Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-13-2019, 09:13 PM   #1
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Whispersync for Kindle app screwed up

I’m having issues lately with Whispersync not syncing with the Kindle for iOS app. I manually synced on both my iPad and my iPhone today (May 13) and both say it last synced on April 21 and wants to take me back a few chapters. I never had this issue before. I just installed iOS 12.3 on both devices, but doubt it is connected to the issue.

Last edited by OtinG; 05-14-2019 at 09:19 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I think maybe it is. Mine was working fine yesterday, updated to 12.3, and now, its not working at all. It not only wont give me the latest location, its as if its never been synced.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #3
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine had been working fine too prior to the update, and now it cannot even keep track of where I am in a book on the same device, much less across multiple devices. Hopefully Amazon will figure out what is broken because of the 12.3 update and get it fixed soon. For now I'm having to look at the location numbers and do a manual sync when I switch devices. Hopefully the bug doesn't mess up my highlighted passages and bookmarks.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It is working fine for me AFAICT, but have only checked a couple of books.

What do you mean by ‘on the same device’? It prompts for a new location on the same device?

That said, I’ve been disappointed by the responses I get when I try to report bugs with the in-app Feedback option. It is just ‘we are sorry but we cannot help you, please call us’ when I’ve said explicitly that I don’t need help but am just reporting a bug and to please pass it on to the developers. Not ‘your description of the bug was not clear can you please call us’ or ‘thank you for letting us know, we will make sure to look into it’. It seems just a waste of my time and probably theirs.

Two recent examples:

- cannot reduce selection of an existing highlight
- TOC is not updated when launching a different book from Kindle Widget

I may try sending a screen recording next time but not sure Kindle-feedback accepts attachments.

By contrast Libby people were very responsive when I reported an issue. Unfortunately the issue (which later on they said they were aware of) has still not been fixed...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:09 PM   #5
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
What do you mean by ‘on the same device’? It prompts for a new location on the same device?
I opened the Kindle app on my iPhone XR earlier today and was on location 10024, which is the actual farthest point I’ve read to in this book. I manually synced and the message box said farthest point read was only 7608 and asked if I wanted to go there. Um, no, not even close! Opened the Kindle app on my iPad Pro and it also thought the farthest point read to was 7608. Totally screwed up. For the past day or so it cannot seem to understand that I have read way beyond location 7604.

ETA 1: I just checked on my Nexus 7 G2 tablet and the location of farthest read is 9613 for that book. So screwed up on Android too! Maybe it is an Amazon server glitch. Interesting that the location is different on the Nexus than on the iOS devices, although all three are incorrect.

ETA 2: Add my Kindle Basic (2017?) to the list of apps/devices on which Whispersync is screwed up. It too seems to be unable to record a location beyond 7604 for some reason.

Last edited by OtinG; 05-15-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Advert
Old 05-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #6
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Over the past two days since updating to iOS 12.3 I have had at least 40 app updates each on my iPhone and iPad, but none of those apps were Kindle. This morning I had a Kindle update for my Macs though, so maybe they are working on one for iOS too, although the the Mac version would not be related to any iOS issues of course.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I don’t know if they’ve fixed this one, but in Immersion Reading, sometimes it would prompt for location update switching between audiobook player and text! With playback in progress no less.

I’m guessing there could be situations where internet connection is not available when you’re reading and switching away from Kindle app, and location update would not get to server. But that does not sound like what you are seeing.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote