Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 02-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #241
Jerola
Jerola began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can anyone recommend a basic MP3 player?

I've been using my trusty Sony Walkman but it is old now and has issues.

I want something dedicated to AUDIO files - don't want extras that include video or ebooks or anything else.

I also download lectures and documentaries from YouTube so I just want a device that plays my MP3 and WMA files, no apps or anything needed.

Oh, and most importantly, it needs to have a button that allows me to rewind 5 or 15 seconds if I miss something. My Sony Walkman won't allow me to just go back a few seconds, it takes me back to the previous audio file.

I thought it would be easy to find such a thing but it's not.

Love the idea of swimming while listening. Those training for the Olympics now can read books while they train?

Last edited by Jerola; 02-22-2019 at 06:16 PM. Reason: adding extra info
Jerola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:53 PM   #242
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
@jerola: Yes, I love being able to listen to books while I swim, though I'm afraid I've missed my chance at the Olympics. I use my Delphin for that, but it's hardly what I'd call 'basic', and the price is pretty steep.

As for an MP3 player that's just an MP3 player? Not sure. I know some like Sansa Clip, but don't know about features on it. And there's always iPods. The Nano was a good size for me, and handles most things I needed it to do.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #243
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Has anyone discovered a new MP3 player that is a good fit for audiobooks? I looked several months ago (and asked here as well). Back then, there really wasn't anything that grabbed my interest other than the AGPTEK G05, but now that particular player can't be found for purchase. Just a few months, and whammo, it's gone. Wish I would have bought one back then.

So I have continued using my ancient Sansa Clip running Rockbox. This device is pretty much the ultimate IMHO, and I plan to continue using it as long as it continues working. But its days are numbered due to its advanced age. It could go belly up at any moment. So I like to keep an eyes open for new MP3 player offerings that might be a suitable replacement.

Any recent discoveries that are worth noting? If by some luck I find a good choice, I'll buy it even though my Sansa Clip is still working. These MP3 players seem to be all made in China now, and they come and go monthly. Find one today, and it will probably be discontinued in a few weeks (e.g., the AGPTEK G05).

p.s. - I am looking for something that will play side loaded MP3 audiobooks that I already have, not something that is tied into an audio bookstore for purchase (e.g., I couldn't care less if the player does Audible, because I'm not going to go and re-buy my audiobooks from there).

p.p.s - I am not looking for a Smartphone app either, I want a super small stand-alone player with physical buttons that I can use by feel.

I have skimmed Amazon and nothing stood out. I have skimmed the Rockbox website, and it appears that nothing currently made (for several years) is compatible with that fantastic firmware. Maybe some high-end players might be, but I'm not going to spend a couple of hundred dollars on something as simple as an audiobook player device.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:14 PM   #244
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Speaking of waterproof, can anyone recommend a Bluetooth shower speaker? I'm not terribly concerned with the sound quality or any bells and whistles.
There's a $10 one at Amazon (BonBon), but the one I got for my brother was about $8 at the big box hardware store. Works fine for the purpose. Just make sure that you get a device that matches the bluetooth version. The first one I bought worked fine with his Itouch but wouldn't work with the Sansa.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #245
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Has anyone discovered a new MP3 player that is a good fit for audiobooks?
FWIW, I found a really cheap MP3 player on Amazon that I noted one member here has and likes.

A Ruizu X26 "Used - Like New" for $6.61. Free Amazon Prime shipping.

I figured why not give it a try? It cost less than lunch out at a fast food place. At the very least, it should serve as a backup device if (and when) my Sansa Clip finally fails. I'm not expecting much, so I shouldn't be too disappointed!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oops - this above link now shows "currently unavailable". I guess I bought the last (only?) one.

Still on the lookout for any MP3 players that are known to be good for audiobooks. I like the dedicated use, small form factor, physical buttons, and inexpensive nature of the el-cheapo devices.

