Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #1
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Thinner is not always better

It seems they keep trying to make devices thinner. I don't much see the point. If it is laying on a table who cares if the thickness is 1/4 inch or 1/8th? Doesn't make a difference in the pocket it can fit in either, that's just a function of screen size. In general I would prefer a bit more thickness because it simply is easier to grip. Holding small items for long periods causes hand fatigue. I wish they would consider this even if it leaves a lot of empty space inside the device.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
It seems they keep trying to make devices thinner. I don't much see the point. If it is laying on a table who cares if the thickness is 1/4 inch or 1/8th? Doesn't make a difference in the pocket it can fit in either, that's just a function of screen size. In general I would prefer a bit more thickness because it simply is easier to grip. Holding small items for long periods causes hand fatigue. I wish they would consider this even if it leaves a lot of empty space inside the device.
For me it's not so much the thinness, but the tiny bezels. There's no need for a fat top bezel, but the rest of them should be comfortable to grip. I don't balance my readers on my palm like I do with my phone, I hold them by the edge (bottom or side bezel). So the nonexistent bezels are a no-no for me.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I hold mine. Thin, smaller, almost no bezel makes it hard to grip (and I don't have arthritic hands; yet) without touching the screen. I have resorted to adding a case, which adds all that WEIGHT they removed for the sake of sales hype
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #4
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Counter point: one can always add a case to a device to add thickness (and protection). As devices thick or thin most often need a case (for those of us without infinite money), starting out thick already means the end result is thicker still.

Thinner devices mean a larger screen is still "one hand usable".

There are better and worse ergonomics in devices whether they are thin or thick.

I recently found my original iPad in a closet. I now use the new iPad Mini. OMG. The original iPad feels like a brick in comparison. I never thought so when I first got it (and I preOrdered the day people first could).

I have thought "I'd rather have more battery than thinness", but I've never thought a device was "too thin". One can add a battery case...but you can't make an originally thick device thin.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:54 AM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
For me it's not so much the thinness, but the tiny bezels. There's no need for a fat top bezel, but the rest of them should be comfortable to grip. I don't balance my readers on my palm like I do with my phone, I hold them by the edge (bottom or side bezel). So the nonexistent bezels are a no-no for me.
huh? Lot of people read in Landscape... & 1 handed then bigger bezel makes it easy to hold.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2019, 11:55 AM   #6
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Ergonomics are very important for me, so I agree with that. A thicker device with rounded edges and not too narrow bezels is perfect. For example, the latest Kindle Paperwhite has these properties and is really easy to hold. However, when I am at home I hardly ever hold my devices, because I have repetitive strain injuries in my hands. So I always use some kind of stand or a "Book Seat". When I am on the bus, I always use my devices in their case, which makes them thicker automatically. On longer commutes, on the train, I take the devices out of their case for less weight and use them with a hand strap.
But I never understood why Sony produces devices with such sharp edges and pointy corners! That's the opposite of ergonomics.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
huh? Lot of people read in Landscape... & 1 handed then bigger bezel makes it easy to hold.
Yes, that's what I meant. The bezels should not be too small.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:22 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
A device with a 6" screen could be a bit thicker than currently typical, without bezels, and with rocker page turn buttons on the sides. That would be very pocketable and have room for a decent battery.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
A device with a 6" screen could be a bit thicker than currently typical, without bezels, and with rocker page turn buttons on the sides. That would be very pocketable and have room for a decent battery.
How do you hold it if it has no bezels? On the palm? Well, good for you, but I have too small hands to hold a 6'' device that way. I need those bezels.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:54 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
For me it's not so much the thinness, but the tiny bezels. There's no need for a fat top bezel, but the rest of them should be comfortable to grip.
And yet the Nook Glowlight 3 still gets ragged on due to its bezels on this very board.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

Quote:
For me it's not so much the thinness, but the tiny bezels. There's no need for a fat top bezel, but the rest of them should be comfortable to grip.
And yet the Nook Glowlight 3 still gets ragged on due to its bezels on this very board.
There are bezels that are large enough to be useful and there are bezels that makes you think about a late 1950's car tailfins
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cadillac1001.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	760.8 KB
ID:	171969  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #12
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I have Kindle Voyages, which I'm told are bezel-less. What is a bezel?

As to thickness, I really notice that when I switch between a Paperwhite 2 and a Basic 7. The Basic 7 or 8 is much thinner and lighter. They are in similar covers. Obviously, the Basic 8 doesn't have lighting, which likely accounts for it.

I had to buy a thicker cover (Fintie) for my Glo3 because i and the original B&t kept getting knocked off the bed and the original B&N cover just wasn't sturdy enough for that.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:02 PM   #13
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
^^^ the bezel is the area in front surrounding the screen, where you can put your thumb without touching it covering the screen.

Unfortunately, what's pleasing to the eyes isn't necessarily what's pleasing to the touch or to hold. The most comfortable e-reader I've held is the nook with wide bezels and curved corners that looks kind of ugly.

Metal/ glass back looks premium but isn't comfortable to hold, so you have to slap on a big plastic or leather case and basically it's there to look good in the ads.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #14
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
It’s true. My Kobo Clara HD slips right out of my hands if I don’t have it in the sleepcover. It’s ridiculously thin.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #15
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I agree with leebase. Don't you put it in a case anyway or does that make it too thick?
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote