Old 07-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #62
Mac Jones
Connoisseur
Mac Jones began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Great!

This is a very much needed mod.

thanks

Last edited by Mac Jones; 07-04-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Advert
Old 07-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #63
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Thanks a bunch, you got me into an experimenting mood.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:24 AM   #64
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Here is what I think a usable version of my "last page" screensaver hack (with normal firmware update files now).
I changed icon to look like a small lock, in PDF mode it's placed in the bottom left corner (replaces percentage info), in all other modes - in the top right corner (replaces wireless and battery icons).

Note, this is a potentially dangerous hack - if I made a mistake or something goes wrong, your Kindle will be bricked. Update process itself (check install.sh) is very careful - I only update a known version of original Kindle firmware jar file, check that patched file is correct and only after that replace the original one. I recommend that you take some anti-bricking precautions or wait for success reports from other forum users.

I'll post some screenshots shortly

Update: use version 0.03

Last edited by ebs; 07-06-2009 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:35 AM   #65
SalvaG
Enthusiast
SalvaG is on a distinguished road

Tested, works perfectly. Thank you very much!
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 04:49 AM   #66
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs View Post
I'll post some screenshots shortly
Here are screenshots and a new version (uninstal v0.02 first, if you have installed it).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unlocked.gif
Views:	3340
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	31726   Click image for larger version

Name:	locked.gif
Views:	3382
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	31727   Click image for larger version

Name:	unlocked_pdf.gif
Views:	3371
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	31728   Click image for larger version

Name:	locked_pdf.gif
Views:	3281
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	31729  
Attached Files
File Type: gz screensaver-lp-0.03.tar.gz (35.5 KB, 1179 views)
Old 07-06-2009, 04:54 AM   #67
Mac Jones
Connoisseur
Mac Jones began at the beginning.

Thank you very much. This is fantastic!

This is perhaps a mandatory modification for anyone using PDF files.

(We would all grow old waiting for Amazon to do anything )

Last edited by Mac Jones; 07-06-2009 at 04:59 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #68
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Give this man (woman?, doesn't matter) some karma. Great job!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #69
unrequited
Zealot
unrequited doesn't litterunrequited doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 DX
Quote:
Here are screenshots and a new version (uninstal v0.02 first, if you have installed it).
Question/feature request... is there any way to get the normal screensaver images to pop up when you manually sleep the DX or will this hack change both behaviors of the automatic and manual sleep to last page?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #70
ebs
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrequited View Post
Question/feature request... is there any way to get the normal screensaver images to pop up when you manually sleep the DX or will this hack change both behaviors of the automatic and manual sleep to last page?
Manual and automatic sleeps are handled identically by the java UI framework, in fact, without changing the behavior of powerd (power management daemon) there is no way to distinguish how sleep event was generated.
It can be done, but I'm not going to spend any more time on this thing - it was a good exercise, but I'd rather focus on fixing/replacing abysmal native PDF support.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #71
unrequited
Zealot

Understood and no worries. Thank you for hammering out a easy-peasy update and removal. While I have no use for it, it's probably godsend for those who are using this for sheetmusic.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #72
whitepaper
whitepaper began at the beginning.

Marvelous, ebs!

You did some very good experiments on the DX! Can't wait to see new cool thing for DX.

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #73
unrequited
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrequited View Post
Understood and no worries. Thank you for hammering out a easy-peasy update and removal. While I have no use for it, it's probably godsend for those who are using this for sheetmusic.
...I guess Amazon picked up on the vibe here because today's blog entry was about releasing sheet music. I wonder how that'll work for the people who don't have your hack. > )
Old 07-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #74
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

This should probably be stickied. People will be asking this question for a while.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #75
Jagasian
Jagasian began at the beginning.

Quote:
Manual and automatic sleeps are handled identically by the java UI framework, in fact, without changing the behavior of powerd (power management daemon) there is no way to distinguish how sleep event was generated.
It can be done, but I'm not going to spend any more time on this thing - it was a good exercise, but I'd rather focus on fixing/replacing abysmal native PDF support.
Many people have requested a way to "lock" a Kindle so that accidental button presses don't change anything. Your hack can be used for this because manual sleep mode locks the kindle.
Closed Thread