I used an old smart phone (no service, but still ran apps) and also a Fire tablet to listen to audiobooks for a while, but I quickly tired of having to pull the device out of it's case, enter a password to wake the screen, and find the "pause" or "rewind" button in the user interface when walking around.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:09 PM   #246
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Very cool thing. I went in for my semi-annual hearing aid check at Miracle Ear and they upgraded my Genesis hearing aid for free! Now I can hear my audiobooks, phone, other stuff directly through my hearing aid! It is SO COOL when I drive on errands. I don't have to fumble with a separate mini-speaker (I have a 20 year old car, no bluetooth) and it's very clear. Adds at least an hour of listening time per day, sometimes more depending on situation.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #247
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
That's fantastic, Tarana!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:37 AM   #248
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Very cool thing. I went in for my semi-annual hearing aid check at Miracle Ear and they upgraded my Genesis hearing aid for free! Now I can hear my audiobooks, phone, other stuff directly through my hearing aid! It is SO COOL when I drive on errands. I don't have to fumble with a separate mini-speaker (I have a 20 year old car, no bluetooth) and it's very clear. Adds at least an hour of listening time per day, sometimes more depending on situation.
Very cool! Takes it from a remedy to an augmentation - you have a cyborg super power! I got my first cyborg parts this year, if a dental bridge counts.

I picked up a set of "true wireless" earbuds around the beginning of the year. They've bought me a decent amount of listening time just by being super comfortable and easy to keep charged, having the case as a power bank. I use them around the house all the time, which I never used to do with headphones. Mine are Soundcore, an Anker label. Anker does a lot of very solid budget electronics, especially bluetooth audio.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:55 PM   #249
Complete
Complete began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
i use a Sansa Clip+ and a 200 GB micro SD card and Rockbox for the OS

as a backup i have one of those AGPtek MP3 players that has like a 70-hour battery but it doesnt have a clip so its somewhat less useful than the Sansa. Also the filesystem is poor, files dont stack alphabetically for some reason unless they are all loaded at one time

Last edited by Complete; 03-25-2020 at 03:57 PM.
Complete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:16 PM   #250
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I just got a new AGPTEK mp3 player--my old one still works fine but has lost a lot of battery life (down to about 6 hours from 20+), so I figured it was time for a new one after three and a half years. It's a different model, with more internal storage (16gb), but basically the same.

I'll use the old one for music, since it still has plenty of juice for that purpose, and the new one for audiobooks. I'm quite pleased with AGPTEK, both quality and price.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:21 AM   #251
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I just got a new AGPTEK mp3 player--my old one still works fine but has lost a lot of battery life (down to about 6 hours from 20+), so I figured it was time for a new one after three and a half years. It's a different model, with more internal storage (16gb), but basically the same.

I'll use the old one for music, since it still has plenty of juice for that purpose, and the new one for audiobooks. I'm quite pleased with AGPTEK, both quality and price.
I got a waterproof AGPTEK MP3 player a year ago to replace my beloved Aerb which also had lost much battery life. I couldn’t find a replacement Aerb and chose AGPTEK because it seemed so similar in form and function (and price). Unfortunately, in use it proved flaky and unreliable and I ended up going back to the Aerb and keeping the AGPTEK on hand only as a backup - the reverse of my original intent.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #252
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My Onkyo DP-X1A died. It would not turn on. I sent it to Squaretrade for repair since I still had seven months of warranty left. They decided that it could not be repaired and three days later there was a check in the mail. I really wanted to buy another one, but ultimately made the decision not to. It is still one of the best players, but the price has almost tripled since I bought mine and the Android OS is still 5. Some apps are no longer supported on Android 5. I got a really good deal on a FIIO 11 and am loving it. The touch screen is a dream and it runs all of my apps, holds all of my music and audiobooks.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #253
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I just upgraded my iPhone 8 plus to a iPhone 11 Pro Max. The big advantage for audiobooks is that I don't have to remove this one from the mophie case to plug it in my car. The other advantage is twice the space so I can load more books on it. Not a biggie, but I can load some of my favorite series in collections and have those available if I want a break from my up-next list.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:29 PM   #254
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
My brand-new AGPTEK just died. I connected it to my PC, left it plugged in for maybe 10 minutes or so while deciding what audiobook files to transfer, and then saw that the computer wasn't recognizing it and, more alarmingly, that it had gotten hot to the touch.

When I disconnected it wouldn't power on, even after it cooled off. It will power on when connected to a wall charger, but then turns off, and begins getting hot again. Looks like the date/time have reset to zero; no idea if my files on it have been disappeared.

Since it's still in the 30-day return window, I'm having Amazon replace it, though I'm a little leery and a lot annoyed. Funny thing is, just this morning I put the box it came in into the recycling bin. Oops.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 02:47 PM   #255
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Since it's still in the 30-day return window, I'm having Amazon replace it, though I'm a little leery and a lot annoyed. Funny thing is, just this morning I put the box it came in into the recycling bin. Oops.
How does this one compare to previous models you've had in terms of build quality and function?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote