Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-26-2008, 05:23 AM   #1
ichor
ichor began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Post Cant delete mobipocket .prc files

hi i had recently subscribed to a few RSS feeds and now about 10 of them are corrupt files.

i tried to delete them using the linux rm command but it says read-only file system.
i cant delete them using my windows-based PC too.

any help appreciated.

thanks
ichor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Maybe I'm missing an obvious fact, but what are these files ON ? A computer, a Kindle, a Sony, .... ?? From a Linux command line, you should be able to change the permission on the file, so it is NOT read-only.

chmod 755 file.name
rm file.name
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichor View Post
hi i had recently subscribed to a few RSS feeds and now about 10 of them are corrupt files.

i tried to delete them using the linux rm command but it says read-only file system.
i cant delete them using my windows-based PC too.

any help appreciated.

thanks
I had this problem too. The answer is (straight from the people at iRex), to copy your uncorrupted files to the PC. Then use the disk formatting program of your choice to reformat the iLiad's internal drive in FAT32 format. Then copy your files back to the iLiad, and everything will be fine again.

In Linux I used the command:

mkfs -t vfat -v -I /dev/sdb

The device name maybe something other than /sdb on your system; check before you start, so you don't format the wrong drive!
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Maybe I'm missing an obvious fact, but what are these files ON ? A computer, a Kindle, a Sony, .... ?? From a Linux command line, you should be able to change the permission on the file, so it is NOT read-only.

chmod 755 file.name
rm file.name
The secret is to look under ichor's name, where it says "Device: iLiad"
Old 02-26-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Welcome to the forum, Ichor.
I hope that Carandol's tip works for you. But if you have any other difficulties, do try posting on the Iliad section of the forum. You are more likely to get an expert response more quickly. (Though just over 12 hours isn't bad.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
ichor
ichor began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
??

im a newbie to linux.. how do i check which drive i need to format?

thanks
ichor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #7
carandol
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichor View Post
im a newbie to linux.. how do i check which drive i need to format?
I don't know which version of Linux you're using. I'm using Mepis, which is KDE-based, and when I click on the icon for the iLiad on the desktop, it opens a window, and the title bar of the window is "media:/sdb". Assuming your Linux does the same, the bit after the / is the bit you should put after /dev/ in the command. I'm not an expert on the command line either, so if you need a more technical explanation, you'll have to hope someone else answers!
Old 03-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
enzio
enzio began at the beginning.

Device: None
If it says that the file system is mounted as read-only it may also not allow you to reformat the drive. If you find this to be the case, you may need to un-mount and remount (see the man pages for "mount" and "umount") in order to proceed.
enzio is offline   Reply With Quote