Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-29-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
ghosty86
ghosty86 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Help Deciding Which Reader

Hi,

I am finally going to get an ebook reader but I am unsure of which one is best suited to me.

My usage will be mainly reading PDF files (scanned, mainly text but sometimes with graphics although the graphics arent super important to view).

I know there are various PDF readers out there such as Kindle DX but the problem I have is that I would like a reader the size of a paperback (or at most, a hardback) book. I would obviously like the PDFs to be readable on such a size with the text not being too small and also not having to scroll around to see the entire page (I have an iPhone and this is the main problem I have with viewing PDFs on it).

I also have no problem with converting the PDFs to another format to be readable on the player as long as it will read the same when on the reader with no errors or jumbled pages/text etc.

Other features I have no real need for are WiFi (Prob wont be purchasing books from any online stores, and if I need a software update I can connect the device to my PC) and touchscreen (I would take a touchscreen reader if its the best for my needs otherwise but it would not be a selling point for me as id rather save the money that touchscreen would cost).

The main reason for wanting to avoid a large reader for PDF is I would like to use it in bed and on the train etc and I feel a large reader would be cumbersome for such things and also I dont want people on a train etc looking over my shoulder at what im reading on the huge screen! :P

If there are no devices that currently meet my needs, are there any coming out soon that I should keep an eye on.

Oh, I also live in the UK if that helps for recommendations.

Thanks in advance!
ghosty86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome to MR

Check out the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-book_device for a start to check what might be suitable for you. Plenty of readers about but of course not only a question of file formats but also price (as usual).
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
ghosty86

With regard to price I would obviously like the cheapest reader that meets all of my needs, but I would be willing to pay more for a device if it meant that it could do all I needed it to do.

That link was very informative, thank you. The main problem I have is that some devices are listed as being able to display PDF but I am unsure of how good they are displayed and if it requires scrolling around to view the entire page (like on the iPhone). Also, bookmarks are an important feature for me (although I assume most readers have this function) as I would like it to remember the last page I viewed when I turn it off as this is a problem I currently have viewing PDF's on an iPhone.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I just added a more detailed list of PDF capabilities to the E-book Reader Matrix. I'm not sure any EInk device with a 6" screen will meet your needs, but the two best options are probably the Sony PRS-600 and the PocketBook 301 Plus. You may be able to find a PRS-600 on display in a store to try for yourself. The PocketBook would be mail order, but it has the most full featured PDF reader software (see Pocketbook 360 test diary). The Reader Matrix also lists larger screen devices, which are intrinsically better for A4/letter PDFs but are either expensive or not yet available.

If your scans are images in PDFs, then "reflow" won't work but there are programs that take one page (image or not) and make it into several pages for better viewing on a small screen.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
It's a bit tricky to advise, as the two requirements about PDF viewing & device size tend to work against each other!

Are the PDFs generated for A4 pages, which I'm guessing that scans would suggest, or smaller pages (A5 or even A6)? The other issue with scans would be that they won't be able to be zoomed as text & to reformat beforehand, you'd either need to run them through an OCR process, or one of the PDF2LRF type of utilities here that again end up with a page displaying an image.

I have a suspicion that as you investigate, you'll need that you can't get what you want (6" reader that can display legible A4 PDFs without zooming/scrolling) and you'll either need to consider scrolling/zooming, in which case the Sony Touch might be suitable (maybe put a couple of example docs on an SD card and try them in a shop before you buy), or a larger reader, in which case there are a few possibles, from the IRex DR range through to Kindle DX (not yet in the UK), the Sony Daily (not yet out even in the US) or others (there are a few larger screened readers expected to appear next year).

Sorry that's not more helpful, but hope it's of some use - See the site in my .sig for some notes about specific readers.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
ghosty86

Thanks for the replies.

It seems i'll need to go for a bigger device.....which device is considered the best larger PDF viewer (id rather not go as large as an A4 sized reader). I seen that iRex do an Iliad reader thats 8" is that a good size for PDF?
Old 11-30-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
See this thread - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61848 - It seems that the iRex is very good for PDFs but has a whole load of issues that mean that it's typically a love/hate relationship!

The other option might be the Kindle DX, but that's a personal import only for us in the UK - more here
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:34 AM   #8
Book Depository
Book Depository began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3G S, Kindle
If I wanted an ereader I would consider the following:
- availability of format
- styling and design
It seems there are so many different supported formats on so many different devices that it's hard to make a decision, although I don't think I would by the Kindle purely for the fact that it only supports eBooks from Amazon.

It's a bit restrictive isn't it?

Last edited by Book Depository; 12-01-2009 at 06:36 AM. Reason: typo's
Book Depository is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Depository View Post
although I don't think I would by the Kindle purely for the fact that it only supports eBooks from Amazon.
I'm sorry, but that is completely untrue. You can read any DRM-free Mobipocket book on the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #10
Book Depository

Appologies HarryT, I was unaware of that.

Thats is good news that I didn't know. Obviously I need a bit more research before I speak.

Wouldn't it be great though if it and many other eReaders supported all the formats all time.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:02 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Pretty much every reading device except the Kindle supports ePub. It is becoming very much THE standard, especially here in Europe, where Amazon are very much of a "non presence" (in the eBook market, that is).

Last edited by HarryT; 12-01-2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Clarification.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
Book Depository

Thanks HarryT.

I do like the Kindle for it's lightness and slimness but I found th screen a bit too small for it's actually size. It worked well for me too. I just want to be able to buy eBooks from wherever and use them on the eReader of my choice. Something we are trying to get to ourselves.

I have started a new post about how people search/buy eBooks:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63847

Would love to hear what you think.