Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-15-2018, 12:50 AM   #1
phiro
phiro began at the beginning.

Device: IPhone
Simple script for cleaning Calibre office empty folders

I had a lot of empty folders after a while when using Calibre over many upgrades. The folders only had the cover and the calibre library files. So there were a lot of books in the library with no content.
I made a script to remove these entries and then refreshed/repaired the database from Calibre. For this interested this is the script at https://github.com/phiroict/calibre-ebook-cleaner

Have fun!
phiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:05 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It is HIGHLY discouraged, to use any other method to Delete or clean a Calibre Library.

If you are ending up with unintended 'empty books' (Some of us create those to document our Paper Library), then your process is incorrect.

Calibre cleans up old News (if configured),

All other corruption is caused by OTHER programs interfering with file/folder operations. Most common culprits: CLOUD sync of the Library while Calibre is running. Over active, A/V scans is a close second
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2018, 02:08 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you think you have empty folders in the Calibre library that should not be there then the correct way to proceed is to run the Calibre Library Maintenance option. This can identify mismatches between the Calibre metadata database and the associated file system.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:22 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Would not a simple format:false in the calibre search bar and then deleting the selected books have the same effect without taking chances on modifying the calibre library from outside calibre?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:59 AM   #5
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
You will find with this method only records with no format files but not out of sync folders and files (because calibre maybe hadn't recognize manual manipulations from outside). In this case I would suggest the maintenance tool too.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2018, 01:09 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Would not a simple format:false in the calibre search bar and then deleting the selected books have the same effect without taking chances on modifying the calibre library from outside calibre?
As the other Duck points out: That uses what Calibre knows were 'empty books' (and won't find those in never knew about)
Run Library Maintenance: Fix ALL issues (Some fixes include using the OS to move unknown files and folders out of the Library so they can later be added the traditional Calibre way)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:32 PM   #7
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
If you have empty folders then you may have orphan books as well. Non-empty folders that calibre has lost track of. This can be caused by having the calibre library on a Linux pc or nas and accessing it from a windows computer over the network. Or mixing case sensitivity / not case sensitivity in some other way. It may slowly corrupt the database and cause calibre to loose track of files and folders.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:39 PM   #8
phiro
phiro began at the beginning.

Device: IPhone
Hi all, thanks for all the feedback!
Most of these library actions from Calibre I had tried to use before with no success. Adoby's response was close to my own situation (There was sharing of a linux based NAS with windows machines) so that may have caused my original problem. The ebook directory is many years and versions old and that may have added to the issues as well. The script resolved it for me. But if internal tools would remedy it better, I'd certainly try that first.
phiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@phiro - my suggestion is you (and everyone else) should run the Check Library option periodically (e.g. weekly, monthly, quarterly, whatever). Check Library is also an option for the calibredb command, it outputs to a CSV.

I do it as part if my 'weekly housekeeping'. If it reports anything, then while I'm fixing the problem I'll probably recall how I created the problem, which acts as a timely reminder to 'stop doing that'

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-15-2018 at 08:44 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:53 AM   #10
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
An other way you can force those problems is with automatic import via folder and a wrong setting how to generate metadata with mass imports. In case you set up metadata read by book content rather than file name and in addition a not so good setup for adding books, you sometimes can come in trouble if metadata are not available or scrap (saw this mostly in combination with PDF formats). If I use this way, I often change the behavior to generate a title from the file name as these are more likely unique (in my use cases) and better in handling especially with automated unsupervised background tasks.

As was mentioned, a bit regular housekeeping is always a very good idea to keep everything smooth with no surprises.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, library, python, utility