Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-17-2007, 10:41 PM   #1
dwbryant2000
Enthusiast
dwbryant2000 began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150, Gen 3, BEBOOK, ILIAD BOOK READER
ebook files on reader

I noticed today when loading files on the Gen3 that the reader caused other files to be created. Does this mean you can remove some of them and how does this affect the memory requirements for storing ebooks. With only 64 mb available without a SD card (mine does not work) it makes a difference how many stories you have available for reading.

David
dwbryant2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:21 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Two files are created when you load a book. One is the "thumbnail image" which appears in the library; the other (the ".mpb" file) stores your current position in the book, bookmarks, etc. Both are very small and have no real impact on storage. You can delete them when you delete the book, but if the book is there and you delete them, they just get re-created.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
ashalan
Connoisseur
ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3
.t2b Files

As for the .t2b Files. Those are - as HarryT pointed out - the thumbnails files created and used by the CyBook.

If you have an eBook with no cover or the cover integrated in the eBook is not to your liking you could replace the .t2b file that belongs to the book in question with one you like better.

Because I had that need I tried to find information about the .t2b file format. Yet, I could not find anything and came to the conclusion that this must be some proprietary Bookeen format. Stubborn that I am this didn't hold me back however.

Hence I created this :
http://www.psynoptic.com/software/cy...mbcreator.html

Which you can download from here:
http://www.psynoptic.com/software/cy...umbcreator.zip

To run this little tool you need the .net 2.0 Framework installed on your computer. If any Linux or Mac User is interested, I might take the time to check if this also works with the Mono Framework and / or compile it against the mono framework if I find the time.

(Almost goes without saying: this little piece of software is free, is provided as is, and I can guarantee for nothing but that it is free of mal- or spyware)

Cheers,

ashalan
ashalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashalan View Post
As for the .t2b Files. Those are - as HarryT pointed out - the thumbnails files created and used by the CyBook.

If you have an eBook with no cover or the cover integrated in the eBook is not to your liking you could replace the .t2b file that belongs to the book in question with one you like better.

Because I had that need I tried to find information about the .t2b file format. Yet, I could not find anything and came to the conclusion that this must be some proprietary Bookeen format. Stubborn that I am this didn't hold me back however.

Hence I created this :
http://www.psynoptic.com/software/cy...mbcreator.html

Which you can download from here:
http://www.psynoptic.com/software/cy...umbcreator.zip

To run this little tool you need the .net 2.0 Framework installed on your computer. If any Linux or Mac User is interested, I might take the time to check if this also works with the Mono Framework and / or compile it against the mono framework if I find the time.

(Almost goes without saying: this little piece of software is free, is provided as is, and I can guarantee for nothing but that it is free of mal- or spyware)

Cheers,

ashalan
Rather nifty piece of software. Now I can resize without having to crank up Photoshop!!!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:41 AM   #5
Danny Fekete
Electronic Education Buff
Danny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, iRex DR1000s, Sony Reader PRS 650
Thanks very much, Ashalan! This is lovely.
Danny Fekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
If there are no images in the book then you can create a new record and place an image there. This image will then be used as the thumnbail image. I am planning to add this functionality to a script "mobi2mobi" that i am writing (part of mobiperl). this script will also be able to edit meta information in MobiPocket books and add meta information to PalmDOC books (a lot of books for MobiPocket seems to actually be PalmDOC books) by converting them to MobiPocket books.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:03 PM   #7
ashalan
Connoisseur
ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
If there are no images in the book then you can create a new record and place an image there. This image will then be used as the thumnbail image.
Not quite sure what you mean by 'new record' to be honest

Quote:
I am planning to add this functionality to a script "mobi2mobi" that i am writing (part of mobiperl). this script will also be able to edit meta information in MobiPocket books and add meta information to PalmDOC books (a lot of books for MobiPocket seems to actually be PalmDOC books) by converting them to MobiPocket books.
Excellent!

Last edited by ashalan; 12-19-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashalan View Post
Not quite sure what you mean by 'new record' to be honest
The PalmDOC and MobiPocket format conists of records. A lot of records containg the HTML file and then a sequence of records containing images with one image per record.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
The PalmDOC and MobiPocket format conists of records. A lot of records containg the HTML file and then a sequence of records containing images with one image per record.
PalmDoc does not support images at all. MobiPocket and PalmDoc have 4K blocks of data prior to compression which I assume you are calling records. But images can be up to 64K and are completely different blocks compressed differently and different sizes. The Palm format is a database format for all files, not just eBooks and the format of the various blocks is up to the using program.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:38 PM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
PalmDoc does not support images at all. MobiPocket and PalmDoc have 4K blocks of data prior to compression which I assume you are calling records. But images can be up to 64K and are completely different blocks compressed differently and different sizes. The Palm format is a database format for all files, not just eBooks and the format of the various blocks is up to the using program.
Since the books created by BD and uploaded here are PalmDOC books it can easily be seen that they support images. What I call PalmDOC is files where creator ID is REAd and the type is TEXt. For a MobiPocket file they are MOBI and BOOK.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:58 PM   #11
ashalan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Ah, I see. Not that easy to add a record to a MobiPocket file with the software currently available, or?
Old 12-20-2007, 12:11 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Since the books created by BD and uploaded here are PalmDOC books it can easily be seen that they support images. What I call PalmDOC is files where creator ID is REAd and the type is TEXt. For a MobiPocket file they are MOBI and BOOK.
BD is mis-applying the ID. Real TEXt files have no such ability. If you try one of those files on a reader that only supports PalmDOC files it will likely crash.

Dale
Old 12-20-2007, 01:39 PM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
BD is mis-applying the ID. Real TEXt files have no such ability. If you try one of those files on a reader that only supports PalmDOC files it will likely crash.
Wouldn't surprise me. But Eric Flint's Ring of Fire from Baen is the same so maybe they have used BD also. What should I then call these files? I need to distinguish between files where you can have meta information in the header and other files that are read by a MobiPocket reader.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:45 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Wouldn't surprise me. But Eric Flint's Ring of Fire from Baen is the same so maybe they have used BD also. What should I then call these files? I need to distinguish between files where you can have meta information in the header and other files that are read by a MobiPocket reader.
Interesting question. I have a PDB wiki entry that shows all of the files and what they are called. Perhaps, for this kind of thing a new entry is appropriate specifying the source program.

Dale
Old 12-28-2007, 02:23 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Baen calls its .prc files MobiPocket/Palm/Kindle compatible. I think this means that a PalmDOC reader will just see the text, but MobiPocket/Kindle also sees the images (which are at the end of the file). It was naughty of MobiPocket to continue to label this extended format REAdTEXt, but perhaps they needed to do so for PalmDOC readers to work. The more recent MOBI formats are labeled BOOKMOBI and have more metadata, but they are presumably not PalmDOC compatible.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote