Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 04-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Launching plugin routines from keyboard or icons

One question that's come up about my plugin from kiwidude is customizing the plugin's icon to change the default action when clicked - this is if I split my toolbar icon so that it can be clicked and have a drop down menu. Right now its just a drop down menu. There is code I can borrow, though I'm not sure if I'll change it yet. (I know I'm not a typical user as I'm always using all the menu options while testing, but when originally using calibre - it seems so long ago - it wasn't clear that clicking on the down arrow gave a menu and it can be fiddly to make sure you click the arrow instead of the icon).

While thinking about this I was wondering if there was a central list of keyboard shortcuts that users could use to assign to plugin's to save adding (borrowed) code myself?

And more than just launching the default routine launched by the plugin, I was wondering if you could choose any one of the menu options to link the shortcut to. It might be that the routines might need to be registered with calibre at startup to make them available to assign to a shortcut.

And in addition to keyboard shortcuts, is it possible to add a separate icon to the toolbar for any particular menu item in a plugin (or on the new optional toolbar - whether default text/user-defined text or even an icon). This way the user can decide what function is run when clicking an icon.

Maybe that needs another plugin - one that just calls the specific routine of another plugin? would that be possible?
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There's no way for a plugin to add more than one icon to a toolbar. But you can create multiple plugins that call each other. The problem there is that you have to handle the case of both plugins not being installed simultaneously.

As for keyboard shortcuts, if you set the QAction to pave self.gui as its parent and assign it a shortcut, then the shortcut will work globally. However, calibre currently has no central clearing house for shortcuts and if you happen to conflict with an existing shorcut bad things ranging from neither shortcut working to calibre crashing will happen.

This is because shortcuts in Qt are a mess. At some point I will have to create a cenrtl clearing house and refactor everything to use, it, but not some time soon
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Thanks.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote