Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-11-2014, 11:19 PM   #196
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluejar View Post
soondai,

When ADE4 recognizes an ereader device connected to the computer, that's when it reports its ebooks.

Eric
Does ADE4 have to be open/running on your desktop? Is it always running in the background as a service?
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #197
bobstro
Zealot
bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014,Hisense Sero Pro 7,Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Kumabjorn,

Not original to me, but setting the title to:
Moby Dick"); DROP DATABASE;
is the appropriate thing to do.
Ah, little Bobby Droptables must be reading ebooks now! Awesome.
bobstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #198
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
Does ADE4 have to be open/running on your desktop? Is it always running in the background as a service?
I don't think ADE runs as a service, daemon, or background process when the application is not in actual use. Someone else can correct me if I am wrong about that.

It does it's dirty work while it is looking you in the eyes.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #199
gluejar
Ungluer-in-Chief
gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: all (Marvin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
you mean if you connect you device to you computer while ADE4 isn't running, then later run ADE4 while the device is not connected, what happens? The experiment hasn't been done, but it would require that ADE4 at some point has recognized the device and its ebook library on your computer. So, I don't know.
gluejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #200
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Is it an accurate assumption that Sony Reader for PC's ADE folder is the same as Digital Editions?

I only use Sony Reader for PC to download all epubs (incl Library ebooks), but I also have Digital Editions on my PC (v2) which I rarely open and don't use. (Sony Reader is ADE activated).
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #201
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud of

Quote:
you mean if you connect you device to you computer while ADE4 isn't running, then later run ADE4 while the device is not connected, what happens? The experiment hasn't been done, but it would require that ADE4 at some point has recognized the device and its ebook library on your computer. So, I don't know.
I'm just trying to figure out if some part of ADE4 is running in the background at all times. I hope not!
Old 10-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #202
Phil_C
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Is it an accurate assumption that Sony Reader for PC's ADE folder is the same as Digital Editions?

I only use Sony Reader for PC to download all epubs (incl Library ebooks), but I also have Digital Editions on my PC (v2) which I rarely open and don't use. (Sony Reader is ADE activated).
This is my situation and I have the same question. Can ADE phone home when Sony Reader for PC is running on my computer?

Also: Once the Sony Reader is authorized, what happens when wireless is turned on (but the Reader is not physically connected to a computer)? Is some part of ADE running on the Reader that will send information home to Adobe?
Old 10-12-2014, 10:09 PM   #203
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post

No. Downloads through Sony Reader Library are placed in My Documents\My Books\Reader Library. Downloads through ADE are placed in My Documents\My Digital Editions.

I also use only Sony's software to download my library books, and at least for now until I start running into epub3 books, it works perfectly and avoids having to use ADE3.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:01 PM   #204
gluejar
Ungluer-in-Chief
gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: all (Marvin)
Micah Bowers, whose company makes the Bluefire Reader, has some good suggestions on transferring files to tethered readers in a comment on Bill Rosenblatt's "Copyright and Technology" blog. http://copyrightandtechnology.com/20...-it-about-drm/
gluejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #205
DESiegel60
DESiegel60 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
In the United States, it comes from the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution. Specifically, "The right of the People to be secure in their persons, houses, papers and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures."
Also, many US states have established privacy protections either by statute or by court decision (common law). These typically permit civil suits for invasions of privacy by non-government entities. The scope of protection varies greatly from state to state, but such things as "Disclosure of private facts" are grounds for suit in some states. Whether a log of books read would be protected is up for grabs until someone sues.

The various US constitutional protections would not apply as they restrict federal and in most cases state governments, but not private companies or individuals.

The laws of other countries would be different. The EU has some fairly strict laws about data protection. I don't know if they would apply to this sort of situation.
DESiegel60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:04 AM   #206
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Adobe Updates Digital Edition, Stops Sharing User Info With the Internet
Quote:
Adobe rolled out a new update for their Digital Editions Epub app today, and I have good news, bad news, and okay news.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #207
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ Thanks for sharing.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote