Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 05-30-2020, 12:02 AM   #1
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
Unhappy Kindle, Nook and Libera not running or updating on Likebook Mars

The Kindle app was not running on my Likebook Mars this morning. Since I had an epub to read on Libby, I used that instead. This evening, the Kindle app still wasn't working. I went to Google Play to update my apps. It updated other apps but not the Kindle app, the Nook app, or Libera. It ended up uninstalling the Nook app and reporting that it could not install it. It would just stall and fail to update the other two. It would also not let me run them. I rebooted and cleared the Google Play cache, but it didn't help. I uninstalled the Kindle app, but I still could not reinstall the Kindle app. The Kindle Lite app works, but I prefer the regular Kindle app. Is anyone having similar problems? Or does anyone know what else I can do?
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:13 AM   #2
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
The Kindle app (v8.30) still works on the Alita which must be pretty similar to the Mars. I don’t use the Kindle app though and have had so many problems that I stick with Librera or the Boyue reading app. There’s plenty of ways to convert mobi files to epub short of a better solution.

Last edited by bazz2004; 05-30-2020 at 03:15 AM.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2020, 12:47 PM   #3
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz2004 View Post
The Kindle app (v8.30) still works on the Alita which must be pretty similar to the Mars.
Google Play says the latest version is 8.30.1.0.(1.3.222447.0), and it was updated on May 19, 2020. Does that fully match the version running on your device?
Old 05-30-2020, 01:15 PM   #4
fduniho
Addict

Like it did for the Nook app, Google Play is now telling me that it cannot download Amazon Kindle.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:32 PM   #5
fduniho
Addict

It's not just Google Play. I have been unable to download the Kindle app using the Boyue app store, the Goodereader app store, or Aptoide. I'm thinking there might be some corruption or incomplete uninstall on the device that is preventing any app store from downloading the Kindle app, but I don't know what to look for.
Advert
Old 05-31-2020, 10:01 PM   #6
fduniho
Addict

While using the Likebook Mars on the treadmill today, I eventually got tired of reading fiction, which I was using Moon+ Reader and Libby for, and wanted to switch to non-fiction. Since I couldn't use the Kindle app, I remembered that I had bought a non-fiction title with Google Play Books. But when I tried to run it, it did not run. Noticing that I had many apps running, I closed most of them and tried again, but it still did not run. I then decided to try the Kobo app, since I have some Kobo books from when my main ereader was a Kobo. But the Kobo app was no longer installed. I'm now trying to download the Kobo app, but it is doing the same thing when I try to download the Kindle or Nook apps. So, I cancelled that. Since Google Play Books wasn't working, I uninstalled it and tried reinstalling it. But that didn't work, and now it is reporting that it cannot install Google Play Books.

Whatever is going on is preventing me from using the four main commercial ereading apps: Kindle, Kobo, Nook, and Google Play, as well as Librera. I'm beginning to wonder if there is a virus or malware that is targeting ereading apps. I really don't know why this should be happening.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:55 PM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
@fduniho:
did you insert a SD card?
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:35 AM   #8
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

"Google Play says the latest version is 8.30.1.0.(1.3.222447.0), and it was updated on May 19, 2020. Does that fully match the version running on your device?" - fduniho

Yes exactly the same.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:43 AM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"Google Play says the latest version is 8.30.1.0.(1.3.222447.0), and it was updated on May 19, 2020. Does that fully match the version running on your device?" - fduniho

Yes exactly the same.
If these apps are installed on SD card and the sd is defective, then these appearances happen.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:41 AM   #10
bazz2004
Groupie

"If these apps are installed on SD card and the sd is defective, then these appearances happen." - ottischwenk.

That's possible as Boyue fail to prepare you for the formatting choices when you pop in an SD card. You get two options and if you choose the wrong one, as I did, you can end up later doing a factory reset. That's no fun because it's a long way back.

Hopefully fduniho is not in this position but I'll be interested to hear about how to recover the device if he is.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:35 PM   #11
fduniho
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
If these apps are installed on SD card and the sd is defective, then these appearances happen.
Yes, I had an SD card formatted for adoptable storage. I did a factory reset and tried to reformat the SD card for portable storage, but it still reports that my SD card is unsupported. After doing this, I installed Google Play Books, the Kindle app, the Kobo app, and the Nook app. The Nook app is finally working, though it won't display definitions in a large enough area to read the definitions. I still have more to do to get things back to normal, but things are looking up now.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:47 PM   #12
bazz2004
Groupie

I don't understand what you mean by "adoptable storage" but I can say that the SD card should be set up for external storage. How do I know that? Well I was surprised at the lack of clarity in the guide and contacted Boyue. When answering my questions they said that it was important to set up the SD card for external storage. A pity that don't let you know in the user guide so you make the right choices at the start.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:58 PM   #13
fduniho
Addict

Quote:
I don't understand what you mean by "adoptable storage".
Here's a link: https://source.android.com/devices/storage/adoptable
Old 06-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #14
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
I don't understand what you mean by "adoptable storage" but I can say that the SD card should be set up for external storage. How do I know that? Well I was surprised at the lack of clarity in the guide and contacted Boyue. When answering my questions they said that it was important to set up the SD card for external storage. A pity that don't let you know in the user guide so you make the right choices at the start.
It is not particularly wise to format the card as external with an SD tray - simply because a tray is not designed for card exchange.
I have formatted a Samsung 512 Evo Plus as internal in my Alita - works wonderfully
Old 06-01-2020, 04:25 PM   #15
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
SD-cards have history of creating problems on Android e-readers. Can you not install it in base RAM? Alternately, you could install a previous version via an apk.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote