although my Touch is behaving ok since the new firmware the sync is not working well especially if I change books. I only use books purchased from Kobo now as books I transferred from digital editions did not work very well and the format was very off. I didn't want to be tied by Kindle to Amazon now I have Kobo/Kobo! Ha ha that ideal backfired!

Tags
books disappear, ipad, kobo touch