Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 06:55 AM   #16
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I do find it odd that there is a place to enter a tag to use on adding books but, if I understand correctly, it won't work unless you set the tweak to true?
By default, the tags are not added when a book is copied from one library to another. The tweak changes that behavior.

If you have a better way of saying that, I would be happy to change the documentation.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:05 AM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
By default, the tags are not added when a book is copied from one library to another. The tweak changes that behavior.

If you have a better way of saying that, I would be happy to change the documentation.
I understand the tweak, but when you look in the preferences there is a spot to have a tag added to a book when added, without any hint that it won't work until a tweak is changed. Or am I missing something?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #18
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I understand the tweak, but when you look in the preferences there is a spot to have a tag added to a book when added, without any hint that it won't work until a tweak is changed. Or am I missing something?
It does work when a book is added:
- using the 'add books' button and suboptions
- using the 'add books to library' on the device view

It does not add the tags when:
- adding News
- copying from another library

The tweak moves the last one (from another library) from the 'not add' to the 'add' group.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #19
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
It does work when a book is added:
- using the 'add books' button and suboptions
- using the 'add books to library' on the device view

It does not add the tags when:
- adding News
- copying from another library

The tweak moves the last one (from another library) from the 'not add' to the 'add' group.
I think I should quit responding today, I'm obviously lacking a few brain cells today.

The average, brain dead, user like me might think any book added to the library would be treated the same. Thank goodness you and Kovid do these things because obviously transferring between libraries and adding books should be treated differently. Well Done!
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yeah the tweak editor is really sub-optimal, but its the best I could knock together in the available time. Ideally, it would be a list of tweaks and clicking on each one would how you the doc string, the default value and allow you to change the current value. But...
I like it.
It is simple. It works.
And it still lets me make my own errors
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #21
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Itoday, I'm obviously lacking a few brain cells today.
No head smacking needed. You were thinking like a user, thus the tweak. Programmatically, there's a huge difference between Add (where you aren't sure of the author, title and all the other metadata) and Copy to Library where the book is already in validated Calibre Library format.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #22
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yeah the tweak editor is really sub-optimal, but its the best I could knock together in the available time. Ideally, it would be a list of tweaks and clicking on each one would how you the doc string, the default value and allow you to change the current value. But...
In all seriousness, Kovid, I don't think it's sub-optimal at all. As dwanthny says below, it's a lot better than finding and adjusting the file! Also, with it being semi-hidden, it keeps a lot of people out of trouble, I think.

Quote:
I like the tweak edit area, its better then finding and adjusting the file.
--snip
What he said.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #23
bigpallooka
Connoisseur
bigpallooka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo/Tablet PC/Desktop/Laptop
What are 'series' custom columns?

Quote:
The 'series' custom columns are intended for this.

The new grouped_search_terms tweak might also help, giving you a way to create searches that look at several columns.
Um.... what? Is there a tutorial or are we talking advanced users? I have the same issue as the OP for several books.
Regards
bigpallooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #24
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpallooka View Post
Um.... what? Is there a tutorial or are we talking advanced users? I have the same issue as the OP for several books.
Regards
There isn't a tutorial for tweaks. What documentation they have is included with them.

Tweaks aren't intended to be 'advanced'. They provide ways of changing calibre's behavior that are either set-and-forget or too rarely used to justify cluttering the GUI. You change tweaks using preferences -> advanced -> tweaks. Most of this thread discusses how to use the tweaks editor.

The documentation for the tweak you are asking about is shown inpost 6 of this thread.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:52 AM   #25
bigpallooka
Connoisseur

So,
The 'series' custom columns
and
The new grouped_search_terms tweak

Are both tweaks? The same thing? Different but in the same place?

If I know where to look (I have looked in preferences/advanced/tweaks and found a mention of custom columns) I can investigate, analyse, read-up .... then ask my brother to figure it out.
Regards
Old 10-16-2010, 06:10 AM   #26
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpallooka View Post
So,
The 'series' custom columns
and
The new grouped_search_terms tweak

Are both tweaks? The same thing? Different but in the same place?
No. The series custom column is a custom column. See http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/faq.html#id30 for some discussion and a pointer to a tutorial video. A google search found a third-party tutorial here. I can't vouch for this tutorial's accuracy. There are also a lot of threads in this forum. Try searching for custom columns.

Tweaks are settings that change calibre's behavior. See the tweaks preferences page for what tweaks are available.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #27
bigpallooka
Connoisseur

Thanks for that information. There are several good calibre tutorials on the dearauthor.com site that you linked to.

It has occurred to me that as the number of books that this is a problem for is not numerous it might actually be more expedient just to add a duplicate book with the alternative series meta-data in place.

Just as a note of interest: The author Jane Anne Krentz publishes under several pseudonyms (split into historical/contemporary/futuristic) and some of her series span the 3 different pseudonyms. The following is an example of the problem

Arcane Society
1. Second Sight (2006) by Amanda Quick
2. White Lies (2007) by Jayne Ann Krentz
3. Sizzle and Burn (2007) by Jayne Ann Krentz
4. The Third Circle (2008) by Amanda Quick
5. Running Hot (2008) by Jayne Ann Krentz
6. The Perfect Poison (2009) by Amanda Quick

Arcane Society & Dreamlight Trilogy
7 or 1. Fired Up (2009) by Jayne Ann Krentz
8 or 2. Burning Lamp (2010) by Amanda Quick
9 or 3. Midnight Crystal (2010) by Jayne Castle

Arcane Society & Looking Glass Trilogy
10 or 1. In Too Deep (2011) by Jayne Ann Krentz
11 or 2. Quicksilver (2011) by Amanda Quick

What a Mess!
Old 10-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #28
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
What a Mess!
You are right about that.
I handle those things by listing as multiple authors with the psuedoname the book was written under first

example
Donald E Westlake
aka
John B Allen, Curt Clark, Tucker Coe, Timothy J Culver, J Morgan Cunningham, Samuel Holt, Sheldon Lord (with Lawrence Block), Alan Marshall, Allan Marshall, Richard Stark, Edwin West

The Richard Stark series I have author listed as Richard Stark & Donald E. Westlake
The Dortmunder series as Donald E. Westlake

If there is a better way of doing this I would be thrilled to hear it.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #29
bigpallooka
Connoisseur

That is exactly the method I had planned to use to handle the author pseudonym issue. Thanks for confirming that it is a valid method.
Regards