Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-03-2018, 01:23 AM   #1
hotcoffee
hotcoffee began at the beginning.

Device: none
Student Looking for an eReader for book reading & note-taking

Hey there, I'm hoping some of y'all might be able to help me. I'm a college student finally considering hopping on the e-reader bandwagon (I'm a big lover of physical books), and I've done some research on the existing market but I haven't quite found a good fit for my needs. Basically, I'd like something:

- E-ink
- 6" - 8" (the smaller/lighter the better)
- Relatively durable
- Capable of reading both books and pdfs (without reformating)
- Capable of highlighting/underlining etc that gathers highlighted sections for later review
- Handwritten note-taking/annotation with a stylus

Ideally, it would also have buttons for page-turning, a pressure-sensitive stylus, and a front light, but those aren't priorities. I don't care about Bluetooth, audio, web browsing, games/apps, color, or multitasking.

any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated! thanks
hotcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I don't know of an ereader which can take notes via a stylus. Maybe take a look at the REmarkable (I think I've put the caps in the correct place) but this is intended as a note-taking device rather than an ereader.

I'm sure someone who knows more about what's out there will be along soon.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A 6-8" device is not great for PDFs. I'd suggest looking at 10" devices if PDFs are important for you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:45 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You might want to take a look in our wiki Special:WhatLinksHere/Stylus

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #5
CalbertAmu
Connoisseur
CalbertAmu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Kobo Aura One with KOreader is good with PDFs. I think it is the best ereader for PDFs, though i haven't tried or looked into the new Forma.

I don't think there is a stylus using eink yet within that size. I've seen this though:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/n...hone-monitor#/

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...-e-ink-device/

I'm also looking for something to take notes with on an eink screen, but I think the closest way or most affordable would be to use a physical keyboard connecting via USB otg. I looked up how people were doing it and saw some diy's with Nook and Onyx. I'd be really happy if someone came up with a way to make a physical keyboard work with KA1.

Last edited by CalbertAmu; 12-04-2018 at 10:39 PM. Reason: add link
CalbertAmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:49 PM   #6
nozonyan
Enthusiast
nozonyan began at the beginning.

Device: none
onyx boox nova plus is a 7.8 with stylus support.
nozonyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:10 AM   #7
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Or the delayed without further information, Likebook Mimas. It might be out in the next few weeks. 10.3 inch screen, e-ink screeen with comfort light for late night reading..with wacom text input. It is a larger Likebook Mars with a Wacom screen/stylus system. The videos look great, how it turns out is yet to be seen
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:53 PM   #8
ChrisHistorian76
Enthusiast
ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova Air & Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
Or the delayed without further information, Likebook Mimas. It might be out in the next few weeks. 10.3 inch screen, e-ink screeen with comfort light for late night reading..with wacom text input. It is a larger Likebook Mars with a Wacom screen/stylus system. The videos look great, how it turns out is yet to be seen
The latest info I've seen on the Likebook Mimas is they'll (allegedly) be available on January 24, 2019. That's only one particular site online though. I've seen no confirmation of that date from Likebook. I'm hoping they'll actually be available much earlier than that.
ChrisHistorian76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, comparison, note taking, notepad, recommendation