Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-29-2019, 07:04 AM   #91
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
My Nook Glowlight Plus definitely goes much further into orange at max night mode then my Kobo Forma. Since the purpose is filtering out blue light, I think being able to go more orange is a good thing. And you can still set it at a papery yellow if that's what you prefer.

Personally I find 7.8-8" to be the perfect balance between screen size and portability. Just small enough to still fit in my purse. Whereas, my 9.7 inch iPad doesn't. Also the Nook and the Kobo are easier to hold. So I have always have one or the other of them with me, and the slippery Oasis is the one that stays home.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:46 PM   #92
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
The point is, its color range is majoritively orange. That's fine if you prefer orange lighting most of the time but not everyone does. For me, a stone white or amber is ideal.
Nothing says that you have to move the slider into that range. Other people might want that orange tone and will appreciate being able to reach it.

Quote:
I don't mind a light orange hue but I don't want to be locked into orange all of the time either.
Again, having the capability does not mean you have to use it. Or are you stating the moving the colour temperature slider off zero turns the screen orange immediately.

Quote:
Well obviously a 7" screen will look smaller next to a 7.8" with huge bezels. I think the Oasis strikes a good balance between size and portability. Anything larger would have to be relegated to home use only.
I've used my Aura One as my main ereader for years now and have had no issues carrying it with me. My Forma was larger due to the bezel with the buttons but my wife has no issue with carrying it around. I suppose it would be more correct to say that it is now her ereader as I have no real expectations of having it returned.

And I was not referring to the bezels but to the screen side. 25% larger is very noticeable.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2019, 06:17 AM   #93
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Exclamation A new problem with the battery

Oasis 3 = Oasis 2.1

The new Kindle Oasis is not worthy of bearing the name Oasis 3.
In reality, it's just an internal micro upgrade.

After the first tests of Oasis 3, I am disappointed again. Because it has the same problem with the battery..

- Really great disappointment
- After the first tests of Kindle Oasis 3, the problem with the battery life persists.
- Due to battery problems, I also sold my previous Oasis 2.. I waited for another model (Oasis 3) but it has the same problem with the battery.

On AMAZON (Oasis 2), each second comment is negative due to battery life.
So why did Amazon make the same mistake with Oasis 3 ?

The new Oasis 3 had to develop some asshole. A purely commercial / marketing strategy.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 07-21-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #94
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
Oasis 3 = Oasis 2.1

The new Kindle Oasis is not worthy of bearing the name Oasis 3.
In reality, it's just an internal micro upgrade.

After the first tests of Oasis 3, I am disappointed again. Because it has the same problem with the battery..

- Really great disappointment
- After the first tests of Kindle Oasis 3, the problem with the battery life persists.
- Due to battery problems, I also sold my previous Oasis 2.. I waited for another model (Oasis 3) but it has the same problem with the battery.

The new Oasis 3 had to develop some asshole. A purely commercial / marketing strategy.
That is unfortunate. I think many are waiting for reviews on it...... I agree. It's just a refresh. I bet they have something else coming.out at end of year....
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #95
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
I bet they have something else coming.out at end of year....
- I'd be glad if you were right
- I'd like to go back to kindle, but for the time being, nothing has convinced me.
- I'm not a fan of innovation, I just expect something quality and functional. Sometimes I say if the premium products make any sense.
- Do I get something when I pay for a PREMIUM product? Or just to show off to others and say "look, I have a premium product"

* To pay extra for AMAZON printing on the reader? Like this when you read somewhere in the park, you doing free AMAZON advertising :-D

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 07-21-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #96
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
- I'd be glad if you were right
- I'd like to go back to kindle, but for the time being, nothing has convinced me.
- I'm not a fan of innovation, I just expect something quality and functional. Sometimes I say if the premium products make any sense.
- Do I get something when I pay for a PREMIUM product? Or just to show off to others and say "look, I have a premium product"

* To pay extra for AMAZON printing on the reader? Like this when you read somewhere in the park, you doing free AMAZON advertising :-D

I like the advertising displayed on the Kindle. I think it looks pretty neat. I also have to admit that I like showing off my Kindle and (for example) my McIntosh Integrated amplifier. I guess different people like different things. For example, I can't stand white rice, but almost all Peruvians eat rice. (I've met maybe 2 or 3 Peruvians who don't like rice, but they're definitely in the minority.) I also love (that's L-O-V-E) innovation. Without innovation, we'd all be reading ebooks by candlelight, because there wouldn't be any light bulbs. And perhaps no ebook reader! Yikes!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #97
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I also love (that's L-O-V-E) innovation. Without innovation, we'd all be reading ebooks by candlelight, because there wouldn't be any light bulbs. And perhaps no ebook reader! Yikes!
No books at all. And no speech. We'd all just grunt and howl still.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #98
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post

Time to watch Deliverance again!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:57 PM   #99
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That sounds like my ex wife! Stuck in the Jurassic era for sure.
cerem0ny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:48 PM   #100
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
[SIZE="4"]
can you elaborate on the battery life of your kindle oasis 2? i read about 30-45 minutes a day and i don't have to charge it for at least 2 weeks.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:52 PM   #101
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
can you elaborate on the battery life of your kindle oasis 2? i read about 30-45 minutes a day and i don't have to charge it for at least 2 weeks.

That would give you a battery life of about 7 - 10,5 hours. Sure, it is not the end of the world (that is within the range of a good android tablet), but it is quite bad compared to other ebook-reader.

The Paperwhite (and other 6" devices) lasts for about 6 weeks (based on 30 minutes of reading per day), which sums up to 21 hours.

The bigger 7,8" Pocketbook Inkpad 3 lasts 4 weeks (based on 30 minutes of reading per day), which sums up to 14 hours.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:52 PM   #102
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
That would give you a battery life of about 7 - 10,5 hours. Sure, it is not the end of the world (that is within the range of a good android tablet), but it is quite bad compared to other ebook-reader.
i'm sure it's longer than 10.5 hours. it was only a guestimate and i don't really remember the last time i plugged it in to charge. besides that, i'm sure if someone can do a full test, that adding up daily 1/2 hour reading sessions would not come out to be the same as daily 2 hour (or 4 hour, etc.) reading sessions.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:23 PM   #103
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
i'm sure it's longer than 10.5 hours. it was only a guestimate and i don't really remember the last time i plugged it in to charge. besides that, i'm sure if someone can do a full test, that adding up daily 1/2 hour reading sessions would not come out to be the same as daily 2 hour (or 4 hour, etc.) reading sessions.
The math showing why those do not add up to the same total is in:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=138778
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:31 AM   #104
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
My Oasis 2 is really bad compared to other ereaders. I have to charge it more often than my Forma or my Glowlight Plus 2, even though I use it less. It really is more like a tablet for battery life.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #105
rem736
purpose priority passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The math showing why those do not add up to the same total is in:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=138778
wow. j.p.s. actually did the calculations. thanks.