Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-26-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
jbusnengo
jbusnengo began at the beginning.

Device: multiple (Windows laptop/Android phone)
Change in 'Narrow' Layout

Hello. I've been using calibre for many years and love it. Thank you for all the hard work you put into it. A change in this week's v3.7 release, however, has me a bit flummoxed. The change log lists "Narrow layout: Fix wasted space to the left of the comments in the Book details panel."

In prior versions, the book details panel had a nice, consistent look. The comments for each book had a consistent left margin, which was in the same place for each book. While there was a lot of unused space, I'd hesitate to call it wasted, as it allowed for a clean, well-organized look.

In the new version, the book details panel is much less consistent. There are three things that strike me unpleasantly about the new layout.
  1. The left margin of the comments section varies by book, so that when moving from book to book, the eye is unwittingly drawn to the more drastic change below.
  2. Despite the stated goal of eliminating "wasted" space, the amount of empty space between the other metadata and the comments varies significantly.
  3. If the comments are long enough to extend below the other metadata, the following lines are at the left margin of the panel, rather than aligned with the beginning of the comments.
Please see my attached screen captures for examples.

This has all led to a couple of questions on my part:
  1. Why is it that the "Narrow" user interface layout has a wide book details panel while the "Wide" layout has a narrow panel? Is there some other distinction I'm missing?
  2. Is there any way for me to revert my layout to the pre-3.7 behavior? If not, would you consider adding either a tweak or a checkbox or even a third option in the layout list?
Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SwofSh.png
Views:	140
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	158687   Click image for larger version

Name:	UplWar.png
Views:	131
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	158688   Click image for larger version

Name:	WardMan.png
Views:	147
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	158689  
jbusnengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbusnengo View Post
[ . . . ]
In prior versions, the book details panel had a nice, consistent look. The comments for each book had a consistent left margin, which was in the same place for each book. While there was a lot of unused space, I'd hesitate to call it wasted, as it allowed for a clean, well-organized look.
Not necessarily, if you have empty metadata columns, or the width of the data varies, the result could be just as apparently haphazard as it is now, especially if the wide values could only be viewed by clicking the scroll bar.

[ . . . ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbusnengo View Post
This has all led to a couple of questions on my part:
  1. Why is it that the "Narrow" user interface layout has a wide book details panel while the "Wide" layout has a narrow panel? Is there some other distinction I'm missing?
  2. Is there any way for me to revert my layout to the pre-3.7 behavior? If not, would you consider adding either a tweak or a checkbox or even a third option in the layout list?
1. The values 'Narrow' and 'Wide' reflect the target screen size rather than the size of the Book Details panel. Flummoxed me when i first saw it.

2. If there are to be further changes, my preferred 'Third Way' would be to have three equal size zones. The leftmost and centre zones would contain metadata columns that have their 'headings on the left', having two zones would allow more columns to be displayed without having to scroll. The right most zone would be reserved for 'long text custom columns with heading on top' followed by Comments.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2017, 01:36 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1. Considering that the entire cover changes (with animation) when you move from book to book, I dont see how the left margin chaning is a more drastic change. Your eye is just drawn to it because it is new, you will get used to it in a few days.

2. No the amount of space is always exactly the same. It just looks different because there is some extra wide metadata field pushing the comments to the right, which you will see when you scroll down.

3. Yes, that is part of eliminating wasted space. The non comments fields are now floated, so the long comments text wraps around them.

1. Wide and narrow refer to the kind of screen the *layout* is optimized for. The setting is to control the calibre window layout, not only the book details panel

2. No, this is not user configurable.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 08-27-2017 at 01:42 AM.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:44 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh and I should add, I have no problem with creating a setting to control how the text is laid out in the book details field. However, it's going to have to wait as I have currently injured my wrist, so i am taking a break from excessive keyboarding.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:29 AM   #5
jbusnengo

Thanks for the prompt reply! I hope your wrist heals quickly, and not only because I'm looking forward to that setting you mentioned.
Advert
Old 08-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Oh and I should add, I have no problem with creating a setting to control how the text is laid out in the book details field. However, it's going to have to wait as I have currently injured my wrist, so i am taking a break from excessive keyboarding.
Take care of yourself. Features can wait until you can do them without permanent injury.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I hope it heals soon, take care of yourself.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:12 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I have currently injured my wrist, so i am taking a break from excessive keyboarding.
Ouch - guess you won't be opening the bowling then. Hope you're not effected by the floods.

Bangladesh beat Australia, can we blame global warming for that too

Take care BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:58 AM   #9
jbusnengo

Thanks for adding this option! I hope the release of this new version also means that your wrist is better.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You're welcome, yeah it's better, I am ramping up my keyboard usage slowly.