Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
sonician
sonician began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Angry Two KOBOs, two fails.

I'm posting this in hopes that someone can provide me with some ideas.

I pre-ordered my Kobo and since day 1 have had zero problems with mine. The firmware upgraded fine and addressed many of my concerns (PDF rescaling not withstanding)

My girlfried however, on my recommendation, has now gone through two of the newer Black devices, and has had nothing but problems with them.

The first one had the updated firmware, and when she brought it home, the USB cable was defective and wouldn't charge/connect the unit to her computer. A different cable worked fine. The device freezes upon startup almost every time, where she has to reset it with a paperclip/earring from a powered off state. I tried removing all the books (no SD card, device memory only), and updating the firmware again, but it was the same issue.

So we took it back to Chapters, and she exchanged it for a new one. She took it home, charged it up, and within the first couple of uses, it started to freeze up again! Just like the first one. She also discovered last night that after about 60 page turns, the battery was completely dead, and she had the message about requiring a re-charge.

I'm not sure what else to say or try at this point. She's pretty much decided to take it back, get a refund, and move onto a different device. (like the Sony ones).

Any thoughts on this? I tried the epub files she had on her device, on mine, and it works just fine, so its not the books she's reading.

Thanks...
sonician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Maybe some of the black ones have defects? Maybe try a white one?
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Is she plugging it in to a USB hub? Or directly into her computer? And if directly into her computer, has she tried other USB ports?

You see what I am getting at. Even some "powered" hubs are weird for some USB devices. Some devices are really particular 'bout where they're inserted.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote