Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-31-2023, 10:52 PM   #1
chongjasmine
Connoisseur
chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Cheap tablets with long battery life.... (Recommend)

Can someone recommend me some cheap tablets with long battery life? My budget is maximum US$100 or slightly more.
Tell me roughly what is the battery life for the recommended tablet...
for streaming videos alone?
for reading ebooks alone?
for general purpose?

And what price and where can I buy it. Thanks.
chongjasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 01:59 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
A few questions come to mind. Such as where in the world are you located which will strongly influence any recommendations.

From your price, you seem to be looking for a cheap commodity Android or ChromeOS tablet so you have a wide choice. You don't mention screen size and resolution, internal storage, type of USB connection, WiFi (2.4Ghz, 5GHz, 6Ghz), Bluetooth, speaker connection (are you looking for a Bluetooth, 3.5mm audio jack, built-in speaker).

You might want to take a look at amazon.com, search on tablet, select price ranger $50-100 and sort price high to low or select price $100-200 and sort on price low to high which will give you a large selection of almost identical tablets.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2024, 02:22 AM   #3
chongjasmine
Connoisseur
chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi, I am from Singapore. I only need long battery life and the ability to read ebooks and watch videos and use logos bible software app from google play. The rest don't matter.
Old 01-01-2024, 02:33 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In which case, choose any commodity Android tablet at your price point. Please note that for watching videos and reading ebooks, I would recommend a 1920x1080/1980x1200 display. I find the 1024x600 or 1280x800 screens such as the Amazon Fire 7/8 tablets use are too hard on my eyes to do much reading or watching videos.
Old 01-01-2024, 02:49 AM   #5
chongjasmine
Connoisseur

Help me choose between these 5...

After some considerations, I had narrowed down my tablet search to these 5 choices.

Lenovo Tab M8
Amazon Fire HD8
Samsung Galaxy Tab A8
Lenovo Tab M9
Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 lite

I am looking for long battery life to use with my logos bible app from google play to read their ebooks and maybe once in awhile, watch videos.

Which do you recommend I get?
Advert
Old 01-01-2024, 04:17 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist

• Lenovo Tab M8 - Price fits with your ~$100, battery life rated at 16 hours 1280x800
  • Amazon Fire HD8 - Price fits, battery rated at 13 hours. 1280x800
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 - This seems to be a 10.5" 1920x1200 screen. Battery life is rated at ~6 hours. Most of the prices I saw were well over your price point.
  • Lenovo Tab M9 - just a bit pricier than the Tab M8, battery life rated at 13 hours. 1340x800 (a rather odd number)
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 lite - 1920x1080 display, battery life is rated at 10 hours. Comes close to your price point and the best display resolution of the ones in your range.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are also almost always sales on most of these devices. A couple of years back, I replaced my Google Nexus 7 (2013) with the Lenovo Tab M8 FHD (1920x1200 display) when it was on sale for $120 Cdn from Lenovo's direct sales. Sadly, I was watching a training video on the patio and when my neighbour stopped to chat, his dog got bored and chomped on my Nexus 7. The display was never the same afterwards prompting the replacement.

Another item to remember is that most Android tablets do not get much OS support. Plan on at most 1 OS upgrade (Android 11 => Android 12).
Old 01-01-2024, 07:29 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Another item to remember is that most Android tablets do not get much OS support. Plan on at most 1 OS upgrade (Android 11 => Android 12).
Most Android tablets and phones seem to get zero OS support.
In maybe 10 years only the Oppo phone got any updates (security, not Android main version) and my Lenovo (Maybe a Tab10?) actually got an Android version update the day I got it. Nothing since. It's the 10″ one that has a round bulge with a small stand and speakers at the ends of the cylindrical part. I think it's batteries? Massive battery life and best sound on built-in speakers of any tablet, phone or laptop in 25 years. The Lenovo was about €200. I have a 256 Gbyte micro SD card in it and there is a version that works also as giant 10″ phone with SIM slot beside the SD card under the door beside rear camera. It's the best tablet I've had. Had 2 other 10″, and 4 smaller ones. Firefox works better than on an Atom laptop.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 07:08 PM   #8
Dsharma
Enthusiast
Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If your budget is around $100, you might want to consider the Amazon Fire HD 8 or the Lenovo Tab M8. Both offer decent battery life, around 10 hours for streaming videos, even more for reading ebooks, and general use.
I got my mom a Samsung Galaxy tablet for her movie-watching, and she loves it.
Dsharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 07:01 AM   #9
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
iPlay 50 mini maybe?

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesa...blet&pr=77-111
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 09:08 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsharma View Post
If your budget is around $100, you might want to consider the Amazon Fire HD 8 or the Lenovo Tab M8. Both offer decent battery life, around 10 hours for streaming videos, even more for reading ebooks, and general use.
I got my mom a Samsung Galaxy tablet for her movie-watching, and she loves it.
The Fire Models use the Amazon store, and while the Google Playstore can usually be added, they may not be completely compatible. They are though often at a very low profit margin as Amazon plans on selling you their content.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 01:09 PM   #11
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I own an older model Tab M8. I find it makes for a fantastic on-the-go tablet for e-reading and navigation (the GPS module on the M8's system-on-a-chip is actually really good.)

Haven't really used it for video. Makes a great Discord client for when I'm gaming online though when used with an earbuds/mic combo.

The current M8 model is on sale here in Canada, and is basically superior to mine in almost every way.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote