Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
London Rain
London Rain began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Cover thumbnails for Kindle not being generated

Hi,

I wondered why some of my books transfered to my Kindle Paperwhite showed no covers on the device but most did.

I use Calibre's send to device feature (via USB) and as format I always chose AZW3. I also made sure that the "Enable sharing of book content option" is ticked for mobi and AZW3.

As far as I understand the user manual Calibre should then create a cover image thumbnail and place it into the Kindle's system\thumbnails folder.

See: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...droid-ipad-etc

However during the sending of the file sometimes no new image file is being generated in the Kindle's thumbnails folder. For most books a new thumbnail is placed there and the Kindle shows the cover correctly.

Any ideas on this? Any logging I could enable to investigate?

I'm using the latest version of Calibre.

Tim
London Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:45 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can run calibre in debug mode (right click the rpeferences button and choose start in debug mode) that should have logging about why thumbnail generation failed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #3
London Rain

I've compared a debug log of a book where the thumbnail was generated with one where it wasn't. The only difference I can spot is the usage of an ASIN that looks like a GUID.

Please see both logs here.

No cover generated:
Quote:
Job: 4 Ein Buch auf das Gerät hochladen: Wolkenschloss started
Device using plugboard azw3 KINDLE2 [[u'{series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}', u'title']]
Setting metadata in: Wolkenschloss at: C:\Users\TIMDIE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_h5tg6 x\4ba3iycaltmpfmt.azw3
DEBUG: 41.4 USBMS: uploading 1 books
C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\app\pylib.zip\dateutil\parser.py:60 1: UnicodeWarning: Unicode equal comparison failed to convert both arguments to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal
APNX META: guid: 4adebe5f
APNX META: ASIN:
APNX META: CDE: EBOK
APNX META: format: MOBI_8
APNX META: Name: Wolkenschloss
APNX Content Header: {"contentGuid":"4adebe5f","asin":"","cdeType":"EBO K","format":"MOBI_8","fileRevisionId":"1","acr":"W olkenschloss"}
DEBUG: 42.4 USBMS: finished uploading 1 books
DeviceJob: 4 Ein Buch auf das Gerät hochladen: Wolkenschloss done, calling callback
DEBUG: 42.4 USBMS: adding metadata for 1 books
DEBUG: 42.4 USBMS: finished adding metadata
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library: books to process= 80
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library finished: time= 0.0019998550415
DeviceJob: 4 Ein Buch auf das Gerät hochladen: Wolkenschloss callback returned
Job: 5 Metadaten zum Gerät senden started
DEBUG: 42.7 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
Job: 4 Ein Buch auf das Gerät hochladen: Wolkenschloss finished
Keine Details verfügbar.
DEBUG: 43.4 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DeviceJob: 5 Metadaten zum Gerät senden done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 5 Metadaten zum Gerät senden callback returned
Job: 5 Metadaten zum Gerät senden finished
Keine Details verfügbar.
Cover generated:
Quote:
Job: 4 Ein Buch auf das Gerät hochladen: Die Flüsse von London started
Device using plugboard azw3 KINDLE2 [[u'{series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}', u'title']]
Setting metadata in: Die Flüsse von London at: C:\Users\TIMDIE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_7vbhv u\z0butbcaltmpfmt.azw3
DEBUG: 7.1 USBMS: uploading 1 books
C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\app\pylib.zip\dateutil\parser.py:60 1: UnicodeWarning: Unicode equal comparison failed to convert both arguments to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal
APNX META: guid: bccdfa7f
APNX META: ASIN: 200f22d1-32c9-4d7d-9f87-5c4a8a08ebe7
APNX META: CDE: EBOK
APNX META: format: MOBI_8
APNX META: Name: Die_Flusse_von_London
APNX Content Header: {"contentGuid":"bccdfa7f","asin":"200f22d1-32c9-4d7d-9f87-5c4a8a08ebe7","cdeType":"EBOK","format":"MOBI_8","fileRevision Id":"1","acr":"Die_Flusse_von_London"}
DEBUG: 7.9 USBMS: finished uploading 1 books
DeviceJob: 4 Ein Buch auf das Gerät hochladen: Die Flüsse von London done, calling callback
DEBUG: 7.9 USBMS: adding metadata for 1 books
DEBUG: 7.9 USBMS: finished adding metadata
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library: books to process= 80
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library finished: time= 0.00300002098083
DeviceJob: 4 Ein Buch auf das Gerät hochladen: Die Flüsse von London callback returned
Job: 5 Metadaten zum Gerät senden started
DEBUG: 8.1 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
DEBUG: 8.8 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DeviceJob: 5 Metadaten zum Gerät senden done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 5 Metadaten zum Gerät senden callback returned
Job: 4 Ein Buch auf das Gerät hochladen: Die Flüsse von London finished
Keine Details verfügbar.
Job: 5 Metadaten zum Gerät senden finished
Keine Details verfügbar.
Edit:
The GUID I marked red also seems to be the crucial part of the cover thumbnail file name. So it seems to be needed to do a match between the book's meta data ASIN and the cover image filename? But why is it being ommited in the first case?

Last edited by London Rain; 09-12-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Do a mobi to mobi conversion and you will be fine. The conversion will insert an asin for you.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #5
London Rain

Currently I only have an EPUB version of that book. And shouldn't it generate a random GUID ASIN if it is being converted to AZW3 and "Enable sharing of book content option" is checked in AZW3 conversion options?
Advert
Old 09-12-2018, 12:49 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Rain View Post
Currently I only have an EPUB version of that book. And shouldn't it generate a random GUID ASIN if it is being converted to AZW3 and "Enable sharing of book content option" is checked in AZW3 conversion options?
NO , you are confusing that with UUID
ASIN is an Amazon assigned (catalog) number
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #7
London Rain

Ah, thanks!

So in short: For the mechanism to generate a matching thumbnail cover to work, it's absolutely mandatory to have an ASIN in the book's metadata? Is there a way to search for books without one?
Old 09-12-2018, 02:05 PM   #8
sammayor
Enthusiast
sammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trolls

Device: KPW3
The Quality Check plugin can find missing ASIN in mobi files.
It also has Fix option for adding ASIN to the mobi files.
sammayor is offline   Reply With Quote